TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jun-2012, 6:38 PM   #1
chrx

Antenna Setup Opinions - S.F. Bay Area

Hi everyone. New member and first-time post. Glad to be here!

I have decided to cut the cord and have lined-up some gear that I think should get the job done.

First, here is the link to my location report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...134993e772512b

Starting with my choice for the set-top box, the Zinwell ZAT-970A:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...sku=7440900089

I currently have a Winegard HD-6000 that I have for FM radio reception only:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...D6000%29&post=
I plan to use it, coupled with an Antennas Direct DB8 UHF antenna on the roof, around 30-35 feet off the ground:
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB8_HD_Antenna.html

I may, or may not need a rotor to get good reception from both San Francisco and San Jose, if I point toward S.F.

Any opinions on this?

Also, I plan to connect them with a Antennas Direct EU385CF and run a single cable to both my TV set-top box and FM receiver in the living room:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001705

Any recommendations on whether a standard splitter at the TV & radio will work best, or something more specialized?

Also, should I use an amplifier? I expect the cable length to be around 50 feet.

Thank you for any help here,
Chris O.

Last edited by chrx; 8-Jun-2012 at 6:44 PM.
chrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2012, 7:40 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The DB8 is a good choice... I think there are even better options available.

I would not combine the TV and FM systems. Strong FM signals can interfere with TV signals especially if you need to use a preamplifier or distribution amplifier. If the HD-6000 is serving well as an FM antenna now, I'd leave it as is.

Reception of the Sutro Tower signals on the other side of the hills/mountains to your west, will require a highly directional antenna that also has high gain. It also needs to cover both UHF and VHF frequencies.

I would opt for a large combination antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P or, an Antennas Direct 91XG paired with an Antennacraft Y10713 using a UVSJ combiner. In either case, I would place an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp at the output of the antenna or combiner.

Rotating the antenna is an option, there are other options to consider. On a related note, consider opting for an HD capable converter box such as the CM-7001. It could be useful even if you upgrade your SD TV set at a future date.
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

If you opt to rotate consider the NTE U-106 combined with the NTE TB-105 thrust bearing. http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_rotors.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Jun-2012 at 8:18 PM. Reason: STB options to consider
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2012, 8:51 PM   #3
chrx

First, thank you for the input!

I considered the big directionals at first, specifically because of the hills between us and Sutro tower, as well as my interest in trying to pull Sacramento in by swinging it around on a rotator. Seeing some of the specs on the bigger multi-directionals got me thinking that I could point one toward S.F. with the hope that it could pull in San Jose out of the corner of its eye fairly well without a rotator, as the report looked good from that direction.

When I was a kid, we had a rotator to get Boston and Providence (60 degrees apart from our house at the time), so I thought it would be pretty straight forward. The problems you pointed out with scanning channels and using rotators is a very good point. (I think my wife would laugh at me going through that process every time - like she did when the Roomba [my idea] would lock itself in the pantry when doing a pass downstairs [we don't have the Roomba anymore]). Going to OTA DTV is my idea too.

Our current home does not have enough real estate to set-up many antennas, so I wanted to try and maximize the space available.

Leaving the FM antenna system separate is easy enough. I just thought I could get away for using it on the VHF channels, but I guess not.

I'll be reconsidering my shopping list now. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

chrx
Old 9-Jun-2012, 2:21 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If your home construction materials don't block RF, a non-amplified indoor antenna would give you the signals in the green section of your report. Everything else will need an outdoor mounted antenna.

Unfortunately, several major networks are not in the green section of your TVFR.

I understand that most people would prefer not to build an antenna farm. Still, a single HD7698P with preamp, aimed at Sutro Tower, would give you an impressive list of networks, major and some you may not be aware of.

Check out www.rabbitears.info, you'll find that many if not most of the broadcasters in your area are using the capacity of the digital technology to send more than one program over their bandwidth.

If I were in the Bay area, the full line up of programming coming from Sutro Tower would make me think twice about building an antenna farm to go after 'every possible' signal.

Old 9-Jun-2012, 4:24 AM   #5
chrx

Well Put!

Your proposition of pointing a HD7698P (with a CPA-19) toward S.F. and leaving it at that for starters sounds like an excellent way to get the ball rolling. I am going to take that route and I have a feeling we will be well satisfied with the results. Thank you so much for your insightful opinions!

As far as the cable goes, is RG6 all pretty much the same, or should I be looking for some specifics?

chrx
Old 10-Jun-2012, 4:53 PM   #6
chrx

Effects Of Fog?

Another thought... It can get pretty thick with fog between Sutro tower and the East Bay in the winter too. Can fog push a blue/purple reception situation into a no-reception at all situation?

chrx
Old 10-Jun-2012, 6:00 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

RG-6 is the right choice. If you have some quad-shield lying about (or left in from a satellite install), that will also work but the extra shielding is not worth paying extra for.

The fog may have some effect on the highest UHF channels, don't spend too much time worrying about it though.

Old 11-Jun-2012, 7:49 PM   #8
Electron

All questions and answers about Tv reception and more.

For reception of the Tv stations/channels to the north west and west. Install a Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 307 degree maqgnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The stronger stations in the other directions will also be received.

The Tv/s Must scan for the broadcast tv channels sometimes named the "Air Channeles' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.

I go to great lenghts to provide answers that provide the best possible reception.

Last edited by Electron; 11-Jun-2012 at 7:55 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote