TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2014, 5:49 AM   #1
LP2065

New to OTA > Location on the Fringe

Here's my tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a67352e04c

To be honest, I'm surprised I'm getting any channels given that my tvfool report says that most channels are listed in the grey category and require extreme measures.

Here's what I've tried:

I first started with a Mohu Sky HDTV Outdoor Antenna about 15 feet up in the attic with a 50ft RG6 cable that runs to the cable junction box and hooks into the existing cable run to the TV (it's probably another 20-30ft of cable, not sure what type it is). I noticed that without the amplifier I could get better signal strength and more channels (45 channels). My guess is that the Noise Figure on the amplifier is adding too much noise to an already weak signal. Given the 150 dollar price tag I did some research and found that there were much cheaper and better performing options.

Currently, I have an Antenna Direct CS2 in the same location and I'm able to pick up 85 channels, but many of them are in the 30-50% signal strength zone and drop out to zero on occasion. I'm not sure what would make it go from 50% to zero without touching anything, but I'm 40 miles out and listed as 2Edge for many channels.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Channel Master 4228HD in hopes of improving the signal given its much higher gain.

According to the report KPXN-DT on 30.1 (RF 38) should be almost impossible for me to pick up with my current setup (it's NM is a whopping -25.5 dB) but on my TV the signal strength varies between 50-70% depending on the weather. KTTV on 11.1 (RF 11) goes from 90% to 100%. Is there something I'm not accounting for or is the tvfool report being too conservative?

Will the Channel Master 4228HD be able to raise the signal strength so that I can get a stable signal?

Should I consider another amplifier? I'm wary given my results with the amplified Mohu Sky.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by LP2065; 2-Mar-2014 at 6:21 AM.
LP2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2014, 4:43 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
An interesting phenomenon that happens of varying degrees in hilly/ low mountain type areas like where you live.

The hills/mountains block direct signal reception.

However the angle of reception from Mt Wilson as an example.

The signal strength of the Tv signals.

The frequencies also known as Tv channels.

And the closeness of the Tv signals to the earth as the Tv signals are traveling from the transmitting antenna to your receiving antenna.

As the Tv signals travel across hills/low mountains the Tv signals are 'Bent'.

And the Magnetic 'pull' of the earth , 'Pull' the Tv signals down.

The effect is Variable.

And Also Changes with the Height and Location of the Tv Antenna.

The CS2 antenna is small and will make a good antenna to probe with.

The CM4228HD is also a good antenna.

Probing both outside and inside.

Finding signal hot spots and signal cold spots.

A long length of coax can be used to move the antenna around.

------

At the Tvfool home page , click on >>Start MAPS<< and enter in your address.

In the antenna height above ground , box , enter in different antenna heights from 1 foot above ground and higher.

And see what happens to signal strengths of the weaker and stronger Tv signals.

------

You can hold the antenna in you hand and use a short mast pipe to probe with and , Home Depot and Lowes have 10 foot lengths of , Top Rail , chain link fence Pipe , the price is low dollars.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Mar-2014 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.