TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Sep-2010, 3:27 AM   #1
mrmagoo12

Antenna help in NJ/NYC

I live in suburban NJ, just 25 miles from NYC. I've been using my 30 year old roof antenna with sporadic success these past 2 years, but lately it seems to be losing more stations. The most consistant channels I get are 7.1 (WABC) and 13.1 (WNET). Fox, WCBS, WNBC reception varies depending on time of day and weather. I guess its time to get a new antenna?? Any suggestions? Thanks very much for any help that is offered. I really don't want to pay for Verizon Fios...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362a9313a67d0

Last edited by mrmagoo12; 19-Sep-2010 at 3:32 AM.
mrmagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2010, 1:29 PM   #2
No static at all

Hello Mr. Magoo,

Since your antenna is 30 years old, it is a good time to replace it. You've got pretty good signal strengths coming from Manhattan, so this small antenna should easily drive 2 or more TV's with ease.

It's a good time to replace the downlead as well. Make sure you purchase RG-6 (not RG-59) for connecting the antenna to the TV(s).
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2010, 1:51 PM   #3
mrmagoo12

Thanks for the quick reply No Static...I guess what gets me is that at one point in time I was able to get just about all the signals from nearby NYC. Then slowly over the past 12-18 months, some have dropped off and others are intermittent.

It looks like your recommendeding a medium range antenna, nothing to large or heavy. Would something like the Antenna Craft HBU22 be comparable to the Wingard 7694 ? Thanks.

Last edited by mrmagoo12; 19-Sep-2010 at 2:06 PM.
Old 19-Sep-2010, 6:53 PM   #4
No static at all

Yes, the HBU22 would probably do the trick, but I like to go one size larger to make up for bad weather, trees, houses or anything else that may cause signal interruptions. I also like the Winegard HD series because they have a weatherproof 75 ohm ready connection.

I would guess that the maturing trees in your area are causing the signal irregularities you are experiencing, especially since it is only affecting the UHF channels.
Old 19-Sep-2010, 9:22 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv Reception

30 years is a long time for a Tv antenna. If the coax wiring is old replace it also . . The Winegard HD antennas are Heavy Duty antennas with a built in connection point for direct connection of RG-6 coax directly to the antenna. The Winegard HD antennas are bang for the buck.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
mrmagoo12

Thanks guys

I like the way you guys think...we certainly have bad weather and plenty of mature trees around here, so I think I'll go with the Winegard. There seems to be plenty on places online to purchase this model, but I'd prefer to buy it at a local store. Any ideas what types of stores , beside Radio Shack, sell antennas these days?
Old 19-Sep-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
No static at all

I'm not sure of any local sellers, but Meijer has a free shipping promotion till Sept 23rd. They also pay return shipping if you need to return the item.
Old 20-Sep-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
mtownsend

There are several retailers that sell TV antennas. Your choice of retailers and their selection of products might vary a bit depending on where you live. In California, we've got Radio Shack, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, Fry's Electronics, Sears, and a few other local hardware stores that carry some of the major brands in TV reception equipment.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote