TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jun-2010, 9:13 PM   #21
tntsmith

Smile

OK, got the first post about the test right before running out the door to the camp site. Found a basic non amplified antenna at the local ACE (not much for choice of where to shop) it did have the multiposition function. Had a looooong extension cord and took everything to the clearing. I hadn't read the post about putting it on the vehicle so just had it sitting close to the ground. No luck. Programming took longer and seemed to stay on certain channels longer but after programming finished there was still no signal. Our local Walmart has the Philips SDV5119/27 that you suggested and I can pick that up and try again this coming weekend. Hope all had a great weekend. Weather was great!
tntsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

I can not tell you to do ever last letter of the alphabet , YOU will need to think about what You are doing , You will need to read and put together information in Your mind. . I know it is hard for those that have never thought about any thing their life and do not give me some story about , I have only baked bread all my life. . You have eyes , and when You drive around You see Tv antennas And Other Antennas on roof tops and other places up high , You have a mind , You can understand that height is the reason , the more height the better the reception. . You are responsible for You. . So this is what You and Your buddy do net , dig a hole 6 foot deep , You get in and Your buddy covers You up with dirt. . . I walk around shaking my head , and this is what I say , the humans of this time period on this planet are Dumber Then A Box Of Rocks. . Am I being funny now?
Old 21-Jun-2010, 1:06 PM   #23
tntsmith

Smile

Teleview,
The questions is not whether I think you are being funny, it is whether the people of this forum appreciate your degradation of the question askers, creating a hostile environment.

Dave Loudin posted:

“Teleview,
Please remember that these are people not familiar with RF for the most part, and they do not know what they need to tell. It's not a grand conspiracy to withhold truth. Your tone as it is written borders on embarrassing the person seeking help, and that will chase people away. Ultimately, this should be an educational experience. I know I keep learning all the time.”
Old 22-Jun-2010, 3:17 PM   #24
Dave Loudin

tntsmith,
I recreated your report via the "Start MAPS" option and experimented with varying antenna height and location. This is the report for 70 (!) feet, where the Madison stations finally start to come in. Between distance and terrain, you're options are limited

I think you're looking realistically at three scenarios:

1) Get an antenna like the Antennas Direct DB 2 or a Channel Master 4220 for mounting on the camper to get the two low-power stations

2) Get a high-VHF antenna like an Antennacraft Y10-7-13 or a Winegard YA-1713 and mount it between 10 and 20 feet. Be able to aim at 3 or 315 degrees for ABC/NBC/CBS

3) Go nuts with a huge tower and a $118 Winegard HD 7698 (so you could get fox) or a UHF-only Antennas Direct XG91 for half that (for all the others).

The antennas in options 1 and 2 are about $40. Frankly, I like going for the VHF stations (option 2), as they will peneterate the trees much easier.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2010, 7:23 PM   #25
tntsmith

Dave,

Thank you for all the time you put into recreating our report and offering options of antennas to use. We appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping us with our reception issue.
Old 17-Aug-2012, 5:16 PM   #26
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsmith View Post
We are looking to receive at least one local channel while camping in a remote location in Wisconsin. We have a travel trailer with a Delta antenna on the roof. It has a power plus booster amplifier. We tried the reception at our house and received many channels with great reception. Tried reception at the camp site and it appears to find a few channels but when scanning is done it says "no Signal". We are guessing we need a different antenna but we aren't sure what kind.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe73937d3d89
Have you checked all the connections going to and from the antenna?
If so you may need a higher gain antenna for where you camp, also, if you are camping in a deep valley it may be impossible to get any reception at all.

I've used a powered 12volt omnidirectional antenna on both our TT and our boat. So far so good, we've only had one place that we couldn't get more than a handful of stations. But, when we're camping we aren't really there to watch TV except for the news/weather. As long as those come in, everything is cherry .

Last edited by Kyle; 17-Aug-2012 at 5:59 PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote