TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Feb-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
nbl346

Set up for cabin

I need help setting up a system for a camp in northwest PA. Below is my signal analysis. Is there any chance to pick up something?
Thank You.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f02dc42e32c6
nbl346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
timgr

Did you select 15' elevation for a reason? That is very low. For a cabin, I would expect it to be surrounded by trees. With that report, to get anything, you'll need to be above the trees, and that implies higher than 15'.

I'd only expect to have a chance to pick up the top 4 stations on your list... and W45BT is a repeater for WPCB, an evangelist station. And those lowest signal levels are dicey, even with a premium setup with no issues like trees or buildings.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
nbl346

I figured 15' is roughly the height of the roof then i could go higher off of that if needed. Most of the trees around are atleast 30-40 feet. So without getting above those I will unlikely get any reception?
Old 22-Feb-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If the wind is dead calm you may get decent results... But dense foliage or any movement of tree limbs and your can expect little reliable reception.

Are you willing to consider a tower or push-up mast that would get the antenna above tree top level?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 1:10 AM   #5
nbl346

Wasnt really planning on spending a fortune. Just figured if I could get half a dozen channels or so id be satisfied. Mostly hoping to pick up the Pittsburgh stations (KDKA, WPGH or WTAE).
Old 23-Feb-2015, 2:55 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Here's a source for push-up type masts, http://www.3starinc.com/telescopic_masts.html Just to give you an idea of the cost involved.

The path profiles links in your report show fairly level terrain so getting an Antennas Direct DB8E above the tee tops could deliver the signals you've mentioned... Though it would be good to see a TVFR based on the height the trees dictate.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote