TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 6-Nov-2014, 8:43 PM   #1
pawoodbutcher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
Televes Boss Tech DAT-790 LR HD

Has anyone ever herd of this critter? It's apparently new because its preorder only.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

It looks very good, to me. Specs are a little hard to come by.
Televes' website.....

http://www.televes.com/en/catalogo/p...aje-individual

I live in a deep fringe area and was thinking of swapping out the 8200, since I don't need VHF anyhow.

[If admin wants to move this to "antennas".. Go ahead.]

Last edited by pawoodbutcher; 6-Nov-2014 at 8:47 PM.
pawoodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2014, 6:01 AM   #2
Stereocraig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 472
A few different places, are selling similar antennas. For less money.

http://www.parts-express.com/antop-u...tenna--210-514

32db of gain, tells me that it has a built in amp, which I would avoid.

The 8200 is a good antenna.
If you truly need to get rid of it and are happy w/ Winegard, then consider the 7698p.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2014, 2:17 PM   #3
pawoodbutcher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
I was really looking at the AD 91XG. Im sure you are all very familiar with it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

I just happend to come across the other one, and it looked like it might be decent.

Why do you not like the built in amps? Cuz they fail, and then your antenna is no good?
pawoodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2014, 3:27 PM   #4
Stereocraig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoodbutcher View Post
I was really looking at the AD 91XG. Im sure you are all very familiar with it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

I just happened to come across the other one, and it looked like it might be decent.

Why do you not like the built in amps? Cuz they fail, and then your antenna is no good?
One of my antennas is a 91XG and I'm very happy w/ it.


For the same reasons I use separate audio components. Because of the reason you stated about failure and because you really don't know anything about the amp.

32db, sounds like they're adding the antenna gain and the amp gain together.

Unless you post your TVFR, we don't know if a UHF only like the 91XG would even be adequate.
I receive some VHF w/ mine, but I wasn't planning on them, when I started out. YMMV.

Last edited by Stereocraig; 7-Nov-2014 at 3:33 PM.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2014, 3:36 PM   #5
pawoodbutcher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
Many thanks. I kinda thought the 32db was too good to be true. The 91xp's 16.8db seems like the best in the business, especially for UHF only.
pawoodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2014, 4:51 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,941
The ones at Parts Express are cheap Chinese knock-offs of some of the other Televes designs. They are not Televes antennas.

Peak gain on the 91XG is up in what is now the cellular bands although channel 51 gain is around 17.4 dBi(http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...s/91XG-TDS.pdf).

The DB8e also has a peak gain of around 17.4 dBi on channel 51 but offers much improved gain at the lower end of the UHF band. (https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...s/DB8E-TDS.pdf
)

The Televes Boss Tech series uses an automatic gain control feature in the amp to vary gain depending on the strength of the signals at its input. It's been around three or four years, but they've been tough to find in North America (Televes is located in Spain) since they hadn't focused on the US market until recently. I've yet to see one.
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2017, 4:22 AM   #7
ka1000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: MA
Posts: 5
Now ADTech, Your company will have to adjust their antennas to 600 mgh. the new uhf band takes affect in 2020.
ka1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2017, 2:28 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1000 View Post
Now ADTech, Your company will have to adjust their antennas to 600 mgh. the new uhf band takes affect in 2020.

You're three years premature. Check back in three years.

FWIW, we have a number of competitors who are still selling only antennas that were designed for the 1983 channel band, they never bothered updating for the 2009 channels as we did.
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2020, 7:56 PM   #9
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You're three years premature. Check back in three years.

FWIW, we have a number of competitors who are still selling only antennas that were designed for the 1983 channel band, they never bothered updating for the 2009 channels as we did.
Hey ADTech!!!

Well, time flies when you're having a good time! Here it is,"3 years later"

SO did they?

Did your marketing or engineering consider matching the antenna frequencies to the new 2020 Repack frequencies?

bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2020, 9:22 PM   #10
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Televes DT790. Dropped by Solid Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoodbutcher View Post
Has anyone ever herd of this critter? It's apparently new because its preorder only.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

It looks very good, to me. Specs are a little hard to come by.
Televes' website.....

http://www.televes.com/en/catalogo/p...aje-individual

I live in a deep fringe area and was thinking of swapping out the 8200, since I don't need VHF anyhow.

[If admin wants to move this to "antennas".. Go ahead.]
Well, 3 years later, It's been discontinued. At least the sale of it by Solid Signal.

I wonder why?

A couple of issues, I imagine:

Confusing part #'s Seems like everything is a "790"
Complicated to put together. The SS video was telling...
Big and heavy by Stuarts assessment.
Not price competitive for a relatively unknown antenna., (seems that they have adjusted the pricing though)
A lot don't like the built in pre-amp. It was suspicious anyhow since it was autogain.

I chatted with Solid Signal, this one is backordered:
Televes DATBOSS LR Long-Range Amplified UHF TV Antenna LTE Filter
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149783

The recommended replacement is the:
$103.00
Televes DATBOSS Mix LR UHF VHF Long Range Outdoor TV Antenna
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149883

This one was discontinued:
Televes DAT790 LR Mix UHF VHF Long Range Antenna
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149881



Last edited by bobsgarage; 27-Mar-2020 at 4:58 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2020, 6:04 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,941
Hey, Bob!


Last I heard, the potential benefit possible would never justify the development and re-tooling costs. It's been a while, though, and I'm no longer in that loop.
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 27-Mar-2020 at 6:25 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2020, 9:28 PM   #12
tripelo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Hey ADTech!!!
Did your marketing or engineering consider matching the antenna frequencies to the new 2020 Repack frequencies?
Thanks bobsgarage, for asking the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
... Last I heard, the potential benefit possible would never justify the development and re-tooling costs...
Thanks ADTech, for your response.

Probably not what most of us would like to hear.

But, it is good to know.

.
tripelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,941
Do not overlook the caveat I included, to whit:
Quote:
It's been a while, though, and I'm no longer in that loop.
__________________
Antennas Direct Tech Support

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2020, 2:23 PM   #14
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Do not overlook the caveat I included, to whit:
ADTech ! It's good to hear from you!

I know, that was kind of the feelings (no need to redesign antennas) before about antenna redesign for the repack. I just feel like there's opportunity there.

Nobody's even marketing antennas for the repack like they did with the digital transition and color TV. Seems strange in this day of marketing running the show instead of quality running the show.

It just seems odd to me.


Last edited by bobsgarage; 28-Mar-2020 at 3:37 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2020, 6:06 PM   #15
rickbb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 334
As I have discovered, the repack in process is moving several stations back into VHF territory. Before the repack started I only had 1 station in my area in VHF, now I have 3, and the repack continues.

I see a new combo antenna design being needed soon. IMHO.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2020, 2:02 PM   #16
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
As I have discovered, the repack in process is moving several stations back into VHF territory. Before the repack started I only had 1 station in my area in VHF, now I have 3, and the repack continues.

I see a new combo antenna design being needed soon. IMHO.
I agree with you 100%. There will need to be a new redesign. I believe that the antennas will have a slightly different look to them now with the larger elements for the UHF also.

And a lot of these large antenna companies are just looking at it from the standpoint of if it works why change it? Myself I think with people cutting the cord at a rapid Pace right now because of this pandemic financial stress, there will be a market for free TV and you might as well have a modern configured antenna.

That's my feelings and a lot of others too.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 19-Jun-2020 at 1:29 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 6:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC