TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Dec-2013, 2:34 PM   #1
whistler0

WTXF-TV reception

I finally decided to dump our cable tv a few months back in favor of a OTA/Netflix combination.

I am about halfway between Philadelphia and Baltimore, but based on the analysis I currently have the antenna pointed at Philly.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6fde305c1d

I don't need any of the stations from Baltimore, as I can get everything I am looking for from Philly. My issue is that I can't seem to get WTXF (Fox). I can get WHYY (PBS) just fine, which is coming from the same location at a lower power. I see that there is a possible co-channel issue with WMPT out of baltimore.

Any thoughts on why I can't get Fox but get everything else? If it is a co-channel problem what can I do about it?

I have this antenna on the roof:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_151616-63374...nna&facetInfo=

It is connected through about 40 feet of cable to a two port splitter that goes to my computer and TV. I have tried it without the splitter and that doesn't help.

Thanks!
whistler0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2013, 6:08 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Co-channel interference from WMPT @ 234° is an obvious concern. Don't rule out FM interference either, you can check your FM Fool report for free, and add an FM trap for relatively little cost. The FM trap sold at Radio Shack is fine, and probably the easiest and least expensive next step available.

After that, you can try alternate mounting height and location.

Failing all that, stagger stacked antennas may be successful. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024 This would require some fabricating skills on your part, and some willingness to experiment.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2013, 6:24 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
------
Does reception improve with , Antenna aiming changes , mounting heights changes , antenna location changes.

Aim the antenna at about 65 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointong/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

------------

Also.

Digital Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

-------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflecting signal bouncing all around.

Install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Dec-2013 at 3:52 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 21-Dec-2013, 3:22 AM   #4
whistler0

Ok, the FM trap is $5 so I ordered that, and we will see if that helps. Does it need to be out with the antenna or can I put it inside by the tv? I don't have an amplifier in the system.

I'll try moving the antenna around after that, along with the double rescan.

Fabricating is fine, I was just hoping to not need multiple antennas. But I will study up on those links as well just in case.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 21-Dec-2013, 8:30 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

With no amplifier or splitter in the system the FM trap can be anywhere between the antenna and TV. If you have a splitter, locating the trap between the antenna and splitter protects all connected tuners. If there was an amplifier in the system, the trap needs to be between the antenna and amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jan-2014, 7:28 PM   #6
whistler0

update

It's been a little while, but here is an update.
Got the FM trap, and it didn't seem to help by itself. I got a new mast (actually a 10' piece of galv pipe) and tried the antenna at the top of that which was about 5' higher than the current mast. That didn't help either, I still get everything around WTXF just fine but not it.

I have considered lowering the antenna, because based on the tv fool reports that increases the signal strength difference between WTXF and MPT (if it really is a co-channel problem). I have also heard from other people in the area that getting this channel is an exercise in frustration, but no one I've talked to seems to really know why.

The weird thing is that last Sunday night into Monday morning it suddenly started coming in perfectly with no changes to the antenna or anything. Then by Monday evening it was pretty much gone again, again without having touched anything.
Old 28-Jan-2014, 7:44 PM   #7
No static at all

Looks like you may be SOL for getting Fox out of Philly. Could try something like a 91-XG, but 42 from Annapolis will still likley be a problem since it is exactly 180° opposite of Philly.

Unfortunately this huge oversight by the FCC has many folks around you in the same predicament.

Have you ever tried pointing the antenna towards York or Baltimore to see if either of those Fox affiliates are receivable?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jan-2014, 7:57 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-----
Call the Tv station with a phone , and have a informational chat with the engineering department.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTXF-TV

Do not use text , Do not use email , Do not go to any social jibber jabber web sites.

Call the Tv station with a real and actual phone and speak with the engineering department with a real and actual voice.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jan-2014 at 1:25 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos
Old 28-Jan-2014, 8:02 PM   #9
whistler0

While I had it up on the 10 foot mast I tried pointing at WPMT (York) and WBFF (Baltimore) but had no luck with them either.

Not having Fox wouldn't be too much of a problem, except for this upcoming weekend. I usually have friends over to watch the super bowl, so this year it looks like I'll be streaming it through Aereo or Fox's site.
Old 29-Jan-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
teleview

+=>
----
WTXF is transmitting on UHF channel 42.

WMPT is transmitting on UHF channel 42.

The signal strength of WMPT is Weak at your reception location.

If WMPT is a interfering problem , you can use your own building/house to block the signal from WMPT.

You can use a , www.antennacraft.net , MXU47, UHF antenna.

You will have the , MXU47 down lower to the ground then your big antenna and the house will be blocking WMPT.

And at the same time the MXU47antenna will be at a location that provides enough signal strength for reliable reception of WTXF.

This is Test it and find a good location type of a reception situation.

You will have the MXU47 antenna on a pipe and you will be probing for a good reception location for WTXF and using the building to block WMPT.

Run a continues length of coax from the MXU47 antenna through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv for the reception Test.

If the reception is good.

Then a Remote Control , A/B antenna switch can be used to switch from the Main big antenna to the MXU47 antenna.

Remote control A/B antenna switch , www.mcmelectronics.com , 32-4425 .