TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Mar-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
nopaytv

Lost signal

We live in northern middle TN and have standard outdoor antennas. We received reception of many of the local Nashville stations through our antenna/digital converter box setup since the national switch to digital. One antenna serves our house analog tvs with converter boxes and one antenna serves our game room flat screen tv with converter built in. Both have a Radio Shack booster. Within the last week we have been reduced to one local channel on both antennas. As you can tell by my log in name I do not want to pay for tv. Any help will be appreciated.
nopaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Please read through this Guide and post a copy of your TV Fool report.

Do you know the make and model of antennas?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
nopaytv

Not sure. Lowes cheapy but both worked for many months and now both don't.
Old 11-Mar-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv antennas and Tv reception

As the other question askers do , do this --> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Post the tvfool radar report.
Old 11-Mar-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
nopaytv

There are two tvs on the house antenna. Unhooking the amplifier increased reception for some reason but all channels did not return. There are two splitters in this line.

Last edited by mtownsend; 12-Mar-2011 at 2:38 AM. Reason: Removed redundant link to report
Old 12-Mar-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
nopaytv

This is what you may be looking for. Sorry. New to me.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5979eeb7814e03
Old 13-Mar-2011, 5:28 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Thanks for posting the TVF report.

I would start by asking if you can remove the 'Radio Shack booster' from the system. Not just unplug it, remove it from the line, run the antenna straight into the TV.

I'm curious to find out if some new TV or FM station just came on line... One high powered signal could easily overload the amplifier (booster).

The predicted signal strength in your area indicates that you could easily get reliable reception with no amplifier provided your antenna choice is correct and it is mounted and aimed correctly.

Old 17-Mar-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
nopaytv

Removed the booster and went from one channel to three desireable channels, 4, 28, 30. Channels in the 50 realm come in but don't watch. Tried many attempts of turning antenna to pick up 2, 5, 8, 17, rescanned and nothing. What does not make sense is all of these WERE working then disappeared.
Old 17-Mar-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Amplifiers are supposed to increase the amplitude of the desired signals. That sounds like a good thing but you can have too much of a good thing.

Amplifiers also increase the amplitude of the undesired signals and noise. Also, amplifiers (even very very good ones) generate noise which is added to the existing noise. Finally, amplifiers (even very very good ones) distort and mix signals together.

This last phenomenon is probably what is happening in your case... If an existing TV or FM station increased their signal strength in your area or a new TV or FM station started operation, your amplifier is now overloaded and is mixing all of those signals together into a noisy garbled mess that your tuners can't make sense of.

Old 17-Mar-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
nopaytv

What would you recommend?
Old 17-Mar-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

If I were building an antenna system from scratch, I would either use a Winegard HD7694P or HD7080P. The final choice would be based on what the long term plans of WTFV are. If they are going to continue operation on real channel 50, I would use the 7694. If they plan to consolidate operations to only real channel 5, I would use the 7080.

I suggest you call or email the engineering department at WTFV.

I would also want to cable all of my TV outlets back to a common point so I can use one splitter. One antenna should have no problem serving all the sets in the house. If you are going to need to split more than four ways, we can talk about a distribution amplifier.

Does your existing antenna look similar to either of the Winegard models I have mentioned? If not can you describe it or post a photo of it? Can you describe in some detail were the antennas are mounted, how high, what obstructions are with in a few hundred feet of them? I'm still not sure what you have to work with... I would like to understand whether or not your existing antenna can be restored to service or not.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Mar-2011 at 6:22 AM.
Old 18-Mar-2011, 3:14 AM   #13
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

I suggest a Winegard HD7084P all channel antenna. Do Not use any type or kind of antenna amplifier. Simplify that wiring , eleminate multipul splitters.
Old 18-Mar-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WTVF has applied for and received permission to build a permanent 1,000 kW UHF 25 facility. They asked for permission to keep their low-VHF channel 5 at current power as a translator, but the FCC has not acted on that request and it will likely be denied.

If you can pick up WTVF's current 100kW UHF 50 signal, it is pointless to purchase an antenna for low-VHF. If you cannot pick up the UHF 50 signal but can wait for the UHF 25 signal, it is pointless to purchase an antenna for low-VHF. If you can't wait, buy the all-channel antenna.

I do not have any information on WTVF's schedule for building the channel 25 facility. Someone will have to call or email them.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote