TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2016, 2:35 AM   #1
LBrand

I want ONE more VHF channel. Can I get it?

TV Fool Reception report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134496b0b880d

We cut the cord back in 2007 and aren’t really big TV watchers anyway, but I still miss Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune. That alone was never enough to push me to do something, but this year the Super Bowl is on the same channel as the aforementioned game shows. The channel I’m hoping to pull in is WOIO CBS, broadcasting on VHF 10. OK, so maybe two channels - It would be a great bonus to pull in WJW Fox better as well, which is broadcasting on VHF 8 - it comes in sometimes in the winter when no leaves are on the trees.

So here’s what we currently have, on a chimney-mounted mast (photo attached):
Antennas Direct C4 ClearStream4 Outdoor Digital HD TV Antenna (C4)
RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier (which has the option for separate UHF/VHF antenna input - currently connected via the combined input)

And, just inside the house, mounted in the basement*:
Channel Master CM 3414 Distribution Amplifier (CM3414)

*All of the existing cable runs were already coming in from this lower corner of the house (from cable TV, and prior to that, DirectTV), so we stuck with it. It meant more cable though, thus the distribution amp. We get 44 channels on the upstairs TV (the furthest run), though, so I can’t complain.

I don’t have a large budget for this particular endeavor - would this work? http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2475 Is there a different antenna or add-on that you’d recommend to better pull in the VHF channels? Or is this a lost cause, and I should just let it go?

Also, how far apart do the antennas have to be? Would it be reasonable to try leaving the existing preamp and antenna where they are and install the VHF antenna below the preamp? It’d be the easiest, and will keep the antennas apart, but won’t give me as much height.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer, as well as explanation of how this all works - I see the report, and it looks like I should be able to receive the channel, but don't, so I'd love to understand why/how to fix. I really appreciate the way you folks share your wisdom!

Lindsay

Last edited by LBrand; 5-Jan-2016 at 2:38 AM. Reason: forgot photo
LBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

We made it easy: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...tenna-Kit.html

You can either use the integrated diplexer in the module with the amp set to "combine" or you can use the amp in the "separate" mode and cap off the UHF input of the module with a terminator and feed the C4 into the amp's UHF port.

I'd recommend extending your existing mount by 2' and attaching the VHF kit to the top of the extension.

I'd also strongly recommend that, while you're up there, you install a strain relief on the coax from the C4's combiner assembly to prevent breakage of the circuit board inside the combiner. In the event it should fail, contact customer service for a free replacement. The new ones won't break very easily.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2016, 1:09 PM   #3
Tower Guy

The antenna from MCM should do the job.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote