TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jul-2011, 5:29 AM   #1
sphinxpup

Reception Help

Hello,
I currently have a weird setup. When we first moved in I tried several different wal-mart antennas from bunny ears to a $45 "outdoor antenna. Nothing gave me all the channels i wanted to on a whim i tried this little guy. http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-U.../dp/B004GSVWPO . That gave me the best reception of all four antennas i bought at wal-mart. Recently I can’t get a steady channel 3.1. It looks like it is wbtv "23" on the tv fool report.

I am wanting to replace it with a real antenna, possibly http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...ref=pd_sim_e_7 . It is currently located about 6 ft high at the rear of my house. I just wanted to get your guys opinion. I am not against mounting it in my attic if that is better. Thanks in advance!

TV Signal Analysis Results
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03f3d8921c918a
sphinxpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2011, 6:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given that you are only 2 to 4 miles from several full power transmitters, your experience is to be expected. Any amplified antenna would be driven into overload and thus produce less, not more usable signal to the TV. In fact the strong signal level may be enough to overload the TV receiver without any amplification. You are in a situation where 'less can be more'.

Your selection of the Antennas Direct DB-2 is not bad... though I think you can do a bit better yet. Try an RCA ANT-751 pointed toward 290° on the compass. Also, be prepared to add some attenuation (15 to 25 dB, est.). You are in a situation where you need clean signal.... that's not too strong. The ANT-751 will be a bit directional which means it will ignore some reflected signal from the sides. However, it and virtually all other antennas will receive too much signal, which is what the attenuator(s) will give you control over. Most of the stations on azimuth 120° will be received from the back of the antenna... some experimentation with the exact attenuation will help if you are interested in the weaker signals.

The ANT-751 lends itself to outdoor wall mounting, which means you may be able to use the building as a shield from the strongest signals... if needed. Again, some experimentation may be in order.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Jul-2011 at 6:34 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2011, 7:47 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is a variable attenuator , Antennas Direct model 1296F . The transmissions at the top of the list are over the top strong. For a outdoor antenna I also recommend a ANT751. If using a outdoor antenna I strongly recommend grounding the coax with a coax ground block. If you put the antenna in the attic I still recommend ground the coax with a coax ground block. The coax ground block connected to a ground , directs interfering signals to ground , because the receive location will have interfering signals. I also recommend aim the ANT751 at about 290 degree magnetic compass.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-Jul-2011 at 9:20 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2011, 8:08 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Metal siding , metal backed insulation , metal roofs , concrete walls , brick from ground to roof , reduce and block tv transmissions. If the house is a standard wood frame house with wood or plastic siding then a NON AMPLIFIED indoor tv antenna will likley work. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . The rods of the indoor antenna will be on a line with north and south.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-Jul-2011 at 9:19 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2011, 4:49 PM   #5
sphinxpup

Thanks

It is currently sitting on the breaker box at the rear of the house by vinyl siding. I will have to get a pole or something for the new antenna to sit on. Thanks guys!
sphinxpup is offline   Reply With Quote