TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Feb-2012, 8:58 PM   #1
pnguyen

What antenna to set up?

Hi,

New member here, would like to get some help with setting up antenna at my place.

This is my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86456bfde9c6

My current antenna is a Yagi one, probably 12' long, 6'+ wide; my guess is a VHF/UHF. It's very heavy, and look scary with strong wind.

The antenna is about 30' above ground. The connections are probably all rust up, so no station are received.

Before I set thing up again, just wondering:

* Would an 8 bay bow tie works for most of the stations in pink? or I need to use the old Yagi again?
* If it's useful, I can install a rotator with the 8-bay; not with the old Yagi.
* Would a 8-bay Digiwave work as good as Channel Master? It's cheaper in my town.
* I'd like to avoid a pre-amp if it's possible?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
pnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

My initial research at www.rabbitears.info leads me to believe that most if not all of the low-VHF signals (real channel 2 through 6) are now off the air. You'll want to confirm that at digitalhome.ca.

Your TVFool report indicates a large deep fringe antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P and a good low noise preamp such as the Antennas Direct CP-18.

A rotator would give you the option to view both Canadian and US signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2012, 5:37 AM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Antenna rotors are not friendly for channel surfing , Must wait for antenna to rotate. For my recommendation , how many tv's will be connected.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
pnguyen

There will be one TV using the antenna.

If a deep fringe antenna is needed, probably the existing Yagi can be re-used; but it's hard to put it on a rotator due to its weight. Even then a pre-amp is still needed? No chance an 8-bay would work?

Thanks.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 4:25 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Many of the available signals at your location are still broadcast on VHF frequencies. An 8-bay antenna will limit you to UHF reception for the most part.

If I was building an antenna system in these conditions, yes, I would use a high quality preamp.

Rotators are not my favorite accessory but the alternative is multiple fixed aim antennas.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

If one or more analog station in your area is to remain on a low VHF channel for some time, a large all channel antenna (like your existing Yagi or the Winegard HD7082 or 7084) would be reasonable. (You may be able to find more local knowledge of the current Canadian Analog -> Digital transition at digitalhome.ca. They have individual forums for the various areas in Canada.)

If you need to rotate a large TV antenna, you may want to consider the HyGain AR-40... It's three to four times the cost of consumer grade TV antenna rotators, but far stronger. The NTE U-106 rotator kit and TB-105 Support Bearing are physically stronger also.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Feb-2012 at 4:43 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2012, 6:30 AM   #6
Electron

Of the antennas pictured here , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , what antenna looks the most like the one you have. The antenna that you have , is any part of the antenna broken or missing or bent?? . How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by Electron; 23-Feb-2012 at 6:38 AM.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 8:44 PM   #7
pnguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Of the antennas pictured here , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , what antenna looks the most like the one you have. The antenna that you have , is any part of the antenna broken or missing or bent?? . How many Tv's are/will be connected??
It'd look most like the all band VHF/UHF/FM, without the angled reflector. The antenna is quite intact with only one element got missing (for now), may be some rusty connectors...

It'd be for one TV set only.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Electron

As an example here is a matching transformer that will most likley connect to the antenna. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1501140 . Use new RG-6 coax outside. And any where else that the coax might be less then good. Aim the antenna that you have at about 40 degrees magnetic compass for the Canada digital tv stations. . Then aim the antenna at about 160 degree magnetic compass for the American Tv stations/channels , WWNY-DT 7 CBS and FOX , WPBS-DT 41 PBS , WWIT-DT 21 ABC and CW . What is the reception like for the Canada and American Tv stations?? Remember the tv , Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels. Sometimes called the , ' Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels'. Do Not scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by Electron; 24-Feb-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 7:29 PM   #9
pnguyen

Quote:
As an example here is a matching transformer that will most likley connect to the antenna. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1501140 . Use new RG-6 coax outside. And any where else that the coax might be less then good. Aim the antenna that you have at about 40 degrees magnetic compass for the Canada digital tv stations. . Then aim the antenna at about 160 degree magnetic compass for the American Tv stations/channels , WWNY-DT 7 CBS and FOX , WPBS-DT 41 PBS , WWIT-DT 21 ABC and CW . What is the reception like for the Canada and American Tv stations?? Remember the tv , Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels. Sometimes called the , ' Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels'. Do Not scan for cable tv channels.
Thanks for the link to the transformer, a balun would be my next thing to worry about.

I'm settling down to the idea of re-using the old Yagi as I think my area (and local cities) didn't go to Digital too much during the last Aug 31st deadline, and wouldn't for a long period, according to CRTC's website. Some low VHF stations will still be there...

The old set up had the pre-amp with it. I'll have to decide if I want a new one.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 9:23 PM   #10
Electron

As I suggested , clean the antenna terminals and connect a New Balun and coax from the antenna to the Tv. And aim the antenna at the Canada stations and American stations to see what can be received. Do not use a preamp , this is just a test.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 9:31 PM   #11
Electron

Please do not use the word , worry , the word slows down progress. This is a - Adventure - with all the wonderful situations that are to come.

Last edited by Electron; 25-Feb-2012 at 6:11 PM.
Old 24-Feb-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Electron

If I lived at your location this is what I would install. For ease of use for receiving Digital Tv Stations/Channels I would install a Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 40 degree magnetic compass for the Canada Digital Tv stations/channels. . And a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 160 degree magnetic compass for the American Digital Tv stations/channels. The 2 antenna systems will have separate coaxes all the way to the location of the Tv. The 2 separate antenna coax systems will be connected to the inputs of a Remote Control A/B antenna switch and the output will be connected to the Tv. This set up is the easy life , push the buttons on the hand held remote control of the A/B antenna switch and change from one antenna to the other. No waiting for the antenna to rotate. Buy every thing at , http://www.saveandreplay.com , on line or go into the store.
Old 25-Feb-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
pnguyen

Quote:
Please do not use the word - worry - the word slows down progress. This is a adventure with all the wonderful situations that are to come.
I particularly agree with the "adventure" Thanks for your advice so far.
Old 25-Feb-2012, 4:21 PM   #14
pnguyen

Quote:
If I lived at your location this is what I would install. For ease of use for receiving Digital Tv Stations/Channels I would install a Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 40 degree magnetic compass for the Canada Digital Tv stations/channels. . And a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 160 degree magnetic compass for the American Digital Tv stations/channels. The 2 antenna systems will have separate coaxes all the way to the location of the Tv. The 2 separate antenna coax systems will be connected to the inputs of a Remote Control A/B antenna switch and the output will be connected to the Tv. This set up is the easy life , push the buttons on the hand held remote control of the A/B antenna switch and change from one antenna to the other. No waiting for the antenna to rotate. Buy every thing at , http://www.saveandreplay.com , on line or go into the store.
Now I remember the set up on the antenna mast when it was dismantled (from previous home's owner): the big Yagi on top, with a smaller Yagi underneath (probably UHF range). The big one facing South, the smaller one facing North for the Can channels.

I could set them up the same way, just have to know how to wire the cables up to the pre-amp and down to the TV.
Old 25-Feb-2012, 6:09 PM   #15
Electron

Your Adventure continues , I gave a recommendation for a flexible use antenna set up , a all band antenna channels 2 thru 69 for the Canada stations. And a channels 7 thru 69 antenna for the American stations. You have a preamp that will connect to one of the antennas that you have. And a CPA-19 preamp will connect to the other antenna that you have. The American stations will be only digital and will be in the channel range of 7 thru 51. The Canada stations can be channels 2 thru 69. However channels 52 thru 69 have been sold to the cell phone , broadband , international companies just like in the USA , so they have more the likley taken full possetion of 52 thru 69 buy now. And that leaves Canada with channels 2 thru 51 just like in the USA. The receivable American digital stations at your location are the channel range of channels 7 thru 51. Yes there some Analog Tv stations in the USA as in Canada however Non of the Analog stations in the USA are receivable from your location. The date for complete Analog shutdown in the USA is SEP.1 2015. Canada does not currently have a complete Analog shutdown date. How ever I suspect that it will be close to the USA date because Television manufactures will not include Analog tuners to receive only a few Analog Tv stations. The remaining Analog stations now will convert to digital or go off the air.
Old 25-Feb-2012, 6:20 PM   #16
Electron

The folks at saveandreplay specialize in OTA and have what ever you need for reception. Go to the store and check it out. Print out this information and take it to the store with you.