TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jan-2011, 4:15 PM   #1
EMNY

Antenna Advice -- Temple Hills, Maryland

With the rising cost, and diminishing returns on Dish Network, I decided it was time to cut the cord and go with OTA reception. I figured buying an appropriate antenna would be a relatively simple prospect, but when I got into the gritty details, realized there is a lot more to it. Not wanting to take the chance of wasting time and money on solutions which fall short, I'm hoping some individuals more well-versed than myself could offer some sound advice.

Here's the report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4d9166a62eb . Was planning on splitting to 2, maybe 3 TVs--plenty long coaxial run of rg59 and rg6. I was also going to use the old Dish Network bracket to mount a new antenna on the roof. Only thing that concerns me about that is that it's sitting on north side edge of house about a foot away from the gutter. Not sure if interference from the gutter would play a part in the strength of the signal.

Any help on the setup that could be provided would definitely be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
EMNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 4:22 PM   #2
No static at all

The gutter shouldn't have any detrimental effects on reception. Does the roof block your view towards DC?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 8:03 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend a Winegard7694P antenna pointed at 333 magnetic compass. Ok to split 2 or 3 times. If it's 2 Tv's then use a 2 way splitter if its 3 Tv's then use a 3 way splitter. Do not use a 8 way splitter for 2 or 3 Tv's. Every time a split takes place the signal is reduced.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
No static at all

Good suggestions John. An ANT-751 may work too, but the higher gain of the 7694 would likely be a better bet with the additional splits.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 2:16 AM   #5
EMNY

Thanks for the quick responses! I've read about both the Winegard 7694P and ANT751 but had no clue whether or not they'd be good for my situation.

The one thing about the 7694P is it's size. At about 80 inches in length, two-thirds of it would end up sticking off the back of my roof where the mast is currently mounted. And from that location with it only being about 16 feet off the ground, I'm afraid it would be a bit obtrusive. Also that size may not be doable at a different residence in the near future. Here's a (stupid) question: is it possible to "fold" the 7694P boom length down in size and still use it? ...I had to ask.

The ANT751 at less than half the size of the 7694P is more manageable. Splitting the signal for only 2 TVs, would I be able to get pretty comparable performance out of the 751 as to the 7694P, or would there be too much signal degradation? Would I need to take extra measures to get the ANT751 to perform reasonably? Are there any other antennas I should consider with good performance that are a bit smaller in size?

Thanks again for your patience, and especially your help.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 3:56 AM   #6
John Candle

The antennas are not folding. The best to do , is a better roof top antenna mount , a tripod mount , chimney mount , peak of the roof eave mount. Outdoor Broadcast Terrestrial Tv antennas need to be mounted up high and clear of obstructions. A Tv antenna needs room to breath. I suggest that as a part of living a responsible life , move past the , cram it , ram it , jam it. Here is the truth about Tv antennas and amplifiers. The larger the antenna the more -->Real Signal<-->the-->antenna-->collects. Antenna amplifiers do 'not draw in' or 'make' Tv signal. An amplifier increases the strength of signal but does not make any new signal. . As to length , 80 inch's is not much for a Tv antenna 6 feet 6 inch's. Tv antennas are available with more length if you like. It is a good practice with Tv reception to over build , that way you will not find your self later doing a dance and trying figure out how you are going to pull it off with out buying all new stuff.

Last edited by John Candle; 3-Feb-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 5:21 AM   #7
John Candle

A recent post , brought to the front of my thinking , about anecdotal information and real information. Anecdotal information is , Joe said that he heard Mary say that her husband Frank put up an antenna that uncle Bob got from a guy at work for 8 dollars who said that he got all of the Tv stations and we should get one of those antennas. . I do not provide anecdotal information. I have a long history of interest in Tv reception and I have real knowledge of what it takes and why. Do I know every thing?? No I don't. Do I make mistakes sometimes?? Yes I do.

Last edited by John Candle; 3-Feb-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMNY View Post

The ANT751 at less than half the size of the 7694P is more manageable. Splitting the signal for only 2 TVs, would I be able to get pretty comparable performance out of the 751 as to the 7694P, or would there be too much signal degradation? Would I need to take extra measures to get the ANT751 to perform reasonably?
The ANT-751 should work fine for 2 TV's, but 3 may be a stretch. If you ever decide to add more TV's & find reception to be un-reliable, a quality distribution amp(~$30.00) may be added to preserve signal strength to all outlets.

The only possible concern I have is WPGC-FM which may cause issues with one channel. If channel 9 proves to be a problem, it is a cheap,easy fix.(FM trap ~$10.00)
Old 31-Jan-2011, 9:38 PM   #9
EMNY

John Candle, No static at all... thank you very much! Thanks for taking the time to give some meaningful and thoughtful advice on my options. It's pretty easy for me to research the heck out of something ad nauseam, but the experience and expertise you both have brought to the table will help greatly simplify the process.
Old 3-Feb-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
For the life of me, I have no idea how you made any sense of any of that!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote