TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jul-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
bluefull

Cancelled Dish!

I'm going OTA only. I have a an SiliconDust HomeRun Dual on its way.

Can someone please advise on a good rooftop antenna for the the following TVFool report:

Looks like I can get most channels pointing North-West. There is a channel I'd really like to be able to pull in, Channel 21, which is pointing East though, well in the other direction. I like the CreateTV channel, lots of how-to, DIY and cooking programs. Would I be able to pull 21 somehow?

Last edited by bluefull; 16-Jul-2012 at 12:06 AM.
bluefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 4:54 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'm a fan of Create Channel also. Order a second HDHR. use it to terminate a second antenna aimed at CH-21. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

As far as what type of antenna to suggest, are you going to be aiming into nearby buildings or trees?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2012, 6:38 PM   #3
bluefull

I apologize for not responding sooner!

Thank you for your reply. I just packed up the Dish receiver today and also received my HomeRun Dual. On my three story building, there is an antenna on the roof turns out. A little beat up, looks something like this.

Using a compass I pointed the back of the antenna towards 76 degrees True North, where Channel 21 is on the TVFool Report. No buildings in the way though the tips of a two of lone trees are at about the same height about five street blocks away and in that direction. Unfortunately the HomeRun Dual isn't able to pull in Channel 21. I really love the channel and would like to be able to pull it in. A new antenna in order? Recommendation?
Old 22-Jul-2012, 7:09 PM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The front of a antenna is aimed at the Tv stations.

Aim the antenna at about 310 degree magnetic compass.

Also the antenna has been exposed to the weather for a long time. If you intended to try and use the beat up antenna.

Replace the matching transformer (balun) with a NEW matching transformer (balun).

Replace the coax with NEW RG-6 coax.

Check all other coax connections and hardware.

If you will like to bypass the issues that will be with the old beat up equipment.

Then install a Winegard HD7000R antenna aimed at about 310 degree magnetic compass.

Also replace the old coax with NEW RG-6 coax and coax coupling hardware like ground blocks and splitters and etc.

And speaking of splitters , How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by teleview; 22-Jul-2012 at 7:50 PM.
Old 22-Jul-2012, 7:32 PM   #5
teleview

Tv Reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.
Old 22-Jul-2012, 7:49 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

How many Tv's did you say are/will be connected??

The HD7000R antenna is not a very directional antenna , the antenna does receive the best at the front of the antenna , however will also receive at angles to the Tv antenna.

With the HD7000R aimed at about 310 degree magnetic compass that will put WLIW-DT 21 PBS , at about 89 degree magnetic compass , reception angle to the HD7000R.
I am thinking that WLIW will be received Ok.
Old 22-Jul-2012, 8:29 PM   #7
bluefull

Thank you teleview for your advice.

I used that very site to make sure which direction to point the antenna: http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

By beat up I mean a few of the metal elements (wider ones, back of the 'All Band UHF-VHF-FM' antenna) have broken off. As is though, it seems to be more robust than the HD7000R. It has 8 pairs of the wide elements, 10 elements on the 'V-part' and 13 elements at the front.

All the major channels come in fine (310 Magnetic), even with the antenna pointing towards Channel 21 (89 magnetic). I just would like to be able to pull in that Channel, 21, especially.

Would I require a stronger antenna than the HD7000R? Channel 21 is 25 miles away and in the yellow band of the TVFool Report. The antenna is shared by the building, each with a single TV in their households. I have only one TV I will be using.

Old 23-Jul-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

The Tv transmissions are VERY STRONG , As In --> VERY STRONG , at your location.

Does the antenna you have now have Any Type or Kind of amplifier , If so remove ALL parts and pieces of the amplifier.

The Tv transmissions are So Strong that a amplifier will be over loaded and Be The Cause bad reception or no reception.

The transmissions are SO Strong that I am recommending a much smaller All band antenna , the HD7000R.

Your location has easy to receive Tv stations channels in All 3 Tv bands.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 .

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Hense the All band HD7000R antenna.

And are you saying that WLIW-DT Real channel 21 , Virtual channel (21.1) , PBS Is Not received with the antenna you have now even with the antenna aimed at WLIW at about 89 degree magnetic compass .
The signal strength of WLIW is , 29.6 NM (dB) , and that is not a weak signal.

I am doing my best to have reception with one antenna.

