TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Sep-2012, 9:30 PM   #21
sjuanie

Installation

I'm back, I finally have all the parts, actually 1 extra antenna with slightly bent poles. I went to look at installing, propped the ladder up there and, well, its up there. If I was younger and havent had a bunch of surgeries from injuries lately I wouldnt think twice. But I cant afford to miss anymore work, I'm not as trusting with my agility as I once was, so, can anybody recommend an installer, in the 95361 area and what type of price I should expect to pay. It's an eave mount install, running off the existing old dish network cable, I currently have u-verse and they are just crap...period. I have comcast coming out Wednesday for my internet install, then I will cancel U-verse altogether. How about cheap phone service, we currently haven't used our land-line in probably a year, all calls are forwarded to my Verizon cell phone. Hopefully I will be running comcast internet, getting OTA reception with 1 Roku and thinking of getting Tivo for the big screen in the living room, it currently uses our Wii for Netflix. I got the 3 way splitter as I have cable running to 3 rooms.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
sjuanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2012, 6:52 AM   #22
sjuanie

I want to thank everybody for there help. I have the antenna installed, bought me the TIVO Premiere and am now getting about 20-30 channels, its just awesome. Last question, there have been a few instances where reception has been lost, no reason, no wind, rain or anything from my point of view. I had it professionally installed, aimed as specified, the only thing I didnt get was the Pre-amp. The person who installed it also has the same setup and didnt mention a pre-amp. My question is, how would I know I needed one, I mean overall, reception is good, but if by installing a pre-amp it would stop those few times where the reception goes bad?? BTW, the spanish stations never go out and are crystal clear.
Old 16-Sep-2012, 7:18 AM   #23
sjuanie

After investigating this further, I do have a 3 way splitter but only 2 TV's as the third TV I decided not to hook up, so I have read there is a greater loss there. That plus the distance of cable run to each TV, if I were to guess since its late at night and I cant measure at the moment, I would say the furthest TV is at least 100 feet away from the antenna. Im no expert, this is just stuff I googled, but it seems it wouldnt hurt to get the Winegard ap-8700 preamp? Or would this cause a overload, I do have a ROKU attached to the bedroom TV, and the TIVO plus DVD/VCR combo hooked up to the living room TV.
Thanks for your help,
Steve
Old 16-Sep-2012, 8:14 AM   #24
teleview

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

The following is a Teleview recommendation for braodcast tv reception.

What did Electron say about Tv reception??
Old 16-Sep-2012, 4:36 PM   #25
sjuanie

Well, lets recap what he said shall we?

This recommendation is based on the tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included for Digital Tv stations and channels.

Install a Winegard HD7000R antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 315 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas, http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

With the HD7000R antenna aimed at about 315 degree magnetic compass the English language Tv stations/channels in the Green and Yellow reception zones of the tvfool radar plot report will be received.

With the HD7000R aimed at 315 degree , some Religion and Spanish and other language channels may not be received.

If you will like to receive more religion and other language channels , will require more then one antenna and coax cables.

My recommendation is to start with the HD7000R antenna system install , it is simple.

And more can be added later.

Yes the coax wiring that is in place now can be used.

For splitters I recommend , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , also available at http://www.solidsignal.com.

For one Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a HFS-3D , 4 way splitter.

Are you discontinuing and disconnecting U-Verse and sattelite service Completely??

So I went with his recommendation to start with the antenna, splitter and have discontinued U-VERSE, these were his recommendations to start as he said more can be added later, so it's later and I am asking about the preamp, did I miss something?

Tv antennas like elbow room. CHECK
Tv antennas like the least amount to no obstructions. CHECK
Tv antennas like to be free and clear to receive Tv transmissions.CHECK

Mount the Tv antenna so that the Tv antenna clears the high point of the house roof and clears the solar panels.
AND CHECK!

So again, after googling, rereading these post, I'm asking, is it worth the extra $35 or so to buy and install the preamp, if my question is out of line or seems ignorant, I didnt mean to be out of line, the ignorance may just come natural, though I tried to research myself
Old 16-Sep-2012, 4:43 PM   #26
sjuanie

Oh, and it was professionally installed as I said earlier at 315 degree magnetic compass, this is what I told the installer, I can only assume he did this, its what he told me, he did an awesome job. I appreciate all the patience and help from Electron and the others who have gave suggestions. I think its great you pass on your knowledge of this stuff to help others, as I do with computers, I fix them on the side free of charge, I enjoy it so I dont need anybodys money, I have a regular fulltime job, I just like to help people that cant afford to get ripped off for sometimes simple computer fixes.
Thanks for your time,
Steve