TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jul-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
bluefull

Alright, I've ordered the splitter and a new Channel Master balun transformer and some coax seal tape.

Will report back when everything arrives and is tested.
bluefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 6:31 PM   #22
bluefull

Just wanted to report back. I replaced the three separate baluns with a single Channel Master one and connected a Holland balanced 3-way splitter to it.

After looking at the SiliconDust Config afterwards, Channel 21's Signal and Symbol Quality remained at 0% and the Signal Strength actually dropped to 50%.

I guess that means a splitter with a low loss output would be a good idea but also that I probably need to get a separate UHF directional antenna in order to pull in Channel 21.

But would a separate UHF antenna do anything if the tops of some trees are in the way of Channel 21 and are the ultimate cause of the problem?

It would be a shame because I really only want two channels, PBS and that CreateTV channel. I don't really watch any of the other channels.
Old 5-Aug-2012, 7:52 PM   #23
GroundUrMast

Was the antenna aimed at WLIW?

How dense are the trees? Can you post a photo?

I would point long-boom Yagi at WLIW.
Options in order of preference:
Antennas Direct 91XG
Winegard HD9095P
Antennacraft MXU59
Channel Master CM-3023
Antennas Direct 42XG
Winegard HD9075P
Antennacraft MXU47
Channel Master CM-3022
The longer versions are preferred for their ability to reject multipath and reduce or eliminate the need for a preamplifier.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Aug-2012, 8:38 PM   #24
teleview

Tv Reception.

Is PBS received when a known to be good Digital Tv is connected.

And the silconedust and computer and etc. is not connected??

Barrow a Digital Tv that has a digital tuner.
Old 6-Aug-2012, 2:00 AM   #25
GroundUrMast

If the HDHR is receiving other signals you have it set up correctly. My personal experience is, it's a solid dependable product.

If you want to see WLIW, and you want to use the HDHR as your primary tuner, you'll want to overcome the modest signal level and vegetation induced attenuation. My opinion is, one of the antennas listed in post #23 will easily take care of both issues.

But, teleview is offering a reasonable trouble shooting step.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Aug-2012, 6:30 AM   #26
bluefull

teleview, it would be difficult to borrow a TV but I can get my hands on my old Samsung set top box next week. The one I use to be able to pull Channel 21 with albeit not too well.

The antenna is still aimed at WLIW 21, I've left it that way since the change of direction caused no problems with the very strong VHF signals.

However, in addition to the drop in Signal Strength noted by the SiliconDust Config for Channel 21 post-balun and splitter change, I also noticed that Channel 5 now has occasional hiccups. Channel 5 was previously fine even with the antenna aimed at WLIW 21.

I considering the long-boom yagi if it can get past those trees. I will take a picture and post it. GroundURMast is there one on the list you provided that can be aimed primarily at WLIW 21 (UHF) but will also be able to pull in PBS 13 (VHF) from the other direction since PBS is only 5 miles away and the signal seems strong enough? That way I can save the cost of the additional tuner.

Thank you both for your help in troubleshooting this.