TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2014, 2:45 PM   #1
sztv321

Just a bit lost (okay, a LOT lost)

For starters, thank you for having this site and the allowing me the ability to ask my questions. Like so many others, I am tired of paying money for TV that (most of which) I do not even watch. So for the past few months I have been exploring receiving OTA signals and combining that with either Netflix or some other Internet/websites I can find at little to no cost.

With that said, I live just outside of Athens GA, in a small community, but it gets pretty rural, fairly quickly and the towers for Atlanta are pretty far. I believe there are stations in SC or even north of me that I might be able to get, but at the end of the day, I am not sure where to even start, so I am glad I found you guys.

Here is the info you said to post:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a67e8d7ff1

That chart can be overwhelming as I attempt to decipher what it is actually saying and how to interpret it to make a sound choice for an antenna.
It would be my preference to put the antenna in my attic, but I am not against putting a pole next to the house and going as high as I am legally allowed. (I would just be afraid of a lightening strike I suppose.)

With the myriad options of antenna that I see, this is really where my confusion comes in. I see that there are companies that make Long Range antenna that claim to pick up signals 75 or even over 100 miles away. I guess I am looking for some sound advice on what antenna to chose and any other things I might need to buy to support bringing in a signal. If I could get signals from all the different directions, that would be kind of cool I suppose, but anything would be better than what I am doing now.

Thanks again!!!
sztv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 5:23 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Beware of the cheap (though they may cost a lot) antennas that claim 150 mile reception.

Your situation calls for a high performance antenna system. The combination of an Antennas Direct 91XG + Antennacraft Y10713 is at the top of the list of off the shelf options. The RCA TVPRAMP1R is a very good preamp to consider.

I'd start with one set of antennas. Scan the Atlanta direction and the Greenville directions. Then decide if a single fixed aim will be adequate, or do you need to add to the system

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 6:54 PM   #3
StephanieS

Hi Sztv321,

Your tvfool radar plot presents some challenges with weak signals come at you from all directions.

GroundUrMast in suggesting the 91xg/Y10-7-13 working with the TVPRAMPR1 gives you the best chance at reception. I would do as he says and zero in on Atlanta first and see what you get. Orientate both antennas to magnetic 274. Then perform scan on TV.

Mounting in the attic is not an option for you. You are dealing with weak signal strengths. Any chance at Atlanta broadcasts will require you to have the antennas outdoors clear of any obstructions in the direction they are pointed.

Can you rerun your TVfool radar plot at elevations of 50' and 100'? Out of curiosity tested a plot for Walkinsville at the city level and at 50' substantial improvement over your 25' plot showed up. I'd like to see if that holds for your specific location as well.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 9:14 PM   #4
sztv321

Thanks to both of you for your quick response.

GroundUrMast, I'll check out what you are suggesting some time later tonight and most likely follow up with an additional response as I am sure I will have questions.

StephanieS, here is the info you asked for:

50 feet:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94db9d6afdb4

100 feet:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94cc01c02515

I was fairly certain an attic antenna wasn't going to cut it, but I thought I would ask anyway. Not that I am against a 50' or 100' pole, it does kind of freak me out a little though to have that thing towering above my house like that. I know I would have to properly ground it. I would just want to get everything as cost effectively as possible and then ensure I put it up properly/securely so that wind and lightening and other elements are (hopefully) a non issue.

Thanks again!!!
sztv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2014, 9:48 PM   #5
StephanieS

Thanks for the revised plots. 50' shows improvement as it gets many Atlanta broadcasts out of the negative signal strength #'s. 100' gets you upwards of and in some cases into double digits in positive signal strength.

I was hoping for better improvement than what your plot shows though.

It's a tough reception situation for sure. With the antennas on a 100' tower, you are still dealing with weak signals, albeit perhaps receivable ones. At 25' I'd be pessimistic of reliable Atlanta reception.

This becomes a cost issue. Are you willing to spend a couple grand? Is it worth it to you? I'd hate for you to spend all the money for the gear and not have satisfactory reception.

This isn't meant to be a wet blanket, but in some areas, over the air reception isn't just throwing an antenna on the roof and connecting the coax. Weak and rural areas can require sizable investment in gear. In eastern Indiana you see 25', 50' and even 75' towers with antennas all over the place (and in neighborhoods!). That's what it took to receive the signals they wanted.

You are likely in that same club.

It all comes down to what is the pricetag you can live with. If going with a 50' tower and above, it gets expensive as in thousands of dollars very fast.

You can try the setup GroundUrMast has suggested, if it doesn't work out return the gear for refunds.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote