TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2013, 3:05 AM   #1
meazz12

Having trouble figuring how to aim 260 degree

I need to aim my antenna to 260 degree magnetic. I have installed a compass app in my phone. I am having hard time figuring out how to aim the antenna 260 degree magnetic compass. The NBC channel 11 and CW channel 69 are problematic. If I get CW, I loose PBS 30 and NBC 11 and if I get NBC 11.1, I loose CW69. I know I am not pointing the antenna right.

( here is the original thread which has information about my antenna and location. I am using the ClearStream™ 2 Long Range UHF/VHF DTV Antenna with CPA-19 preamp. The antenna is mounted on the backyard fence.
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=8926)

Last edited by meazz12; 2-Mar-2013 at 3:07 AM.
meazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2013, 7:07 AM   #2
teleview

I install the CS2v Complete antenna Up High Above The Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and house do not block reception in the directions of , south west , west , north west , north-north east , south east.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , mulipath/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including for own roof and house.

It is best to install the antenna Up High at a location that has the , least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Aim the CS2v Complete antenna at about 260 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The reception loops are the front of the CS2v Complete antenna.

Aim the front of the CS2v antenna at about 260 degree magnetic compass direction.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with a simple channel scan.

Do a Double rescan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.
Old 2-Mar-2013, 4:12 PM   #3
elmo

I'm confused; why aim at 260 and not 240, or even a few ticks lower? Seems like that is where the cluster of signals is located.

Regardless, those directions, either 260 or 240, are just a reference point to start from. Depending on your surroundings, variances are expected. In other words, aim, rescan, observe, shift 5 degrees.....and repeat until you find the sweet spot. It's likely that your TV has a diagnostics screen to show antenna signal strength. Try to find the best overall average signal strengths to help reception in adverse conditions. In other words, Ch A at 90% and Ch B at 50% is typically not as good as 70%/70%.

I'd assume that the compass app is accurate enough to get you started. To determine your direction, you align North to the needle and while being squared up behind the antenna, you should be able to get the direction. Here's a simple guide to reading direction: http://www.compassdude.com/compass-reading.shtml
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2013, 7:21 PM   #4
teleview

Research shows that WPXA-DT REAL UHF Digital Channel 51 , virtual number (14.1-2-3) ION and Qubo and ION Life.

Is at 295 degree magnetic compass direction.

So to squeeze in reception of ION , then aim the antenna more in the direction of WPXA , aim the antenna at about 260 degree magnetic compass direction.

-->-->-->-->More important then aim direction at this point , is get the antenna Up in the Air Above the Ground and above the roof so Digital Tv Reception Can Happen.<--<--<--<--

As always trees and tree leaves do a good job of , multipath/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , Digital Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Last edited by teleview; 3-Mar-2013 at 2:47 AM.
Old 2-Mar-2013, 8:56 PM   #5
Stereocraig

Keep your distance, from any ferrous materials.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote