TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Feb-2012, 9:48 PM   #1
CountryBoy

40yr. old antenna

Will a 40yr. old channelmaster outside antenna work with the new HDTV signals and tv's ?
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2012, 3:26 AM   #2
MisterMe

Probably. Antennas receive electromagnetic signals. The fact that HDTV programming is being transmitted notwithstanding. If your antenna received VHF and UHF channels prior to the digital transition, then I fully expect it to receive your digital channels. If you want to bring an old antenna out of retirement, then you may need to ensure that your antenna, cables, and fittings do not suffer continuity problems.

Advice: Your question is much too general. An affirmative answer to everything does not mean that you will receive a single digital broadcast. Do this:
  • Create a TV Fool Radar plot using your exact address and the height of your antenna. The height should be at least 20 ft. Post a link to it.
  • How many TVs do you expect to connect to this antenna?
  • Are there trees or other obstructions between the antenna and the broadcast towers that you want to receive?
  • If you intend to use your old antenna, then you should state the type of antenna that you have. If you don't know, then state which of these Channel Master antennas that is most similar to it.
  • What is the current condition of the antenna? It is mounted or is it in storage? Is it in excellent mechanical condition or does it have bent or broken elements, rusty rivets, etc. What is the state of its cabling, connectors, balun, splitters, etc.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2012, 3:12 PM   #3
CountryBoy

40 yr. old antenna

Thanks MisterMe. The antenna most likely is a channel master. My dad only bought channel master equipment. It looks like the CM-3020, and it's not bent up or broken anywhere. Maybe a little rusty around some of the fittings here and there, but not bad. There is 1 tree about 25 feet from antenna close to the path that it needs to point to. Then another tree around 125 feet or so that's close to line of direction. There is a old 2 piece channel master preamp hooked up now, but stations are coming and going, staying off sometimes until I go up on the roof and turn the antenna or wiggle the flat 300-ohm wire. Everything had been working ok until last month or so. I've ordered a new channel master 7777 Titan 2 preamp, hasn't arrived yet. The antenna is only around 12-15 foot high right now. I plan on putting up 20-40 feet of tower to go higher, but I receive nbc, abc, cbs fox, and pbs fine at current height when it was still working. My main interest in going higher would be to receive WHBQ TV in Memphis, Tn. I think that's around 70 miles, but we have some big hills between us and Memphis. At 20 feet high I think the chart shows WHBQ at -21.7 NM. Is that too much negative for the booster to pull in? There are 3 televisions, all hdtv. Right now there is a 8 way splitter non powered in a closet. I also plan on replacing the old coax with new. The number of my report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...temid=29&q=id% 3d0686c9528b497c. I'm not sure how to post the link.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2012, 5:10 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Copy it from the address bar at the top of the screen. The address bar starts with , http://
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote