TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Apr-2013, 4:45 PM   #1
molecularman

Reception without an antenna?

I had an interesting situation - wanted to see if anyone has experienced this.

Most of the towers are around 25 miles away - I was using rabbit ears, which worked okay for the main channels, but it was not consistent.. So I decided to get a bigger antenna and put it in the attic.

I cut and stripped the cable in the attic, running down to the outlet in the living room - I also hung the antenna in the attic. However, I did not connect the cable to the antenna as I needed to get an f-connector to install on the stripped cable.

I was just curious, so I hooked a cable up to my tv.. and much to my surprise I picked up quite a few channels, actually better than the rabbit ears in the house.. How?? Simply stripping the cable and leaving it in the attic allowed it to pick up OTA?? I was shocked..
molecularman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2013, 8:12 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Without a TV Fool report I can only presume your situation is average with many of the stations operating in the UHF frequency range. The wave lengths in the UHF band are short enough that a few inches of wire can act as an antenna element. At 25 miles, the amount of power available is still substantial, enough to overcome the inefficiency of a poorly tuned antenna element. So, no shock or surprise. I've use an unbent paper clip as a UHF antenna... just to demonstrate the idea.

One other possible explanation to consider though, a bad connection between the coax shield and connector shell can cause the entire length of coax to behave like a long wire antenna. If you're having a hard time with reception, give close scrutiny to the connectors, they need to be secure physically and electrically.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote