TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Oct-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
BobB66

Can't pull in CBS in Myrtle Beach

Using a Terrestrial Digital High-Performance HDTV Antenna - 91XG with a rotor mounted on channel master eave mounts. The antenna is about 25 feet from the ground and about 8 feet above the roof peak. Coax is about 20 feet to the first set, with a splitter, amp and 50 feet of coax to the second set. According to http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5786e17f7e9 TV signal analysis results, it appears that I'm receiving all the "set top" (green) channels. On a good day, I receive FOX and PBS Charleston. However, I'm not receiving the "local" CBS 13 (Florence/MB) at all. I would think this antenna could do better than that. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
BobB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 1:32 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB66 View Post
Using a Terrestrial Digital High-Performance HDTV Antenna - 91XG

However, I'm not receiving the "local" CBS 13 (Florence/MB) at all.

I would think this antenna could do better than that.
Your assumption that the 91XG UHF only antenna will work on channel 13 baffles me.

The 91 XG is a fabulous UHF only antenna. (channels 14-69 are UHF.)
CBS is on channel 13, a VHF channel. The 91 XG is not designed to pick up channel 13.

Consider adding a VHF antenna such as a Y5-7-13 using a UVSJ splitter joiner.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

TG is correct as to the design of the 91XG. It's not intended for VHF reception. However, since you have a rotor, try positioning the antenna so that it's aimed broadside to the direction of your VHF station. I've observed several times that this will allow some measure of reception of VHF with the 91XG.

The Myrtle Beach area has a good chance of having FM interference into VHF-13. You might find that adding an inexpensive FM trap will fix your reception. Radio Shack carries one under their catalog # 15-0024.

I'd try tho experiments above, separately and in combination, first. Then, if necessary, add the high-VHF antenna as TG suggested with should assuredly remedy your reception situation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2011, 8:11 PM   #4
BobB66

I humbly stand corrected.

Thank you, TG, for straightening me out! I didn't realize my 91XG had UHF-only capabilities. I purchased the recommended Y5-7-14, threw it in the attic,
connected it and the 91XG to a uvsj and an amp (required for another TV set in back room), and I'm receiving awesome reception on all channels, including CBS! Thank you once again...and you too, ADTech.
BobB66 is offline   Reply With Quote