TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Sep-2010, 3:34 AM   #1
redsoxrich

Question Antenna advice for Pittsfield, MA

Hello OTA Pros,

I have a roof top radio shack mid range type directional antenna from radio shack and would like to improve my reception from the towers around, including the one 41 miles away at 303 degrees....PBS and FOX are spotty right now. Would I try and get higher, bigger antenna, pre amp?

Thanks in advance....Rich

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3629468999886
redsoxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2010, 1:33 PM   #2
No static at all

How many TV's are connected now? Are you using any kind of amp?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2010, 2:27 PM   #3
redsoxrich

No static at all....thanks for the reply

I am using a 2 way splitter in basement ( 75 feet of coaxial total) for 2 TVs. I do not have any amplifiers. I do use a Digitalstream converter box for each TV. My TVs are 10 year old Sharp and Philips Magnavox.

Rich
Old 12-Sep-2010, 2:41 PM   #4
No static at all

Are the only problem channels FOX & PBS? If so, try just one set hooked directly to the antenna (no splitter) to see if they improve.

You may get by with a good quality distribution amp if just those 2 channels are unstable, but a high gain antenna would probably be the best move.

Last edited by No static at all; 12-Sep-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Old 12-Sep-2010, 5:24 PM   #5
redsoxrich

I took your advice and went directly to the main television. So far FOX and PBS from 41 miles (303 degrees) is coming in stronger but just recently it went out for about 20 minutes. Regarding the other channels I do not pull the stations from the North in b/c I do not have a rotor to turn the antenns. I failed to mention a large maple 75 feet away from antenna that is partially blocking that direction.
Old 12-Sep-2010, 5:57 PM   #6
No static at all

You don't get WRGB? I would think that would come in with the antenna pointed in any direction? If not, you may need a rotator for CBS.

Tower Guy is likely more familiar with your area & may have some better suggestions.
Old 12-Sep-2010, 6:45 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

The arangement of the transmitters and the weak and strong signals makes this a tough one. Uhf 28 is right there with a very strong signal so I am hesitant to use a preamp for the 303 stations. This is a 2 antenna soluition. . A high gain antenna is need in any event for the 303 stations so the Winegard HD8200U is directed at 303 , no preamp or distribution amp for now , connect both Tv's. . And a Winegard HD4400 pointed in the direction of channels 19 , 36 , 38. . Separate runs of coax from both antennas and separate 2 way splitters with remote control A/B switches at both tv's. Radio Shack has the remote control A/B switch. http://www.solidsignal.com , has the antennas.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Sep-2010 at 7:18 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2010, 8:03 AM   #8
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
You don't get WRGB? I would think that would come in with the antenna pointed in any direction? If not, you may need a rotator for CBS.

Tower Guy is likely more familiar with your area & may have some better suggestions.
WRGB 19 is not on the air yet...the FCC has approved the installation, as well as WRGB 39 in my town, that is not on air either....
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2010, 9:20 PM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxrich View Post
PBS and FOX are spotty right now. Would I try and get higher, bigger antenna, pre amp?
Your results seem about right for an unamplified antenna in Pittsfield. The preamp that's most likely to work for you is the Winegard HDP-269. That will make a bigger improvement than anything else.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote