TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Sep-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
JCortez

No NBC and weak FOX

I recently installed a CM2020 antenna outdoors at 16 ft. and a 7777 preamp. Split to three TVs. I am 35 miles from transmitters at anywhere from 45 degrees to 51 degrees by compass. I cannot receive NBC (WFLA) nor can I receive FOX (WTVT) good enough to prevent pixelation and dropout on all three TVs.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df93130823e04
JCortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Simple, effective DTV reception solutions

I would remove the 7777 amplifier. Chances are the gain is too much for the strong signals in your area. Try bypassing both the amplifier and power supply to see if your reception improves.

No pre-amplifier should be needed, but you could use a Channel Master 3413 distribution amplifier to feed your three sets.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2012, 1:18 PM   #3
JCortez

Thanks. I had the preamp on one TV only and got no signal because of the excessive gain, then I split the signal to three TVs. If channel 8 is not coming in now and 13 is weak, will removing the preamp and going to a distribution amplifier bring in these channels? The other channels come in fine.
Old 24-Sep-2012, 1:20 PM   #4
No static at all

In addition to Signals Unlimiteds suggestions I have a few questions;

Is the antenna close to any metal like a chimney cap?
Is the FM trap engaged on the 7777 preamp?
Are you receiving PBS (WEDU-3.1)?
Have you tried connecting the antenna directly to just 1 TV with no amplifier or splits?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2012, 1:42 PM   #5
JCortez

I had the antenna hooked up to one TV without the preamp, but did not think the reception was very good. That is why I got the preamp. I will have to revisit removing the preamp and start this process of elimination again. I am learning as I go. WEDU 3.1 is very weak with the preamp and splitter. No metal in vicinity, besides the mast.
Old 24-Sep-2012, 1:49 PM   #6
No static at all

How about the FM trap? Do you know if it is engaged? All of your problem channels are VHF & you've got a strong FM signal in town, so it may make a difference.
Old 24-Sep-2012, 3:05 PM   #7
signals unlimited

Yes, FM is most likley your remaining issue. I think that with the 7777 in your trap was on but you were overloading. With the 7777 out, overloading was out and FM in.

With the 7777 out and the 3413 in, add a FM trap at the antenna.

This should restore all of your channels.
Old 24-Sep-2012, 5:13 PM   #8
teleview

Is the antenna mounted above the roof in such a manner that the roof is not restricting or blocking reception??

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of , reducing , reflecting , blocking , Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install the CM2020 at a location that has least amount or no amount of obstructions of any type or kind of the directions of reception.

At your location that is , north , north east , south east.

Aim the CM2020 at about 85 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The Tv transmissions a Very Strong at your location.

The following is Test of reception.

Remove ALL parts of the preamplifier , the outside preamp , the inside power supply and power injector.

Install a New matching transformer (balun) to the antenna.

Connect New a Coax to the matching transformer and run the New Coax through a open door or window , ->direct to the Tv<- , no splitters , no couplers , no nothing.

Antenna -> matching transformer -> coax -> Tv.

Scan for the digital broadcast Tv stations channels.

What is reception like Now??

Last edited by teleview; 30-Sep-2012 at 3:17 AM.
Old 24-Sep-2012, 8:22 PM   #9
JCortez

I have removed the preamp and attached the antenna to just one TV and do not get 8 or 13 and 10 is iffy. The preamp was new and was left in the factory setting, so I assume the FM trap was "IN". If I switch that to "OUT", would that make a difference? One other note that I did not mention: all the TVs are probably at least 50 ft. from the antenna. There are two splitters--one on the incoming signal going to one TV and to another splitter which takes care of the other two TVs. I also cannot find a 3413 model distribution amp. They go from 3412 to 3414.
Old 25-Sep-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
No static at all

The "IN" setting of the FM trap is correct.

Have you ever tried moving the antenna to a different location? VHF is more prone to multipath (signal reflections) than UHF. An amplifier won't help that much if the signal quality is poor to begin with.
Old 25-Sep-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
JCortez

The antenna is rather permanent where it is. The mast is on a wood block on a concrete slab at grade and attached to a partition wall built for this purpose. Both grounds are attached. I could possibly raise it a few feet, and probably will, but not relocate. It is where the cable comes in from Brighthouse and is distributed. I think I will canvas the neighborhood looking for antennas and see what others might be doing. This is certainly more trouble than I anticipated. I appreciate all the help I am getting and the time you folks have spent on my problem. I hope I can report some success shortly.

Thanks
Old 25-Sep-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
signals unlimited

I have seen FM so strong that it got by the trap in the amp. Try a trap and the lower gain amplifier with a built in trap.
Old 26-Sep-2012, 1:04 AM   #13
JCortez

Yes, that is what I will try; an FM trap and a lower gain amplifier with trap. Do you have a favorite FM trap?

Thanks.
Old 26-Sep-2012, 2:19 AM   #14
No static at all

I'm thinking it's more of a signal quality issue at this point. The VHF section of the Channel Master antenna is just not that good when it comes to rejecting multipath. The specs indicate a rather wide VHF beam width which is not good unless a clean, reflection free signal is seen at the antenna. There is no reason why you shouldn't be getting the desired VHF channels with one set connected directly to a proper antenna.

If I were in your shoes, I would also consider the Antennacraft HBU 33 from Radio Shack as a possible solution. If it doesn't help, you can always return it for a full refund.
Old 26-Sep-2012, 1:09 PM   #15
signals unlimited

Simple, effective DTV reception solutioins

I use a CZFM-88. Not sure of the manufacture. If you want, I can ship you one to try. Just contact me thru my site. www.tripleplayantenna.com.
Old 26-Sep-2012, 6:47 PM   #16
teleview

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

Turn the antenna more toward 48 degree magnetic compass direction.