TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Apr-2014, 2:16 PM   #1
Billhiggs

A few questions from Central Jersey

I live in Central Jersey near Easton. I cut the cord about a month ago and I could use some help with my antenna. I purchased a ChannelMaster CM-3020 and I plan to strap it to my chimney. I have a few questions:
1. Which direction should I point it to receive the most channels?
2. Should I purchase a pre-amp?
3. Any value in purchasing a rotor?
My goal is to receive ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. Right now the antenna is in the attic pointed northwest and I'm receiving Cbs 22.1 and Nbc 28.1.
Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94cf61815543
Billhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2014, 4:26 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Getting the antenna outside, clear of obstructions such as your roof and nearby trees, is the single most important step.

Point the antenna toward 324° (compass) to start with, then fine tun the aim from that point.

I'd suggest the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier.

A rotator may be a convenience when fine tuning aim... Especially if the antenna is actually mounted at 50' above ground. It may provide the option to see a few more channels. But if you have multiple TVs that are used at the same time, there will be times when you'll disagree on which way the antenna should be pointed.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2014, 6:22 PM   #3
Billhiggs

Thanks for the reply- I'll go with the RCA pre-amp. I'm inclined to avoid the rotor because I've heard their not reliable and I don't want the hassle of re-calibrating the settings.
On an unrelated subject and at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut-- do stations have the ability to decrease their signal strength and has anyone noticed that there may be some loss in signal during high-profile broadcasts (like the Super Bowl)?
Old 4-Apr-2014, 6:48 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The FCC license that a station operates under generally requires the broadcaster to maintain a specific power level. Only if there is an equipment failure, maintenance need or other extenuating circumstance would the broadcaster be allowed to reduce power temporarily. Failure to resolve the problem could result in the loss of their license to operate the station. Contact the station's engineering department when you suspect they may have reduced power, I would expect them to be receptive and forthcoming in almost every case.

Weather and related atmospheric conditions are a more likely explanation of temporary reception changes.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2014, 7:02 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
It is true that Tv transmitter power can be reduced.

And now days transmitting pattern is easier to shape and reshape to decrease and increase reception of areas.

Blackouts were were used in the past , to exclude areas and Tv stations that were not part of and not paying for , sports networks prime games like the Super Bowl.

The practice was discontinued years ago.

However the sports networks may be at it again.

The High Dollar Big Money Sports Networks have the power to dictate terms to Tv stations and delivery providers such as cable and satellite.

People that subscribe to cable and satellite that do not subscribe the sports packages.

Are Forced to pay/subsidies for the people that like sports programing.

Even if though the sports packages are not being subscribed to by the people that are not interested in sports.

That is how much power the Big Money Sports Networks have.

--------------

My interest of sports is Less Then Zero Into The Negative Numbers.

What the people that like sports and the big money sports networks do to people is not nice.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Apr-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 6-Apr-2014, 6:52 PM   #6
Billhiggs

ESPN is destroying college athletics and seems intent on turning the NFL into the WWE.
As for cable and internet service providers, well, please don't tell me it's a free market. The consumer is almost always the least important factor in every transaction.
Old 7-Apr-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
teleview

+=>

Here is a Tv service that is currently consumer friendly.

http://www.aereo.com.

The Broadcast Tv station owners are doing their best to shut Aereo down.

Here is reception of Satellite Tv Channels for Free.

The networks Actually provide the programing for Free.

Here is a place to start to learn about , FTA-ST = Free To Air - Satellite Tv.

Also known as simply FTA.

FTA is received with a Small KU Band Dish.

http://www.ftalist.com.

Here is information about a FTA Receiver and Small KU band Dish and more information.

http://www.manhattan-digital.net.