TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Sep-2014, 4:19 AM   #1
midalake

Rohn Tower Questions

I have a Rohn tower and need some help because I can not remember the mast width [diameter] of the pole.

I have a DB8e going on top and about 5ft below a Y10713.

So is there a heavy duty pole available? What is the pole diameter?

How tall on the mast can I go?

Also can not seem to find a link to Rohn Tech Support.

Thanks Dave
midalake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 8:37 AM   #2
Stereocraig

They will accept a wide variety of diameters, but you should be more concerned w/ the dia. that the antennas will accept. (Usually 1.25"-1.5") Top rails for chain link fences are pretty popular w/ many of the posters here.

They are available in 10' lengths w/ a 6" swage, but that may allow for a bit too much sway, if extended all the way up.
I would limit height only to what's needed for adequate antenna spacing. (3'- 4')

Here's the only # I could find.

Rohn: 309-566-3000
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The DB8e mast clamp will accept up to a 1.75" diameter mount tube/pipe. We typically supply mounts of 1.5" or 1.625" OD for use with the DB8e.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 3:29 PM   #4
midalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereocraig View Post
They will accept a wide variety of diameters, but you should be more concerned w/ the dia. that the antennas will accept. (Usually 1.25"-1.5") Top rails for chain link fences are pretty popular w/ many of the posters here.

They are available in 10' lengths w/ a 6" swage, but that may allow for a bit too much sway, if extended all the way up.
I would limit height only to what's needed for adequate antenna spacing. (3'- 4')

Here's the only # I could find.

Rohn: 309-566-3000
Yes but does anyone know what the tower will take?

I would like to be prepared and not have to run into town once I tip the tower down.

Dave
Old 19-Sep-2014, 4:07 PM   #5
Stereocraig

I picked up the phone and called Rohn, at 309-566-3000 waited on hold and finally talked to Steve.

He told me that they accept from 1-1/4" - 2" O.D.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 4:16 PM   #6
midalake

Quote:
I picked up the phone and called Rohn, at 309-566-3000 waited on hold and finally talked to Steve.

Wow thank you Stereocraig. For some reason I did not think it went up to 2" od. I will try to press it to the mount size though of 1.75.

Anyone want to guess how high the mast could be?

Dave
Old 19-Sep-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:

That dimension range is correct, but over the years there were multiple designs for Rohn 25 top sections.

See page 37 of this catalog

http://www.rohnnet.com/filedownload/...m48eced0c124b9

Note the slight differences in the bracing details and you may be able to identify what you have without climbing. If it we me, I'd be up there with my ruler.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by midalake View Post
So is there a heavy duty pole available? What is the pole diameter?
The largest mast that will fit the DB8e would be 1 1/4" water pipe, which is 1.66" OD, but the Y10-7-13 would not fit.

Water pipe is available galvanized, but the steel strength is modest. The normal wall thickness is schedule 40. Schedule 80 is extra thick wall.
Old 20-Sep-2014, 1:47 AM   #9
midalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
The largest mast that will fit the DB8e would be 1 1/4" water pipe, which is 1.66" OD, but the Y10-7-13 would not fit.

Water pipe is available galvanized, but the steel strength is modest. The normal wall thickness is schedule 40. Schedule 80 is extra thick wall.
Hi Tower guy

I am familiar with Sch 80. I have not unboxed the y10713 yet. Am I able to increase the mount size? Just a different bracket?

Also how high do you think I can run this combo?

Thanks Dave
Old 20-Sep-2014, 7:18 PM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Am I able to increase the mount size? Just a different bracket?

Also how high do you think I can run this combo?

Thanks Dave
Get a 3x5x1/4" aluminum plate. Drill it to match the Y10-7-13 and use 1/4"x20 bolts through the boom. Get a pair of 1.75" muffler clamps to match the mast. Drill holes in the plate for the extra U bolts.

I'd say that you could get up to 13' of 1 1/4" pipe with 3' of it inside the Rohn tower top section. Make sure that you have the right safety equipment to install the mast as it will take both hands simultaneously. Use one of the muffler clamps as a temporary mast flange when you first install the mast before you install the UHF antenna and while you lift it after the DB8e is mounted. This assumes that you are physically fit enough to handle the weight of the mast plus the DB8E to lift it up 10'.

If you are into rust free clamps, try these: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/...-saddle-clamps
Old 21-Sep-2014, 2:38 AM   #11
midalake

Quote:
Get a 3x5x1/4" aluminum plate. Drill it to match the Y10-7-13 and use 1/4"x20 bolts through the boom. Get a pair of 1.75" muffler clamps to match the mast. Drill holes in the plate for the extra U bolts.

I'd say that you could get up to 13' of 1 1/4" pipe with 3' of it inside the Rohn tower top section. Make sure that you have the right safety equipment to install the mast as it will take both hands simultaneously. Use one of the muffler clamps as a temporary mast flange when you first install the mast before you install the UHF antenna and while you lift it after the DB8e is mounted. This assumes that you are physically fit enough to handle the weight of the mast plus the DB8E to lift it up 10'.

If you are into rust free clamps, try these: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/...-saddle-clamps
I am going to tip the tower down to do the install on the ground. Hopefully that will take care a few problems.

Will follow-up with all after complete.

Dave
Old 23-Sep-2014, 5:53 PM   #12
midalake

Quote:

RATS just tipped my tower down and the max pipe I can go with is 1 1/4 od. Now any thoughts on strong pipe and height?

Thanks Dave
Old 23-Sep-2014, 8:27 PM   #13
Tower Guy

Quote:
RATS just tipped my tower down and the max pipe I can go with is 1 1/4 od. Now any thoughts on strong pipe and height?

Thanks Dave
10' TV mast extended to 8' unless you are in an exceptionally windy area.

Try to find the 16 gauge mast instead of an 18 gauge wall.

http://www.3starinc.com/ez5-16s_swag...od_16_awg.html
Old 29-Sep-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
midalake

Hi to all that helped! I got the Db8e and the Y 10713 up this weekend. The Tower install was a pain. It turned out the tower would not accept the 1 1/4 top rail fence pipe. So I had to hog out about 1/8 of an inch. The reception is working PERCFECT. I am getting all the target stations I wanted and getting a few more coming in and out.

Dave