TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Aug-2011, 4:43 PM   #1
sphen

newbie help on ditching cable..

hi guys! first off - i really appreciate anyones help here as it really looks like a vast resource of knowledge... looks like everyone else is having the same idea as me lately and trying to replace my expensive tv service with other options...

i do not currently have anything in the home and would be looking for an antenna to pick up digital broadcasts. i really only want the basics - CBS, NBC, ABC etc. it looks like many of te broadcasts are either at 33deg of 250deg. I would love to be able to get both NYC and CT but dont know how that would work.

i would like to have an attic antenna as putting something on the roof i think would be unsightly -- i have regular asphalt shingles on the roof - old wood framing. the house is two stories, so the attic is pretty high up. there may be a tree in the way towards the CT stations, but i think its clear heading to NYC.

here is the plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e74d9f373fdad

what would be your best suggestion without getting too crazy (expensive) -- and what should i really expect to get? one other site said i would only get like 4 channels but this one seems to show quite a bit more...

any help would be great! thanks...
sphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Aug-2011, 5:05 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You've described an attic that may be reasonably friendly to a working antenna. If you have a lot of room in the attic, consider the Winegard HD7694P or even the larger variants of the same series. Two factors may work against you. First, the known co-channel interference, and second, the un-known effect of the attic construction. The directivity and good front-to-back ratio of the HD769X antennas will help with the first. Going with an antenna that has higher gain helps with the second.

Aim toward NYC. (250°)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Aug-2011, 7:05 PM   #3
sphen

hey that one doesnt look bad at all -- so you think that antenna would capture from the rear direction too? i may actually look at the larger as i could fit something larger than 6 ft up there... thanks!
Old 17-Aug-2011, 7:42 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I am recommending the HD769X series because it tends not to receive much signal from the rear. In your case there are several stations using the same channel, so there is a possibility for 'co-channel' interference. An antenna with a high 'front-to-back' ratio is able to ignore signals from the rear, which is what you need to reduce the possibility of interference from stations using the same frequency.

Because you said,
Quote:
i really only want the basics - CBS, NBC, ABC etc.
I offered a solution that does that (plus quite a bit extra).

I think you will see several strong signals from the side or rear though.

Old 17-Aug-2011, 7:48 PM   #5
sphen

thank you - i will go with the recco and let you guys know!
Old 13-Sep-2011, 2:02 AM   #6
sphen

just wanted to update on this thread -- finally after weddings, travel etc i have gotten my act together... the antenna suggested above has been GREAT overall... Thank you! it is amazing how much it picks up and how small it is...

only one problem though - as i am starting to pull out my hair trying to move the thing from place to place in the attic and testing -- channels 7 and 8 are troublesome -- currently i get neither of them even though the signal is very strong, and i wonder if they are interfering as channel 8 is so close geographically.

i have tried with both a pre-amp and not and get spotty results. the antenna is pointed at NYC and with the pre-amp i get all the other NYC stations at strong signal and almost all 100% signal quality. without - the NYC stations seem worse and stall.

is there anything i could do to try and block the signal from coming in from the back (8) or some other way to get one of these two to come in? without one of these i wouldnt get ABC...

thank you so much for you help and knowledge!
Old 13-Sep-2011, 2:40 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

When you refer to channel 8 I assume you are speaking of WTNH, real channel 10 (virtual channel 8.1). If your antenna is pointed toward NYC (about 250°) reception of WTNH would be problematic. Real channel 10 would not be a likely source of interference to real channel 7.

Real channel 7 is not usually affected by FM stations, but you have a very strong signal from WEBE-FM, 107.9 MHz on an azimuth of 254° (compass). An FM trap would not hurt, and, they're not expensive or hard to install. Example, Radio Shack Cat# 15-024.

How difficult would it be to test reception with the antenna outside, on the roof?

Old 13-Sep-2011, 2:56 AM   #8
sphen

man you guy are good and quick! with the pre-amp i have Winegard AP-8700 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFZ5EW) - it has a built in fm trap so would that still apply? WEBE108 is absolutely the strongest station in the area so i could see how that could be doing it -- especially since channel 4,5 etc which should be weaker according to the plot come in just fine.. or wait since you mention "real channel" could this be a pure VHF issue??

i was thinking about the next step and going to the roof - just my house is VERY high - at least for me... most of my basement is exposed so its almost like a 3 story house... but that may be the way to go either way...