TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Oct-2013, 3:00 AM   #1
ryanv

Antenna no workie

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae61e53b4a8e

So I have an old tv antenna attached to the house I purchased and would like to put it to use. I get 1 channel at the moment, which is channel 28 WCMZ-TV and nothing else. At an elevation of approximately 25 feet I would assume it could pick up more. With the a rabbit ear I do much better with results below:

WLNS-DT 6.1 CBS (will occasionally show up tiled otherwise no signal)
WEYI-DT 25.1 NBC(comes in stable)
WCMZ-DT 28 PBS (best reception)
WSMH-DT 66.1 FOX (tiles constant)

As far as the old antenna, the cable had been cut at some point and was left dangling. So I cut it back until cable was good and put a new end on it and connected it to the nice cabling I also use for DTV (I unhook the dtv so its not shared in any way and splitters are removed for this testing). The antenna is facing due west which is and I was thinking to adjust it but it was on a motor that looks like the wiring was cut and left somewhere in the attic.

This is my the little antenna that gets some of the channels:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT111-Bas...productDetails

The big two my wife and I are after we can not get get which is the ABC and CBS
ryanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if the old antenna may be worn out. And you've shown that indoor reception is less than reliable.

Consider replacing the outdoor antenna with an RCA ANT-751R pointed NW. Be sure to use new cable outside so that there are no unneeded splices and all of the cable is a 'known quantity'.

Avoid aiming through trees or buildings if at all possible.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2013, 2:28 PM   #3
ryanv

Thank you so much for the reply, would you recommend an amplifier for with this antenna? If so where would you place it inline? All together I am guessing where I have things set up now I would be looking at 75 of coax before I spite to another tv
ryanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2013, 2:49 PM   #4
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

For reception of the strong signal strength Tv stations to the , north , north west , west , east , and the weaker signal strength Tv stations to the south east.

Above the peak of the roof install a Winegard HD7694P antenna aimed at about 150 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim the HD7694P antenna.

A Winegard DS3000 J pole type antenna mount will work Ok with the HD7694P antenna.

Here are more antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard (911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard (4560) eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard (2212) , ronard (2218) , ronard (2224) , chimney antenna mount.

Install All New RG-6 coax outside.

Use the RG-6 coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

Replace All connection hardware outside with New .

A antenna rotator is not required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter. No Antenna system amplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter. No antenna system amplifier.

---------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.winegarddirect.com

------------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on broadcast Tv reception.

Multi-path / Reflections , bouncing off the trees.

Absorbing and blocking reception.

The Best Pratice is to install the HD7694P antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception in the directions of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan or cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ '
Antenna' channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Oct-2013 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.