If one were to add a second antenna that the purpose of the antenna is to receive WLIW , then install a Winegard HD9022P UHF antenna.

The second antenna can not be combined with the other antenna no matter if the other antenna is the antenna that is in place now or the HD7000R.

The HD9022P antenna will have a separate coax.

http://www.solidsignal.com ,http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 1:04 AM   #9
teleview

Tv Reception.

Also it is a good idea to not use any of satellite hardware such , as diplexers , splitters , power supplies , and etc.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 4:26 AM   #10
bluefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
The Tv transmissions are VERY STRONG , As In --> VERY STRONG , at your location.

Does the antenna you have now have Any Type or Kind of amplifier , If so remove ALL parts and pieces of the amplifier.
There is no amplifier being used and each household has a separate balun connected to the antenna with no splitters being used. Balun to coax to my SiliconDust HomeRun Dual.

Quote:
And are you saying that WLIW-DT Real channel 21 , Virtual channel (21.1) , PBS Is Not received with the antenna you have now even with the antenna aimed at WLIW at about 89 degree magnetic compass .
The signal strength of WLIW is , 29.6 NM (dB) , and that is not a weak signal.
Exactly, WLIW-DT, Channel 21 is not being received with the antenna aimed at 89 degrees magnetic compass it seems. Does this likely mean the antenna needs replacement?

Quote:
I am doing my best to have reception with one antenna.

If one were to add a second antenna that the purpose of the antenna is to receive WLIW , then install a Winegard HD9022P UHF antenna.

The second antenna can not be combined with the other antenna no matter if the other antenna is the antenna that is in place now or the HD7000R.

The HD9022P antenna will have a separate coax.

http://www.solidsignal.com ,http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.
I was hoping to stick with one antenna seeing as the signals are very strong even when I'm aiming at 21. Would the HD7000R be a good replacement which I can aim towards 21 (89 degrees magnetic north) and still get the bulk of the very strong signals (310 degrees magnetic north)? No problem connecting three baluns to each household via separate runs of coax to it?

I could add a separate antenna for 21 but then I'd have to buy another HD HomeRun Dual as well.

Thank you for the other suggestions and links, going to link them all up.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 4:49 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Do you have the HDHomeRun with two F connectors? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...HDHR_Rear.jpeg

Or the single input HDHR3-US? http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/

Are you familiar with the "HDHomeRunConfig (GUI)" aka: "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" ? (on my XP box)

If so, are you seeing any indication of Signal or Symbol Quality greater than 0% when tuned to CH-21?

Here's a screen shot of it running on my 'Desktop':
Attached Images
File Type: png HDHomeRun Config (GUI) screen shot.png (18.6 KB, 590 views)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Jul-2012 at 4:54 AM. Reason: Which HDHR model?
Old 23-Jul-2012, 7:22 AM   #12
teleview

Tv Reception.

A way - Prove - reception or no reception is to connect the antenna and coax Directly to a Tv with a Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner.

By pass All of the HD Homerun and computer.

You say that there are - multipul baluns - connected to the antenna terminals and multipul coaxes go to Tv locations??

Are the other - households - receiving WLIW??

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 7:24 AM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 7:54 PM   #13
bluefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Or the single input HDHR3-US? http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/

Are you familiar with the "HDHomeRunConfig (GUI)" aka: "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" ? (on my XP box)

If so, are you seeing any indication of Signal or Symbol Quality greater than 0% when tuned to CH-21?
I have the single input version. I took a screen shot and the Signal Strength oscillates between 60-70% and the Signal & Symbol Quality remain at 0%:

I'm guessing this is not so good.

Last edited by bluefull; 23-Jul-2012 at 7:57 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 7:58 PM   #14
bluefull

Quote:
A way - Prove - reception or no reception is to connect the antenna and coax Directly to a Tv with a Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner.

By pass All of the HD Homerun and computer.

You say that there are - multipul baluns - connected to the antenna terminals and multipul coaxes go to Tv locations??

Are the other - households - receiving WLIW??
I use to own a Samsung DTBH260F HDTV Set-Top Box. My TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

When I did have my Samsung connected, I use to be able to pull in Channel 21 and sub-channel 21.2 which is the CreateTV channel. However, it was choppy and I could never watch a program straight through without drop-outs occurring.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 8:47 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

IMPORTANT QUESTION: When aiming at WLIW, real CH-21, are there buildings, air conditioners or trees in the path?

