TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2014, 2:00 AM   #1
lvanderlaan

Confused in Kentwood

I just purchased an AmazonBasics Extreme Performance Ultra Thin Amplified Indoor HDTV antenna and cannot figure out why I can't get any VHF channels, when I have read other posts elsewhere of those who have also bought it who said they can get VHF channels. The signal results I have (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b943f5c01aef3) shows that at least 3 VHF channels are well within my range. Channel 17.1 and 8.1 are only about 4 miles apart from each other and almost at the same distance out. But of those two I can only get channel 17.1, which is crystal clear. I have the antenna mounted in the attic as well. I can't understand what the difference is. What am I missing? Appreciate any assistance! Thanks.
lvanderlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2014, 6:07 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hi Ivan,

One of the downfalls of this type of "extreme" antenna is that first is an indoor design that is amplified. This means it receives signals through walls and interference from household appliances and amplifies them, meaning there is more "noise" in the recieved dtv signals because those appliances. The end result of this can be strangely unreliable reception.

Second, this design is UHF. If you want VHF you need to graduate to an antenna that supports high-VHF. UHF and high-VHF operate in completely different areas of the electromagnetic spectrum. Just like with tires you have to buy 18 inch tires to fit an 18 inch rim, if an antenna is designed for 174 mhz (high-VHF, real channel 7) vs 500mhz (UHF, real channel 19) you have very different characteristic of wavelength. Thus trying to put 20 inch tires on a 13 inch rims becomes an analogy. It doesn't work. Some get lucky and receive high-VHF signals with UHF systems, but that is normally when VHF signals are very close and very powerful. Those systems are also mounted outside.

Your high-VHF signals are good, but not very strong. This leaves you the best choice:

Install on your roof a HBU11k. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HBU11K&ss=29217. Orientate to about magnetic 220.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 20-Feb-2014 at 6:17 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2014, 2:20 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
Install the , http://www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South East and North West.

Recommend aim the HBU11K antenna at about 120 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

The reason for the 120 degree magnetic compass direction is , WZPX-DT , ION Tv , the signal strength is weak and the 2 Edge path obstructions = hills and mountains in the reception path.

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the HBU11K antenna , receive the best in the forward direction , and also receive at , front angles , back angles , and back of the antenna.
Directional antennas such as and not limited to the HBU11K antenna receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

-----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building have a Negative Effect on reception.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for reliable reception is to install a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.
Old 21-Feb-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
lvanderlaan

Thanks for your reply. Funny your suggestion was that particular model. I was actually going to use this one next: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur...ds=rca+antenna which is almost identical and is also suited for attic installation. But I'm sure the HBU11K works just as well and is cheaper.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 21-Feb-2014, 1:54 AM   #5
lvanderlaan

Thanks for the information. It's funny that the suggested option you specified is almost identical to what I was going to try next (http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur...ywords=antenna). It doesn't appear that there really is much difference between the two other than price, mounting bracket and if power is required (can't tell with the RCA model). Is there a limit to how long the cable can be going back to the TVs? Cable already exists in the attic and there is plenty of open area since the house is a ranch style and is long, but I was going to try and mount it away from an A/C unit that resides up there as well which is near where the cable comes into the attic.

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by lvanderlaan; 21-Feb-2014 at 1:56 AM.
Old 21-Feb-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
StephanieS

The HBU11 or HBU11k (with the jpole mount) I give the nod to because of the pricepoint. I have an RCA ANT751, but for half the price get the same antenna that's a pretty easy one. Neither the ANT751 or the HBU11 require any power.

Coax runs can be 100' or greater. I have 150' to my farthest TV.

I would suggest though, if you are getting into the 150 range with several TVs you invest in a distribution amplifier. One of the issues when you split a signal several times you are reducing it's strength within the coax. It can be noticable if you have a TV that is 30' closer coaxially than another. Some signals may be unreliable on one TV and fine on the closer one. Distribution amps try to keep signal losses managable and consistent across longer runs.

A fine distribution amp is the one made my Channel Master: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B001PI09SE. They come in 2, 4 and 8 port varieties.

Cheers.
Old 3-Mar-2014, 5:12 PM   #7
lvanderlaan

OK, I installed the new antenna (in the attic) and pointed to 120 deg per recommendation by teleview, and it was able to pickup channels 7, 8, 11, 13 in addition to what I already had. However, channels 8, 11 & 13 are very spotty at best and somewhat depends on the weather, but channel 7 comes in great no matter what. Is there a better angle to use than 120 deg? I know that 220 deg was mentioned, but not sure if it would help.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 3-Mar-2014, 5:57 PM   #8
StephanieS

Hi Lee,

The easiest thing to do at this point is test a few different directions to see if you get what you want. It depends if ION is something you want or if you are satisfied with just the major networks. If so, try a heading of about 220. Is Ion reliable at your current heading?

If that doesn't yield results move the antenna physically a few feet in another direction and retest in the attic. You may find a "sweet spot" Attics are notorious for signal problems, multi-path and interference.

If that doesn't work, mount outside with the clear pathway either to 220 or 120 and rescan.

SS
Old 3-Mar-2014, 8:26 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
-----
Attics and the Inside Of Buildings <-->Are Not<--> a reception friendly environment and <-->Never Will Be<--> a reception friendly environment
Old 4-Mar-2014, 2:23 AM   #10
lvanderlaan

Yes, we do get ION as well, but it's not a necessity. I will see if I can find a sweet spot. I understand the risk of mounting in an attic, but at this time of the year it's a much easier option than battling snow and ice on a roof.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 4-Mar-2014, 3:54 AM   #11
teleview

+=>
-----
Do the best you can in the attic.

Move the antenna to different locations.

Often , better reception happens with the antenna up high in the attic.

Also avoid metal and duct work and electric wiring , and some attics have metal backed insulation , avoid obstructions to reception in the directions of reception as much as possible.

And adjust the antenna aim.

-----------

Most Digital Tv's have Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

Signal Quality is Important for Reliable Reception.

The less obstructions to reception in the directions of reception , the better the signal quality will be.