TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 24-Mar-2020, 1:25 PM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antenna Spotting in Kenosha #6

This one's really easy to see on 22nd Avenue on the corner of 76th Street I think.

Is it a TV antenna?

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...1&d=1585056189

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenosha 22nd Avenue and 76th Street.jpg (81.4 KB, 1849 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 24-Mar-2020 at 1:34 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2020, 3:43 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

My guess would be "probably not" but without proper scale and perspective, it's not possible to accurately identify their purpose.

Observations:

1. All three antennas appear to be identical Yagis cut to the same <unknown> frequency.

2. The two upper antennas are ganged to focus on one azimuth and are mounted for vertically polarized operation.

3. The lower antenna is horizontally polarized and aimed in a direction that appears to be about 30 degrees to the left of the upper pair.

Interesting....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2020, 6:50 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Best guess... Ham band, but as ADTech said, with no scale reference we can't make any firm conclusions.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2020, 5:49 PM   #4
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antenna Spotting in Kenosha #6 zoomed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Best guess... Ham band, but as ADTech said, with no scale reference we can't make any firm conclusions.
Sorry I originally cropped it to get the size down I found this handy-dandy photo resizer for my Samsung phone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200320_180928-768x1024.jpg (151.9 KB, 1517 views)
Old 25-Mar-2020, 8:58 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Well, the lowest one is a TV antenna. Looks like an old radio Shack U-75 or U-90.

Unfortunately, with the upper antennas viewed against the sky, there's no reference scale so as to estimate the length of the elements or the boom.

Yeah, I'd also suspect amateur radio for those upper antennas. Maybe if an old-time amateur operator drops in, they might be able to comment.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Unfortunately, with the upper antennas viewed against the sky, there's no reference scale so as to estimate the length of the elements or the boom.

Yeah, I'd also suspect amateur radio for those upper antennas. Maybe if an old-time amateur operator drops in, they might be able to comment.
The top set of beams looks to be a Cushcraft A26B2 beam installed with vertical polarization for the 144 to 148 MHz ham band. (It is essentially two of the Cushcraft A13B2 beams installed on a stacking boom and connected with a phasing harness.) Vertical antennas on this band are usually used for FM voice operation with handheld, mobile and base units. With this much gain they are most likely operating on simplex channels.

The beam just below it is a Cushcraft A13B2 beam installed with horizontal polarization, also for the 144-148 MHz ham band. Horizontal antennas are usually used for SSB (single sideband voice) and CW (Morse code).

Just for a reference, the booms on these antennas are 15 ft long and the elements are about 40 in long. It does look like one of the beams has slipped a bit on the mast and is pointing a little bit off.

Tim WS4V
Old 26-Mar-2020, 1:28 AM   #7
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antenna Spotting in Gurnee..

I saw similar antenna at a residence although it looks a bit different:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200325_152624-768x1024.jpg (191.3 KB, 1541 views)
File Type: jpg 20200325_152617-768x1024.jpg (277.6 KB, 1480 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 26-Mar-2020 at 6:22 PM.
Old 26-Mar-2020, 3:00 AM   #8
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
I saw similar antenna at a residence although it looks I've been different:

[/IMG]
Just above the rotator looks like a 10 element crossed yagi beam for the ham 2 meter band (144 to 148 MHz)...it is both horizontally and vertically polarized...probably about an 11 ft boom. Possibly a Cushcraft A148-20T or comparable.

In the middle appears to be an 11 element yagi beam for the ham radio 70 cm band (420 to 450 MHz)...about a 4-1/2 ft boom. Maybe a Cushcraft A430-11S or A449-11S or something similar. Mostly used for SSB (single sideband) voice or CW (Morse code).

The top most antenna is probably for the 23 cm ham band (1240-1300 MHz). Difficult to see the detail, but probably a 35 element yagi beam on about a 10 ft boom. Similar to the M2 Antenna Systems 23CM35. Mostly used for SSB (single sideband) voice or CW (Morse code).

Not sure about the vertical antenna in the background, not enough detail in the photo. Looks similar to a 2 meter ham band (144 to 148 MHz) vertical base station antenna with three 5/8 sections in phase. Would be about 15 ft tall and typically used to work FM voice stations either simplex or through repeaters.
Old 26-Mar-2020, 6:27 PM   #9
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Thanks All!

The responses were great and I learned a little about HAM. Of all the different antenna's they seem to have some of the most varied.

Tim, that's amazing you know those by their frequencies!
Old 26-Mar-2020, 9:18 PM   #10
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
The responses were great and I learned a little about HAM. Of all the different antenna's they seem to have some of the most varied.

Tim, that's amazing you know those by their frequencies!
I've been a ham operator for 45 years...you pick up a few tidbits of information along the way.