From what you have shown us, I'm confident your HDHR is a valuable diagnostic tool, which you know how to use. I'm not as inclined to ask you to use another tuner to test. I have yet to find a better signal meter in a consumer grade TV, STB or competing network attached tuner.

IMPORTANT POINT: To focus on Teleview's question, only one balun (matching transformer) should be connected to the antenna terminals. Connecting multiple baluns to the antenna will result in severe impedance mismatch and signal reflections in the coax, all of which reduce signal strength and quality.

To feed three separate households you should use a balanced 3-way splitter if the cable runs are roughly equal in length. If one of the cable runs is significantly longer, use a typical 3-way splitter which has low loss on one of the three ports, which would be used to feed the longest coax run. If you're not sure which splitter type is best, tell us how long the coax runs are, and, how many TV's are in each household (ooops, I see you've already indicated 1 TV per household... Thanks).

The many strong signals present, argue against using an amplifier. But each household may opt to use a DA (distribution amplifier) if adding many sets.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Jul-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: DA criticism
Old 23-Jul-2012, 9:04 PM   #16
bluefull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
To focus on Teleview's question, only one balun (matching transformer) should be connected to the antenna terminals.

To feed three separate households you should use a balanced 3-way splitter if the cable runs are roughly equal in length. If one of the cable runs is significantly longer, use a typical 3-way splitter which has low loss on one of the three ports, which would be used to feed the longest coax run.
Ah, so only one balun should be connected to the antenna. How far from the balun can or should the splitter be? How to waterproof the coax connections? I know for the balun there are weather boots/sleeves.

The cable runs are on three separate floors so my run would probably be the longest (1st floor of a 3-story building). I would connect my coax to the 'power pass' port then.

I was considering just buying a separate, smaller antenna just for myself and attach it to the same mast but just underneath the larger antenna. Specifically the Winegard HD7694P that teleview mentioned.

Last edited by bluefull; 23-Jul-2012 at 9:08 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 9:31 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

The splitter can be mounted were it's convenient. At the antenna or on the third floor, with 'drops' heading down to the lower floors... What's convenient in you lay out?

The Ideal brand http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051 splitter looks like the best option for you. Connect you long run of cable to the 4 dB loss port.

I prefer the HD7000 or it's big brother and sister the HD7010 or 7015. The HD7694P is a great antenna but it lacks support of real CH-2 through 6.

Depending on the obstructions looking toward WLIW, you may need a large UHF only antenna dedicated to that signal... that would call for a second HDHR.

Old 23-Jul-2012, 9:47 PM   #18
teleview

Tv Reception.

My posts recommend the HD7000R antenna not the HD7694P antenna.

Here are High Quality splitters.

http://www.hollandelectronics.com , also available at , http://www.solidsignal.com.

HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Who knows what other devices are connected to the other coaxes through out the building.

The devices might be putting AC or DC power in to the coax system.

The holland splitters will prevent power back feeding.

Another way to do it is use a Non power passing splitter.

Many people think that the way to get better reception on a cobbled together multipul outlet coax system is to use amplifiers and etc.

This makes the problems worse , so people think , get a more powerful amplifier , and the problems get worse and then the people add filters and signal helpers and connect another antenna to the coax system inside their apartment , etc. , etc , etc .

The best and correct way is correct system problems.

So why am I providing all this information and more??

These key words that bluefull said , I am thinking of getting a small antenna and running a coax down just for my self.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

Sealing connections is (IMO) best done using Coax-Seal or Scotch 2228. They are self vulcanizing rubber tape products that are specifically designed for permanent weather proofing. Amazon is a source, Home Depot stocks the Scotch 2228 in the electrical department alongside ordinary electrical tape.

I seal with 2228 and then over-wrap for dirt and UV protection using a good grade of common electrical tape. Electrical tape alone will not seal permanently.

You can also use weather tight electrical junction boxes if you like, but the cost and convenience factors favor the sealing tape solution.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
teleview

Tv Reception.

Many people do not know what a DA is and will show up at the County Court House looking for the DA.

And when they find out what a DA is they will most likely by the one with Highest Gain.

The scotch self vulcanizing live rubber tape works so well and seals so well that only way get it off of what it is applied to is , cut it off.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 10:41 PM.