TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Oct-2010, 3:06 PM   #1
viper3030

Need Advise

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362926e27a91c Help. I live in Winterville area on a hill. I have lots of trees around but have an 80'tower with old analog antenna on top. I would love to ditch the cable company if it would be feasible to put up a digital antenna and rotor. Athens,Ga area doesn't have but the GPB station local. My stations would be from Atlanta and Toccoa. I would love to hear suggestions on type antenna and what stations I would likely receive. I do use netflix and that helps but would like local news. Thanks Billy
viper3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2010, 4:01 PM   #2
mtownsend

A Winegard HD7698P on a rotator with a pre-amp will get you most of the channels on your list down into the "red" zone on your TV Fool report except for WCES on channel 6. If you also want to get channel 6, use a Winegard HD7084P or a HD8200U instead.

For the pre-amp, you can use the Winegard AP-8275, Channel Master 7777, or Antennacraft 10G202.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2010, 5:28 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownsend View Post
A Winegard HD7698P on a rotator with a pre-amp will get you most of the channels on your list
That's a good choice. If you don't want a rotor, you can fix-aim the antenna at Atlanta, you'd get everything you need.

If you also want Spartenburg channels, I'd get a second HD7698P and use an A/B switch. (or feed the second antenna to a DVR)

The use of preamps is a good idea, especially for the 80' of height that you plan to use.

Don't expect to pick up channel 6. TVfool does not factor in low-band noise when it calculates NM. I like to see at least 10 db NM on channel 6, and more is better. In any event, the programming should be the same as WGTV on channel 8.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-2010, 6:45 PM   #4
viper3030

Advise

Thanks for the advise on the antenna
viper3030 is offline   Reply With Quote