TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Reception Devices

Notices

Old 5-Apr-2019, 2:23 PM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Rotators.

I hope I've got the right forum for talking about rotators.

I admit I've had some bad luck with the CM 9521A rotator probably due to my heavier antenna setup. I guess the twisting part is difficult on them even if there's no weight pushing down on the mechanism.

So, I've decided to get a ham radio Rotator for my heavier setup. if anybody has any input I'd like to hear it.

For now, my old Radio Shack rotator has worn out on my smaller lighter set up. I could go ahead and order another 9521A or has anybody had any experience with the RCA VH226F?

Last edited by bobsgarage; 12-Mar-2020 at 9:42 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2019, 1:38 PM   #2
kb4

I have had the RCAVh226f it failed after about a year It was rotating a single winegard 8200 on a 5 foot mast. I did like the ability to enter locations of different direction towers and go straight to them without watching degrees etc on a display..

I have seen a hy-gain rotor mentioned on this site that is around $300 that was recommended but I have no personal knowledge of it. I had a Ham2 rotor back in the 70 s that was very heavy duty. I have not researched what is available now. If you don't get further advice here I would look at and call some of the ham radio suppliers forums.
kb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2019, 5:48 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

For a large array, an entry level "ham" rotor would be strongly recommended. Anything less is going to have a short lifespan as you've already encountered.

They aren't cheap, though. Starting price would be around $250-300 for a rebuilt unit.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
For a large array, an entry level "ham" rotor would be strongly recommended. Anything less is going to have a short lifespan as you've already encountered.

They aren't cheap, though. Starting price would be around $250-300 for a rebuilt unit.
The hi gain rotor is a good quality rotor and all antenna installers use this
rotor becuse of IT'S technology and price range it is right beside the ham radio
Rotors I used one by hi gain on stacked side by side 6meter beams for 15years and no problem like the RCA and channel master rotors are junk!!
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
Nascarken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4 View Post
I have had the RCAVh226f it failed after about a year It was rotating a single winegard 8200 on a 5 foot mast. I did like the ability to enter locations of different direction towers and go straight to them without watching degrees etc on a display..

I have seen a hy-gain rotor mentioned on this site that is around $300 that was recommended but I have no personal knowledge of it. I had a Ham2 rotor back in the 70 s that was very heavy duty. I have not researched what is available now. If you don't get further advice here I would look at and call some of the ham radio suppliers forums.
Yes that's true but the price has dubbled in price range $1000dollars for a
Ham radio rotors 73 and I think I am removing the hi gain rotor
And we'll sell it on eBay for a lot more money I figured that I would
help someone who needs a Rotor for the price I paid for it back in time!!
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2020, 7:39 PM   #6
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Rotators- Back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

What Rotators are recommended these days?

Well, I have been off this site for a while, a lot has happened. Today is my first day back on this site in 3 months I think.

It's time to get back up to my array and fix what needs fixing. I just purchased a 20 foot stepladder. It is a MONSTER. I was able to use an 18 footer to set up my system so I should be OK, providing I get an able bodied helper (or two) to help set up the 20' monster.

So, my rotator. 2 ChannelMaster CM9510As have gone bad. So I am writing them off, even though they have a new version the CM9510HD. I agree my system may have too much turning torque, but my patented dual bearing system takes the vertical weight out of the system.

I can actually take the rotator off the main mast and the antenna mast stays in place.

So I see there is a coupla Alliance U-100 models, new, used and rebuilt out there for $60-$175, are they any good? I mean are they heavy duty for
a 2-3 antenna mast? They claim it's good for HAM antennas. I saw a You tube video and the controllers are loud as hell. That shouldn't matter too much I guess.

Then there's the Yaesu 450 that's about $300.

I really like my CM9510 because of the remote. Is the CM9510HD any good?

I would like to hear some opinions.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2020, 6:32 AM   #7
OTAFAN

Quote:
Then there's the Yaesu 450 that's about $300.
Welcome back, Bob! I was wondering where you've been. Glad to see you're alive and well.

Anyway, go with the Yaesu. My ham buds at HRO give it "thumbs up." Right now, it's "Yaesu Month" at HRO, so lot's of sales.

https://www.hamradio.com/

Just my two cents.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 13-Mar-2020 at 6:42 AM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2020, 7:57 PM   #8
rickbb

Looks like a deal.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-002762

edit: cause I'm stupid and pasted the wrong link.

lol
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote