TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Mar-2015, 5:50 PM   #1
jshield

Antenna suggestions

Hello,

I need help choosing an antenna. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to my TV signal analysis.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0da7dab54fe

A clear picture with PBS channel 57.1 is a must have in my case.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by jshield; 15-Mar-2015 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
jshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2015, 8:23 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

What does WCVW-DT give you that you can't get on WCVE-DT?

WCVW-DT, virtual channel 57.1, real channel 44, is at 84 degrees magnetic. It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed.

If you only need it and the other Richmond channels above it, then you will need a high gain UHF antenna like the 91XG, and a preamp. If you also need WWBT NBC on real channel 12, then you will need a UHF/VHF-high antenna like the Winegard HD7698P.

Your channels are 2Edge signals, which means that the terrain between the transmitters and your location will interfere with the signals, making them less reliable.

Are there any trees or buildings in the way if your antenna is aimed toward Richmond?

Where will your antenna be mounted? How high off the ground?

How many TVs ?

Last edited by rabbit73; 15-Mar-2015 at 8:48 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2015, 9:05 PM   #3
jshield

Thank you for your help. WCVE-DT could replace WCVW-DT and I would not have a problem with that.

Truly, I would like to get all the channels I circled in the picture I attached. In other words both Charlottesville and Richmond channels. WCVE-DT is more important however.

With that said, it seems to me I would need good multi-directional antenna. I have been looking at the Antenna Direct DB8e. Do you have any input on this?

I plan to attach the antenna to a chimney so I would say 15-20 feet off of the ground. There is two large trees beside the house. One of those trees is in the direct line of sight towards Richmond. Otherwise there is a few acres of field on every side of the house.

I will only be hooking up one TV to the antenna and HDTV is not important. This may or may not matter but the television does rely on a analog to digital converter box.
Attached Images
File Type: png TVFool.png (220.9 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by jshield; 15-Mar-2015 at 9:20 PM. Reason: Attached picture.
Old 15-Mar-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
With that said, it seems to me I would need good multi-directional antenna. I have been looking at the Antenna Direct DB8e. Do you have any input on this?
I have never been impressed with the term "multi-directional antenna." I think it is a term created by a marketing department. It raises your expectations to unrealistic heights.

Based on my experience, the antenna needs to be aimed directly at the transmitter to avoid multipath reflections.

The DB8e is a high quality antenna made by a company with integrity, that will stand by its products. When the two panels are aimed in the same direction, it is hard to beat. But, when the panels are aimed in two different directions, sometimes the results are good and sometimes not. This is because both antennas can pick-up the same signal and when they arrive at the combiner they can interfere with each other if they are not in phase.

ADTech, who works for the manufacturer and is active on this forum giving expert advice has this to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
.....The DB8e is pretty much as just described. Customers have been asking us for years to include the flexibility of independent aiming of the panels so we tossed the feature in there. When the antenna gets up in the air and the panels are aimed independently, either it will work or it won't. For those customers for whom it works, everyone's happy. If it doesn't then it will be necessary to fall back to the conventional practices of rotors, A-B switches, and the like. There's nothing magical or otherwise about the combiner - it's a very good two port splitter that is about as efficient as we could produce. If it's been treated with pixie dust or otherwise has "special" characteristics that eliminate signal phasing issues, I didn't get told about that. The coaxial cable's length has been optimized for this application.

As the DB8e is a UHF design, its application is going to be somewhat limited by the presence of VHF channels in many markets. It isn't for everyone (no antenna is) but, for those who need its peak boresite gain for "straight-ahead" locations, it's the best thing this side of a parabolic for UHF performance.
The advice that I previously gave you was conservative with a high probability of good results with an antenna aimed at Richmond.

If you want two directions, the problem becomes difficult with many possible solutions.

If you are willing to take the risk, why don't you try the two panels in different directions, keeping in mind that the DB8e is a UHF antenna and WWBT is on VHF channel 12. If you can get NBC on WVIR, you don't need WWBT. Add a preamp with its power inserter down near the TV.

If the DB8e aimed in two different directions doesn't work, align the two panels so that they face the same direction and aim them at Richmond at 84 degrees magnetic.

If you still want the Charlottesville channels, add another antenna and preamp, a DB4e aimed at 10 degrees magnetic. Bring the two antenna coax lines down to their power inserters and then to an A/B switch to select which antenna you want to use.

At this point some people combine both with a splitter in reverse instead of the A/B switch, but the same out of phase problem can mess you up here.

If the splitter as a combiner doesn't work, go back to the A/B switch. Your converter box must be able to add a channel after scan or you will need to rescan each time you change antennas.

If you buy a digital TV, get one, like a Sony, that can add a new channel after a scan.

If your converter box can't add a channel after scan, you can add a second converter box for the second antenna and then the A/B switch can select which CH 3/4 output goes to the TV antenna input.

An alternative, if your TV has an A/V input, would be to use the TV input switch to select the other converter box A/V output.

Some people use one antenna and a rotator, but who likes to wait while it changes direction, and who wants to rescan each time you change direction, and who wants to fix a broken rotator in January?

Last edited by rabbit73; 16-Mar-2015 at 12:33 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2015, 1:17 AM   #5
jshield

Thank you for all the help! I somehow overlooked the fact that the DB8e was designed for UHF channels. I believe I would like the antenna to be designed for both VHF and UHF frequencies.

This antenna will actually be installed for an elderly woman and I would like to make her experience while watching television as trouble free as possible. Over any specific channel, she would also prefer the most convenient route. In other words, she wants to power on the TV and converter box and be done.

Based off the information you've given me and because of this, my plan is to install the antenna and aim it in the direction of Richmond. I will give her a few days to rate her experience. The next few days I will do the same except in the direction of Charlottesville. I will do the same with Lynchburg (West). I will let her choose which set of channels she prefers.

Now that I have made a concrete decision on the channels I would like, should I be looking for a VHF/UHF antenna? It's human nature to think an antenna designed for both is just a smarter purchase. Is this incorrect? Based on my location analysis would it be a waste of money and or potential performance to buy something designed for both UHF and VHF? If so, I will take your suggestion and purchase the DB8e. If not, should I go with your first suggestion and purchase a Winegard HD7698P?

Basically I would like to get the most from which ever city I point the antenna, with a PBS network still being rather important. The cost of the antenna is not an issue. If this helps, the antenna will most likely be pointed towards Richmond.

Last edited by jshield; 16-Mar-2015 at 4:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 16-Mar-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshield View Post
If this helps, the antenna will most likely be pointed towards Richmond.
IMO,Charlottesville will be your best bet at getting ALL the networks with a single antenna solution. NBC 12 will likely be a challenge when trying for Richmond. Fringe viewers have had trouble getting 12 since the digital transition.

Using a dedicated channel 7-13 antenna (Y10-7-13) at a friends house near Charlottesville we couldn't get channel 12. All the Richmond UHF stations come in (91XG), but no NBC 12.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote