TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Apr-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
mrpep

How do rate this antenna?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antennas...&skuId=9151687

Is it decent? I plan to get rid of cable and get free hd with this and use netflix for my movies. Do you guys recommend it? I can get it for 100.00 free shipping from amazon just used teh best buy link. I live in bensenville right by ohare airport so not sure where to point it. I guess first I will figure out what antenna to get then decide on position. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Antennas Direct product line has an excellent reputation.

Without a TV Fool Report, I have no way to know if the ClearStream 4 is appropriate for your needs.

Most folks would not commute to work in a 10 Yd. Dump truck, nor would most folks use a small high-mileage compact car to haul large boulders. The type antenna you choose needs to be based on your conditions which include the signal frequencies and strength available at your location.

Follow the instructions here and here to generate a TV Fool Report. Post the link and we will be able to help you, rather than simply guess.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Is it decent?
Do you guys recommend it?
I live in bensenville right by ohare airport so not sure where to point it.
Yes, but it's a UHF only antenna.
Sometimes, only if there are no VHF channels.
It's the wrong antenna for you. WBBM is on VHF.

Look at the HD 7694P or HBU-33 instead.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you do this --> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 like the other questions askers do then you will be helped more. It is a UHF antenna and long distance Tv stations will not be received very well in the VHF bands. Here are the Tv bands of channels VHF Low 2 thru 6 , VHF High 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69. Not all Tv channels are in the UHF only. And the Tv channels Are Not concetutive from one band of channels to an other , there are Wide Gaps between the different Tv bands . http://www.hdtvprimer.com/Antennas/TVfrequencies.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
mrpep

didnt post , trying again - see attachment

I am now thinking that this maybe a better choice
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...2738357&sr=8-1

This one has vhf and is cheaper. Do I need something this strong or can I use something smaller and save more money.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (69.7 KB, 871 views)

Last edited by mrpep; 13-Apr-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
No static at all

Save your money. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get excellent reception. I suggest either this antenna or this one. If more than 2 or 3 sets will be connected this is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by No static at all; 14-Apr-2011 at 12:34 AM.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

A non-amplified set of rabbit ears will work.

The HD7964P and HBU-33 are both excellent, premium solution options.

An RCA ANT-751 is plenty of antenna.

The C5 is also an excellent product, but not a UHF design. With the signal levels at your location, it would likely work, but is not the best choice.

The first two suggestions, can recover enough signal to insure excellent signal levels after splitting the signal to as many as eight sets. The RCA can drive at least four.

Regardless of antenna choice, aim at about 110° per your compass.

Looks like NSAA and I are thinking similar thoughts.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Apr-2011 at 1:54 AM.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 1:43 AM   #8
mrpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post

The C5 is also an excellent product, but not a UHF design. With the signal levels at your location, it would likely work, but is not the best choice.

The first two suggestions, can recover enough signal to insure excellent signal levels after splitting the signal to as many as eight sets. The RCA can drive at least four.

Looks like NSAA and I are think similar thoughts.

Can I use the HD7964P in the attic? I kinda would rather cause I dont have to go on teh roof and I am not that far from my signal which I believe is the sears tower so attic antenna might get me all my stations. What do you think?
Old 14-Apr-2011, 1:51 AM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Can I use the HD7964P in the attic? What do you think?
The only problem is that the 7694 is nearly impossible to fold back up without damage, so if the attic doesn't work your may be SOL. Attic reception is hard to predict, even with decent signal strengths.

Last edited by No static at all; 14-Apr-2011 at 1:53 AM.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 2:11 AM   #10
mrpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
The only problem is that the 7694 is nearly impossible to fold back up without damage, so if the attic doesn't work your may be SOL. Attic reception is hard to predict, even with decent signal strengths.
Because I am close to most broadcasting areas wont an attic antenna suffice? Any recommendations? How about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-MS-20...2743249&sr=1-2
Old 14-Apr-2011, 2:47 AM   #11
John Candle

So now we know , with the radar plot , You are in a High Signal Strength Area with many LOS Line Of Sight Tv stations , and lucky you , you have 'way to many' Tv stations to receive with the main digital channels and sub digital channels. Yes the Winegard Hd7694P antenna will receive real fine and will provide plenty of signal power to the Tv's. You will not need a antenna amplifier.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 2:55 AM   #12
mrpep

good news but since the strength is good in my area can I get away with an attic antenna without an amplifier? If so any recommendations?
Old 14-Apr-2011, 3:59 AM   #13
John Candle

We have answered your last questions already. And the Only way to find out about how well the HD7694P antenna will work in the attic is to put it in the attic and see what happens. Do Not use a amplifier. The strong signals at your location are very strong and a amplifier will cause problems with reception from over loading.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 1:04 PM   #14
No static at all

Quote:
Because I am close to most broadcasting areas wont an attic antenna suffice? Any recommendations? How about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-MS-20...2743249&sr=1-2
An attic antenna may very well work. Because signals reflections that can occur with varying degrees in an attic environment, some stations may pixelate. The only way to know for sure is to try it. Just wanted to make sure you would be able to get the antenna back out of the attic in case reception isn't satisfactory. IMO, the HBU-33 would probably be the best bet since it folds back up easily. The HBU-22 or ANT-751 may work, but might not have enough juice to power additional sets.

The signals levels at my location are even stronger, but an attic antenna didn't work well because of the signal reflections.
Old 15-Apr-2011, 1:06 AM   #15
mrpep

http://www.frys.com/product/5820193?...:MAIN_RSLT_PG\
This is what I bought. I am going to strap it to the chimney but my concern is that it is not going to aim directly at the tower. it will be off approx 20 degrees. Will this be ok? Or does it have to be directly on?
Old 15-Apr-2011, 1:44 AM   #16
GroundUrMast

The CM-4228HD is a deep fringe UHF only antenna. It's relatively sensitive to aiming.

Is there a reason you choose to dismiss the advise you solicited?

If you're stuck with the antenna, it will likely offer a long list of programing choices. You could have spent less money and got more though. Antennacraft offers the HBU33 for $57.95 on their website. The HBU22 is $37.99. An RCA ANT-121 is $12.99 at Amazon.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Apr-2011 at 1:58 AM.
Old 15-Apr-2011, 2:05 AM   #17
mrpep

Quote:
The CM-4228HD is a deep fringe UHF only antenna. It's relatively sensitive to aiming.

If you're stuck with the antenna, it will likely offer a long list of programing choices. You could have spent less money and got more though. Antennacraft offers the HBU33 for $57.95 on their website. The HBU22 is $37.99. An RCA ANT-121 is $12.99 at Amazon.
the jackass told me that it was vhf and uhf! Damn, I will take it back. I wish I knew this before cause the store is far. Anyway, I wanted to buy from frys cause I can take it back if I don't like it. Is there something in there that you guys can recommend?
http://www.frys.com/
Old 15-Apr-2011, 2:42 AM   #18
mrpep

Quote:

hang on, both the hbu22 and the hbu33 start at channel 7 and up just like the cm-4228hd! These are virtually the same. Check the facts , the only thing that may not be good is the directional aspect. Does it have to be right on like a dish? Or is in that direction good enough?
Old 15-Apr-2011, 3:17 AM   #19
mrpep

Quote:

The first two suggestions, can recover enough signal to insure excellent signal levels after splitting the signal to as many as eight sets. The RCA can drive at least four. .

Looks like NSAA and I are thinking similar thoughts.
110 is east according to the compass on my phone which is perfect and easy. I wont need a mast I can just strap it to my chimney.Should I just aim at the sears tower? Thats where the antennas are and I can see it clearly so aiming is easy

Last edited by mrpep; 15-Apr-2011 at 3:20 AM.
Old 15-Apr-2011, 5:38 AM   #20
GroundUrMast

Here is Channel Masters product description:

CM 4228HD Product Description

Frys product description does not match the manufactures information. Channel Master claims only UHF channel coverage. I'm sorry that you have ill informed sales people leading you down the wrong path.

The CM4228 and similar antennas are sensitive to aim, but not nearly as critical as a parabolic dish used for satellite service.

NSAA's suggestion of the HBU33 in your attic strikes me as the best option for you. If you have problems with reception in your attic, the HBU33 is going to serve well if you move it to the roof. You can purchase through Radio Shack, but they tack on a huge markup. I would have the confidence to buy direct from the Antennacraft web site even if they prohibit returns... But I can't make that choice for you.

I presume that you get a significant snow load on your roof at times. If so, that will likely be the most difficult condition for an attic mounted antenna in terms of signal attenuation. My preference would lean heavily toward a tripod or chimney mount... But again it's your choice, not mine.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Apr-2011 at 6:12 AM.