TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Nov-2010, 9:40 AM   #1
linter

Need help with reception in distant RI!

Here's a link to my Fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3c0fdb72a0b

Just to see if i could get any reception, I bought a radio shack VU-90 for 10 clams and put it in my 2nd floor TV lounge and got all the channels I wanted, including the two VHS's at 12 and 13. I've recently been informed, however, ha ha, that the big 90 can't stay where it is, nor can it be put on the roof, so I've got to look for an alternative that I can tuck out of the way better.

I was thinking of the CM4228 but then someone told me on another forum that it would not pick up my two VHS channels. Is that exactly true or just most likely true?

So now I'm thinking about the ANT751. Do you think that'd equal at least the VU 90?

And in any case, from what you can see from my report, am I going to need an amp? My upstairs run is currently no more than 15', but the new out-of-the-way one will be maybe 30', and then the run to the first floor is likely to be around 75'.

thanks!
linter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linter View Post
I was thinking of the CM4228 but then someone told me on another forum that it would not pick up my two VHS channels. Is that exactly true or just most likely true?

So now I'm thinking about the ANT751. Do you think that'd equal at least the VU 90?
WNAC and WPRI are on VHF channels. The UHF only VU90 shouldn't get them well. The ANT751 will get the Providence channels fine, but isn't strong enough for Boston. The 4228 works in some VHF situations, yours may be one of them.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 1:47 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

So what is the reason a tv antenna can not go on the roof ?
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 1:49 PM   #4
linter

Thanks for weighing in.

"WNAC and WPRI are on VHF channels. The UHF only VU90 shouldn't get them well." It does, though, just fine.

"The ANT751 will get the Providence channels fine, but isn't strong enough for Boston." Do you think the ANT will get the two VHF stations okay; ie, at least as well as the VU90 does right now? I'm not thinking I'll be getting any Boston stations no matter what, except through dumb luck, so no Boston is okay w/ me.

"The 4228 works in some VHF situations, yours may be one of them." I guess what I'm asking is if the 4228 is likely to do as well as the VU90 when it comes to VFH. Care to hazard a guess? Also, over all, do you think I'd do better w/ the ANT or the 4228? Thanks again!
Old 7-Nov-2010, 2:20 PM   #5
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Why not try a 4228HD or an Antennas Direct XG-91 aimed at 27 degrees AND use an AntennaCraft Y-5-7-13 VHF high-band VHF antenna for channels 12 and 13? use a good preamp like a Channel Master Titan 7777 or a AntennaCraft 10G222, with separate VHF and UHF inputs, and you'll see Providence AND Boston.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 9:10 PM   #6
linter

tigerbangs: sounds like a plan. think i'll spring for the 4228hd / 7777 combo and see how that works, then add the VHF component later. thanks!
Old 8-Nov-2010, 1:20 AM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I grew up in nearby New London, and have actually installed antennas in Wakefield, so I know the pitfalls of Southern Rhode Island TV reception, which is even more complicated now that signals are digital. Good luck with your installation, and let us know how you make out.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
linter

will do. thanks again!

btw/ for anyone shopping for a 4228, the best price I found was at Crutchfield. It's $99.99 but if you add some cheap batteries for $1.99, then use the 20-off-100 code 3A825, the total price comes to just over $80. And here's the thing: that includes shipping. Amazon is about the same price but ... they're out of stock last I looked. Anyway, just an fyi ...

Last edited by linter; 9-Nov-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added best price info
Old 9-Nov-2010, 4:10 PM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linter View Post
Also, over all, do you think I'd do better w/ the ANT or the 4228? Thanks again![/I]
The 4228 should get all Boston stations. The ANT751 might get a few of them.

The performance of the 4228 on VHF is hard to predict for sure, but I'd say better than 80% chance in your location.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
linter

the 4228 is due to arrive tomorrow. will report back ...