TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-May-2010, 4:27 PM   #1
lodger

Philadelphia WPVI Reception problems -- Help Requested

I'm having trouble capturing the ABC signal ever since I hooked up my digital tuner in a new neighborhood. It was never great reception even at my old location, but I usually received something, at least.

Anyway, after bringing the antenna to the new location near (34th and Walnut) I cleared the previous settings by scanning sans antenna, and then did a full scan. The tuner found most every other station, but could not even locate the WPVI signal. It's not that the reception is bad, it's that the tuner cannot even id a station as broadcasting there.

I'm using an AccessHD model 1080 digital tuner and a Radio Shack VHF/UHF digital antenna, Model 15-1868.

Is there anything I can do? Preferably before the LOST finale on Sunday?
lodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-May-2010, 4:51 PM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 . . . Philadelphia , PA and surrounding areas is Big Place , When I type Philadelphia , PA in the address locator it shows that you live at City Hall at S. Penn Square and N. Juniper Street. Is this true?

Last edited by teleview; 21-May-2010 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 21-May-2010, 5:08 PM   #3
lodger

No, like I said, I'm near 34th St. and Walnut, west of the Schuylkill River.
Old 21-May-2010, 5:20 PM   #4
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

The satellite view of 34 street and Walnut shows a College Campus , so you live in a Apartment building? . . . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
Old 21-May-2010, 5:42 PM   #5
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

I live at Fort Lupton East of the South Platte River. Do i live in a Apartment , House , Mobile home , Motor home , Travel trailer , My car? Do I live in a basement or on the top floor? . . Are you getting the Idea?

Last edited by teleview; 21-May-2010 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 21-May-2010, 5:52 PM   #6
lodger

I see. It's near the campus, on the first floor of a two-story office building, in a room with windows on the South and West walls. Report here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd7263023b6e65
Old 21-May-2010, 5:57 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Cutting through all the clutter...

Your existing antenna needs to be both adjusted and positioned for the best shot at WPVI. WPVI transmits on a frequency just below the FM radio band and requires a long antenna to be naturally effective.

Extend the elements fully. Lay them down so they are both horizontal. If the tip-to-tip length exceeds 65", shorten them to make them that length. If they are not 65", leave them as long as you can.

Place the antenna broadside in front of a window that faces generally north to north-west.

That's as good as it is going to get with your existing antenna.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-May-2010, 6:10 PM   #8
lodger

Thanks! Should the actual telescoping antennae be pointed in any particular direction/orientation for reception, or just left horizontal?

And what kind of antenna should I look into for a better shot at reception?

Thanks again.
Old 21-May-2010, 8:32 PM   #9
Dave Loudin

Wow. You get 10 tons of signal!

Yes, the telescoping part of the antenna is what ADTech was talking about. Horizontal, with the elements pointing east-west to begin with. You are likely having issues with multipath, so turning the antenna to face different directions may be necessary in order to lock on one signal path over the other. Keep the telescoping elements horizontal. As WPVI is boradcasting on channel 6, you have really no other options to improve signal capture. All indoor antennas that truly have VHF capability use telescoping rods.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2010, 9:07 AM   #10
kb2fzq

Just a note of concern, I have been having pixelation problems with MY local RF 6, WRGB, over the last 4 or 5 days. This occurs in the afternoons, but some days it is fine. I can only contribute this to atmospheric conditions, with a distant RF 6 disrupting my local 6. This station has been stellar all winter long, a 67% SS, no changes were made and now I have issues. You may be experiencing issues at a new location with antenna placement, AND atmospheric issues at the same time. I just wanted to add that info...
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2010, 1:32 PM   #11
RobertMillerConsulting

Hi Lodger,
Sorry to hear about your reception issues. WPVI is the only station in Philly broadcasting on a low VHF channel (RF channel 6, presenting problems for many an OTA viewer).
Also, a quick read of the customer reviews of your current antenna on Radio Shack's own web site doesn't look good:

http://www.radioshack.com/pwr/produc...r-Antenna.html

You may want to look at purchasing a better antenna to pick up the VHF RF. Outdoor antennae are always best, but if you must stay indoors, there's some good advice above, and I see that the amplified Terk HDTVA antenna is getting good consumer reviews. Do some research, and ask questions when purchasing.

Most stores will accept a return if their antenna doesn't work out for your situation.
I hope this helps...

Bob

http://RobertMillerConsulting.com

Last edited by RobertMillerConsulting; 22-May-2010 at 2:17 PM.
RobertMillerConsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2010, 6:10 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodger View Post
I'm having trouble capturing the ABC signal ever since I hooked up my digital tuner in a new neighborhood.
The signal from WMMR-FM on 93.3 is 20 db stronger than WPVI. You could try an attenuator or an FM trap.

With patience you may be able to find a spot for your antenna that tends to get WPVI better than WMMR. The process will be more difficult because WPVI is no longer stored in your channel map. You must adjust the antenna, rescan; adjust the antenna, rescan; over and over and over again. (You would have been better off if you had not rescanned.)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2010, 9:11 PM   #13
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Attn: RobertMillerConsulting . . . . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 .

Last edited by teleview; 23-May-2010 at 6:49 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 23-May-2010, 6:21 AM   #14
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

ATTN: RobertMillerConsulting. . . I have facts and know where to get facts.