TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jul-2015, 9:31 AM   #1
nipitinthebud

Trying to cut the cord between Chicago and Milwaukee

Trying to cut the cord between Chicago and Milwaukee. A couple of concerns about interference. The first is high tension power lines to the south about a tenth of a mile away. Will they cause ghosting? The second is the Waukegan airport, it is a small busy airport with single engine planes and corporate jets located a few miles to the south. What antenna or antennas would work the best?
Here is my reception report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e038cf1f6d6b3
The antenna would be mounted outside on an eve mount. There are no trees or houses in the way.
Did I miss anything? Thanks.
nipitinthebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Jake V

You have good, strong signals. I suggest an ANT-751 pointed at 167 degrees using a compass. If you truly have line of sight from the antenna to the SSE you should get all of the green and most of the yellow stations.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2015, 3:55 PM   #3
Stereocraig

A wild guess, is that you live near the landfill.
You should be able to receive stations from Milwaukee, too.
I live near the drive in theater and receive tons of stations from both directions, as well as an occasional Michigan and Indiana.

The problem is, you would need a rotor, or a two antenna setup, w/ or w/out an AB switch.

If your tuner requires a full rescan every time you change directions, a rotor or an AB switch, is a no-go.

Barney Fife rocks!
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2015, 6:58 PM   #4
nipitinthebud

Trying to cut the cord between Chicago and Milwaukee

I was thinking of using an Antennas Direct Db8e and pointing 1 panel towards 164 degrees and the other towards 357 degrees. I also have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu Plus for binge watching.
Thanks again.
nipitinthebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
MuskegoJeff

Cool 75 miles away...great reception!

Recently , I installed a basic 2 bay antenna in our attic with it facing s/se towards Chicago towers. We are in Muskego,WI , almost 75 miles from the towers. I'd say 95% of the time , WLS 7 , WFLD 32 and WPWR 50 come in. As I type this right now (always best to get more stations in early morning), am also getting WMAQ 5 ,WGN 9 and WCIU 26. . Even though this is a uhf antenna , periodically I can also get WBBM 2 which is a vhf 12 station , hard to believe. The main reason I tried for Chicago stations was to try and get WPWR 50.4 Buzzr channel. All the rest are bonuses! I'm anxious to see how reception is all times of the day once late fall arrives and the leaves are off our maple tree to the south as well as 3 neighbor's trees to the s/se. This is the antenna I'm using (was on special for $12.99 when I got it) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s01 and this is the pre-amp I'm using : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00
MuskegoJeff is offline   Reply With Quote