TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jul-2010, 3:46 PM   #1
etsuHoopsFan

OTA Newbie in TN

After being a cable customer for 20+ years, I am finally wanting to try to get HDTV over the air but need some help and advice. I have a few questions.

First, here is what I got from my address analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe77e6e3797b

Obviously I want to get the most and clearest channels as I can. I don't really understand what this analysis is telling me. Are those first 10 signals from my location good signals?

I tried an amplified indoor antenna from Radio Shack just for kicks since the guy said i could return it if I was not satisfied. I ran the auto detect on my HDTV and it found 4 digital signals, but I only got (could see) channel 6.1 and nothing else. It was clear and looked good. I did not try to go outside with the antenna.

So, if I wanted to try a large rooftop antenna what do I need to be looking for. Can I use the existing cable wiring to tie into the cable that will be coming from the antenna? Or is there a special ohm cable that is different from what the Cable company used?

Sorry for the long winded post. Any help appreciated.
etsuHoopsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2010, 5:01 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

To get a better understanding of what the analysis is trying to say, you chould check out the FAQ linked to at the top of the report.

Briefly, the NM data is the design criteria - having +10dB at the receiver will yield reliable reception. In your case, yes, you do have 10 strong signals, including one VERY strong signal. Experimenting with an indoor antenna was not a bad idea, but the mistake was using an amplified one. The strongest signal, WBXX, was probably overloading it, causing distortion to almost every signal.

You don't need a high-gain antenna, but you do need VHF/UHF. Some good choices are the RCA ANT-751 or the AntennaCraft HBU-33. Good luck!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2010, 7:48 PM   #3
etsuHoopsFan

Thanks for the reply. Can I use the existing cableTV cable runs (to 5 locations in the house) and if so, will i need an amp?
Old 21-Jul-2010, 9:50 PM   #4
mtownsend

All of the stations at the top of your list are coming in VERY strong. These are strong enough to overload just about any amp on the market, so you must be sure to avoid any antenna that has a built-in amp. A completely passive, unamplified antenna is your best bet.

The antennas recommended by Dave Loudin are good. The HBU-22 (smaller version of the HBU-33) or Winegard HD7694P would also work.

TV coax is nominally 75 ohm. RG6 is the most common cable for this application. It is the same as the coax used by the cable companies, so in theory, it's possible to use the same cabling if it is no longer connected to the cable company's signal feed.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsuHoopsFan View Post
will i need an amp?
Due to the strong signals from the local stations, I think you should steer clear of any amps. An overloaded amp introduces signal distortion, and this will probably make all your channels worse rather than better.

The signals should already be strong enough to send signals to all your rooms.

When splitting the signal to multiple rooms, make sure that none of the end points are left open. They should either be connected into a receiver or capped with a terminator (like this) if the port is unused. If any of the end points is left open, this can cause signals to be reflected back into the cable distribution network. These reflected signals are a form of interference that can make it harder for the receivers in other rooms to stay locked on to each channel. You can prevent this from happening by terminating any unused ports.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2010, 1:14 AM   #6
etsuHoopsFan

Thanks to all for the info. I will try one of the antennas mentioned and give an update when installed.