TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Mar-2011, 8:13 PM   #21
Fealthas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
For your education, click on one of the NO stations in the table of your TVFool report. You will see that you are beyond the horizon for these stations, so you are relying on signals that have been scattered twice by ground reflections or are unusually bent back to earth by tropospheric propagation events. That's why GUM is telling you that no matter what you do, reliability will be a huge problem.
Great information from both of you. Thanks!!!

I got a message back from Wineguard, and they are suggesting the FreeVision FV-HD30 antenna. If I am going to throw out the concept of grabbing stations from New Orleans, would this be a good choice?
Fealthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
GroundUrMast

The FV-HD30 would be adequate.

Dave's recommendation offers a bit more signal, but also better rejection of multipath interference. I don't consider the HD7964P overkill. If you plan to split the signal to multiple sets, now or later, go with the HD7964P.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2011, 2:08 PM   #23
Fealthas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The FV-HD30 would be adequate.

Dave's recommendation offers a bit more signal, but also better rejection of multipath interference. I don't consider the HD7964P overkill. If you plan to split the signal to multiple sets, now or later, go with the HD7964P.
Based upon the feedback and assistance I received, I have ordered the Winegard HD 7694p. It should arrive tomorrow, and I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your prompt and pertinent information and suggestions.
Old 19-Mar-2011, 5:36 PM   #24
Fealthas

Antenna arrived today. Easy to lock the elements into place. One little issue with the connectors inside the cartridge housing. One of them were bent at a 90 degree angle. Carefully straightened the bent connector. Pointed to where I think WSW is from my house. (No I stupidly do NOT have a compass.) All major networks coming in clear. TiVo signal strength has them all showing green in the 72-85 signal strength range.

I am looking for a good but simple explanation for how to properly ground the antenna if anyone has one to share.
Old 19-Mar-2011, 5:45 PM   #25
GroundUrMast

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

I think of the mast ground as step one, the coax ground as step two.

Ideally, the mast ground would connect to the ground rod that is closest to the electrical service.

Ideally, locate the coax ground block close to the same ground rod that is closest to the electrical service.

(You can use the Tivo box signal meter to fine tune your aim.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Mar-2011 at 5:52 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-2011, 4:45 PM   #26
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Homedepot and Lowes have all manner of ground wire and clamps. and coax grounding block.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote