TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-May-2014, 5:02 AM   #1
woody777

9 (KUSA) in Fort Collins

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6648ad46141

I'm having a difficult time with channel 9 (KUSA). I have one of these mounted on the roof.

Sometimes I can't get channel 9 at all, sometimes it works flawlessly, sometimes it's watchable but the picture and audio breaks up occasionally, sometimes it comes in but is unwatchable due to breakup.

Any ideas?
woody777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-May-2014, 6:49 AM   #2
teleview

+=>

The tvfool report is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Do Not Delete the tvfool report that is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Please make and post a tvfool report that has 25 feet antenna height above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a reference antenna height that provides a good evaluation of what is receivable.
Old 26-May-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post
I'm having a difficult time with channel 9 (KUSA).

Any ideas?
The internal amplifier in the Lava antenna is probably overloaded by the stronger local TV stations and 100 KW FM stations. To get 9 reliably you will need a different antenna and no preamplifier.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-May-2014, 4:09 PM   #4
woody777

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right about the amplifier in the Lava antenna. I have to turn the amplifier all the way down for best performance, but even then, reception is as described above.

Why is this only affecting channel 9? According to the map, the stations I want to receive are all the same distance and direction. Why do the rest come in perfectly?

Also, what antenna would you recommend? I prefer something compact if possible.
Old 26-May-2014, 5:58 PM   #5
woody777

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>

The tvfool report is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Do Not Delete the tvfool report that is not showing any antenna height above ground.

Please make and post a tvfool report that has 25 feet antenna height above ground.

25 feet antenna height above ground is a reference antenna height that provides a good evaluation of what is receivable.
Here is a new report with 25 feet antenna height above ground.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6b7beebc929

Thanks!
Old 26-May-2014, 6:43 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The Lava antenna would not be on my list of antennas to consider, due to build quality, poor durability, grossly exaggerated performance claims and price.

If you want to receive the Denver stations I'd suggest you use an antenna or combination of antennas with both UHF and High-VHF capability.

If I was in the same situation, I'd start with an Antennas Direct DB8E and an Antennacraft Y10713. The DB8E allows you to aim the two panels independently, so I'd try aiming one panel south and the other west. I'd point the Y10713 south, at the KUSA transmitter. I'd use an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp which has inputs for both antennas... Though I would perform this test before spending any money on the preamp. Don't use a preamp if you don't need it. If the unamplified antennas are able to deliver enough signal on their own, simply use an Antennas Direct UHF/VHF signal combiner instead of the preamp.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-May-2014, 8:13 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post
I prefer something compact if possible.
The Y10-7-13 is the right antenna for KUSA. The UHF antenna can be smaller and cheaper, such as a 4 bay, if you are willing to settle for the Denver stations only. I'd try the UVSJ before I bought the preamp. (Or order both and decide later which to actually use.)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-May-2014, 8:48 PM   #8
teleview

+=>

The Lava antennas are pure and absolute junk.

Cheap plastic.

Cheap Soft aluminum.

Cheap metal that corrodes fast.

Cheap little electric motor and gears that turns antenna.

A Cheap amplifier that overloads easy.

--------------

The Number 1 situation/problem with reception along the front range is Multi-Path Tv signals bouncing off the hills and mountains , trees and tree leaves.

For reception at your location install antenna that is directional to a greater degree in the forward direction so as to reduce the reception of Multi-Path.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU44 antenna aimed at about 187 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

--------------

A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

---------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
Install the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.
Measure around the chimney and install a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.

----

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch lengths of 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes good antenna mast pipe , the price is low at about 10 dollars.

Last edited by teleview; 29-May-2014 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 28-May-2014, 3:30 AM   #9
woody777

Thanks for the suggestions.

Those are HUGE antennas. Is that the only way to get channel 9? Why does 7 come in perfectly? Shouldn't I be having similar issues with channel 7? Is there something specific about channel 9?

Also, is a preamp always needed for cable runs of 50 plus feet? Or is it more complicated than that?
Old 28-May-2014, 6:03 AM   #10
teleview

+=>

You can Test reception with a , www.channelmasterstore.com ,

CM4228HD antenna aimed at about 187 degree magnetic compass direction.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone or tablet or etc. compass.

Test reception With Out a antenna system amplifier.

And Test reception With a , CM7778 preamplifier.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com

Last edited by teleview; 29-May-2014 at 9:05 PM.
Old 28-May-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is that the only way to get channel 9?
You could try either the Y5-7-13 or a ClearStream 5. However, sometimes size DOES matter and this may well be one of those times. However, either would be well expected to outperform the single curved VHF element on your existing antenna.

Quote:
Why does 7 come in perfectly?
Why does a blind squirrel sometimes find an acorn?

Quote:
Is there something specific about channel 9?
Yes. Either the antenna happens to be in a "dead" spot for that channel (relocate the antenna and try again) or there is some localized electrical or electronics interference source affecting it. It might be local FM, it might be some other innocent looking device like a solar cell, a battery charger, a computer/power supply, a CFL/LED light, or even those up to100K FM stations nearby whose signals all combine in the cheap amplifier in your existing antenna.

Quote:
Also, is a preamp always needed for cable runs of 50 plus feet?
No. It's only needed if the signals coming off the antenna's terminals are too weak to otherwise make it through all distribution cabling and into the tuner with sufficient remaining strength for reliable operation.

Quote:
Or is it more complicated than that?
Yes. Much more. Amplifiers are often viewed as a panacea for all reception ills. They are not. Amplifiers, when needed, should be selected for the appropriate combination of input noise, gain, and how they behave in the presence of strong signals. There are only a few amplifiers that do everything very well as amplifiers are always some sort of compromise.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 28-May-2014 at 10:17 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2014, 9:12 PM   #12
woody777

If I went with a DB8E and a Y10713, would an attic install be okay?
Old 2-Jun-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
ADTech

Impossible to say since no one knows what the signal environment in your attic might be. All you can do is try it and see.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 3-Jun-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
teleview

+=>

Attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

The Only Way to discover if reliable reception will happen in the attic is to install the antennas in the attic and see what happens.
Old 5-Jun-2014, 5:31 PM   #15
woody777

Would the Antennacraft U8000 be a decent alternative to the DB8E at half the price?
Old 8-Jun-2014, 2:13 AM   #16
GroundUrMast

The DB8E offers slightly better gain than the U8000. That by itself is not a dramatic difference. However, the DB8E has greater flexibility when aiming... The two sections can be aimed independently, which is a major plus in your specific application.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2014, 12:32 AM   #17
woody777

You guys have been a huge help so far, but I'm still having some major issues. I figured I would just add to this thread rather than start a new one.

I ordered a Y-10-7-13 and the RCA preamp. I hooked them up in an upstairs bedroom for a quick test. Channels 7 and 9 didn't even come in as good as the Lava piece of junk on my roof. I hooked up my old Clearstream 4 too. Nothing on UHF. I left to run a few errands and returned to find every channels' signal strength nearly at 100%.

So, I drag everything up to the attic for test number two. Same as before my post-errands miracle - channels 7 and 9 are really weak and nothing on UHF. But fast forward a few hours - every channels' signal strength is nearly at 100%.

After three or four days of near perfect viewing with the antennas in the attic, I'm back to the beginning - channels 7 and 9 are really weak and nothing on UHF.

What could possibly be causing such wild fluctuations?

Quick note: when I say channels 7 and 9 are weak, sometimes both channels are around 50%, sometimes channel 7 is at 0%, sometimes channel 9 is at 0%. I don't think I've had both channels at 0% yet. I have had both channels near 100% though. This is so frustrating!
Old 24-Jun-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
ADTech

If your C4 has the older "black box with silver flat combiner bars", the circuit board may be cracked causing intermittent or no reception. Call customer service at 877-825-5572 for a free warranty replacement.

I see you're still putting your antennas in the attic then comparing their reception to the antenna up on the roof. The observation that the antenna on the roof is working far better than the much more capable antennas when stuffed into the attic should tell you what you need to do.