TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Tide1

Need VHF Antenna Help

I have a DB8 Antenna in my attic with a Wineguard Pre-Amp (8777 maybe??).
I thought I could do without a VHF antenna but now I realize I am missing out on 2 local stations (WVTM-13) and (WUOA-23). I checked out dtv.gov and it says that WVTM is a HI-VHF and WUOA is a LO-VHF. I have been looking at antennas and the majority of VHF seem to be geared towards the HI-VHF. I am only 16 miles or so as the crow flys from the towers which are in the same direction. Also, I ocassionally have reception of WVTM but it cuts out, and the other I really can't get a signal with the DB8.

Basically I would like to add a VHF antenna and combine it with my DB8 and also have it to go thru the pre-amp as well if needed. I need help on the type of combiner or splitter I should use and how to connect the two.

My tvfool link is below:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e74cfa35b50f1

Thanks in Advance.
Tide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2011, 1:20 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide1 View Post
I have a DB8 Antenna in my attic with a Wineguard Pre-Amp (8777 maybe??).

Basically I would like to add a VHF antenna and combine it with my DB8 and also have it to go thru the pre-amp as well if needed.
Add an Antennacraft CS600. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...na-%28CS600%29
Use a UVSJ to combine the antennas. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nna-%28UVSJ%29
You don't need a preamp, and it may reduce your reception.

If the preamp is a 7777 there is a mode switch that allows it to be used as a VHF/UHF combiner, but try the UVSJ first.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Tide1

I like that suggestion and will try taking the pre-amp totally out of the equation and seeing if that will be work.
Old 23-Aug-2011, 2:45 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I'd echo TG's recommendation on removing the pre-amp, but I would make it the very first thing you do. While you're at it, can you identify it accurately regarding the make and model? WG doesn't make a 8777. If it's a WG 8700, it may easily be overloading. I'd suspect the DB8 ought to get those VHF stations, even though they are out of the antenna's design envelope, and I'd suspect that amplifier misapplication might be the underlying cause of your specific concern.

Quote:
I have been looking at antennas and the majority of VHF seem to be geared towards the HI-VHF.
Since there are now only 35-40 "full-power" DTV stations on low-VHf (2-6) in the US, the market for an antenna that includes low-VHF is pretty small. Roughly 24% (around 500) "full-power" DTV stations in the USe are on high-VHF (7-13). The remainder are now UHF stations.

If removal of the amp doesn't fix things and before buying another antenna, I'd like to try a simple add-on VHF element. We came up with a great one that we now have on the newest version of our C2. I've have great luck with it for high-VHF and modest success on low-VHF. To reach me, just send me a Private Message with your contact information and I'll see that you get an element to try out.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 23-Aug-2011 at 2:53 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2011, 4:16 PM   #5
Tide1

Sorry but the actual WG is an 8700. When I got the db8, the preamp was included with it. I never even tried the antenna without the pre-amp. I originally purchased the db8 for my folks thinking they were going to let me mount it on their rooftop. But that didn't fly. Apparently it was too large for their taste.

Late this afternoon I will go up into the scorching sauna from he** called my attic and take off the pre-amp and see what kind of reception and signals I am getting now. I hope you are right!!

Thanks!
Old 25-Aug-2011, 3:21 AM   #6
Tide1

Update with DB8 antenna

Tonight I was able to remove the pre-amp and I have just tested out the reception. It appears you all were correct in your assumptions. I now have the two VHF channels perfectly. WVTM, the high VHF is coming in at 93% according to my DishNetwork signal strength. The UHF channels are coming in great. I get everything through WTJP. No drops thus far!!Am

I amazingly also able to receive WBIH and WAKA (76 miles away)(obviously through the back of the antenna. I have to say I am located on a hill with a mainly clear shot to the south southwest which I guess helps me get WAKA. Will be interesting to see what happens during rainy weather.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!