TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-May-2014, 4:36 AM   #1
inigosword

Reception Solution for 1edge directional signals

I thought I'd describe my experience with trying to improve our TV reception. I went through several failures before coming upon a solution.

We are 20 miles from the tv towers which all originate from the same location. The signals are not Line of Site. They are 1edge signals.
My TV SIGNAL ANALYSIS REPORT:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c69f877f19af

Originally, we had a Terk Direction antenna with a built in pre-amp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This antenna received some but not all channels reliably.

Next, the D8 Multi-Directional antenna with a pre-amp (RCA Audiovox TVPRAMP1R) was tried It received channels reliably that the Terk did not. Unfortunately, it failed for the other channels.

So I decided to try and combine the antenna signals by trying to combine them using Eagle Aspen Signal Combiner(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on the pre-amp outs to the tv. 2 identical length cable feeds went up to the roof antennas. Unfortunately,
some the channels signals degraded so this was not the answer. I hear it was a bad to tried to gang 2 different types of antennas but since I had both, I decided to try it but they were right. It was not helping.

The final working solution was simply to use one antenna with the RCA pre-amp. The AntennaCraft HBU33 brought in all the channels reliably! I found this antenna by reading this Forum so thank you!! If you have 1edge type tv signals and all UHF and/or high VHF channels to receive, this could be what you are looking for.
inigosword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2014, 7:28 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The Terk would be a bit small based on your signal report.

I'm guessing that the DB8 had trouble with the VHF signal of WVNY, real CH-13. Given that it's a UHF only design, that would be expected.

I agree with your conclusion that the UHF + H-VHF capability of the HBU series antennas fits your situation better than any UHF only antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
inigosword

You are correct, the DB8 did not work well with real channel 13, a vhf freq. But it also was a poor match for real channels (32 & 43). I'm guessing this is because the transmission power at the tower is much less for these channels and these weaker 1edge signals need the higher gain of the a directional antenna that the HBU33 provides.
Why do transmission sources at the same height (840 meters), have such drastic power outputs? WFFF transmits at 47kw on real channel 43 while WPYTZ (real # 14) transmits at 650kw? Both are major networks. Strange.

Thanks again for such a great resource site!
Old 11-May-2014, 2:10 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
need the higher gain of the a directional antenna that the HBU33 provides.
The HBU33, on UHF, is less directional and lower gain than is the DB8. However, the two different types of UHF antennas have different receive apertures. The DB8 probably required a greater level patience in its placement and aiming in order to achieve best results for the UHF stations from Mt Mansfield.

Quote:
have such drastic power outputs? WFFF transmits at 47kw
Probably due to either Canadian border zone constraints to prevent interference to Canadian licensed allocations or to prevent interference into adjacent US markets.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 11-May-2014 at 9:19 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2014, 8:18 PM   #5
inigosword

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated