TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Feb-2012, 2:14 PM   #1
dann

Attic antenna/amp suggestions

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ea3976c715

Digiwave DB-8(ANT-7287) and CM7777 at 25ft. it will be enough?
Thank you!
dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2012, 7:45 PM   #2
phone man

Check your TVfool report for "real" channel numbers. The Digiwave antenna specs indicate it's best at channels 21-69. If you wish to receive lower channels, you'll need a different antenna.

I think you have plenty of signal strength, no preamp should be necessary.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2012, 9:02 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

For reception of the Canada and American Tv stations digital channels. Install a , Antennas Direct C2V Complete , above the roof aimed at about 125 degree magnetic compass. Use a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier. http://www.saveandreplay.com. SaveandReplay has different types of antenna mounts , tripod mounts , eave mounts , chimney mounts. The HDP-269 is a high input preamp that will not over load from the higher strength tv signals. The Cm7777 will likley over load and be the cause of bad tv reception or no tv reception on some channels.

Last edited by Electron; 18-Feb-2012 at 9:05 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2012, 9:18 PM   #4
Electron

The Tv must scan for the , Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes called the 'air channels' because the tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. Also note that Canada and America have a mix of , 'air channels' , Digital and Analog Tv stations/channels in some areas. Do Not scan for cable Tv channels.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 1:16 AM   #5
dann

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
Check your TVfool report for "real" channel numbers. The Digiwave antenna specs indicate it's best at channels 21-69. If you wish to receive lower channels, you'll need a different antenna.

I think you have plenty of signal strength, no preamp should be necessary.
you are right, i miss that point, which antenna do you recommend for me?

tks.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 1:21 AM   #6
dann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
For reception of the Canada and American Tv stations digital channels. Install a , Antennas Direct C2V Complete , above the roof aimed at about 125 degree magnetic compass. Use a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier. http://www.saveandreplay.com. SaveandReplay has different types of antenna mounts , tripod mounts , eave mounts , chimney mounts. The HDP-269 is a high input preamp that will not over load from the higher strength tv signals. The Cm7777 will likley over load and be the cause of bad tv reception or no tv reception on some channels.

Thank you, you think Antennas Direct CPA19 is better than Winegard HDP-269?
Old 19-Feb-2012, 3:40 AM   #7
phone man

The antenna Electron recommends should be fine. It covers all VHF and UHF stations available to you. The other good thing about the C2V is it's wide beam which may allow you to get by with one antenna aimed down the middle as Electron suggests.
I was thinking about an antenna with more gain but then it would also have a narrower beam so the C2V may be a very good single antenna solution. I think your aim will have to favor Burlington though.

You're in a fortunate spot where reception from 81 miles away is possible due to the elevation of the broadcast towers in Vermont. If you haven't already, click on any channel on your TVfool report and it will show you the signal strength and topography between the broadcast tower and your location.
How many TV's will be connected and how far are they from the antenna?
Old 19-Feb-2012, 4:10 AM   #8
phone man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Thank you, you think Antennas Direct CPA19 is better than Winegard HDP-269?
I have no experience with the Winegard preamp. I'm using a CPA-19, recommended by members of this forum for it's resistance to overload. My strongest channel is 36 NM(db) and I have no overload issues.

Your strongest station is 56 NM(db)! You might want to email Steve at Antennas Direct tech support, include a link to your TVfool report and see what he thinks about using a CPA-19 preamp. He could also give you good input about the C2V and your particular reception needs.

Steve was very helpful when I had a problem with my preamp. At his direction I ran a couple quick tests to isolate the problem and they sent out a replacement that day. They do stand behind their products.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 4:45 AM   #9
No static at all

I would lean towards the CPA-19 as the HDP-269 is prone to premature failure from nearby lightning strikes & static buildup.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2012, 4:48 AM   #10
Electron

Since phone man put up a channel master antenna and is receiving digital broadcast Tv and is experminting with DX Tv reception , he has become very interested in broadcast Tv reception. He has a genuine desire to help and is learning more each day. There is a lot to learn and there are many variables of broadcast tv reception. His information is worth a lot more then the dime a dozen opinions that one can find anywhere on the internet.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Feb-2012 at 5:07 AM.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 4:57 AM   #11
Electron

Yes the CPA-19 is a little better it has a slightly better noise figure and slightly more gain , then the HDP-269 , Both will work Ok with your reception situation. It does not look like the CPA-19 is on the saveandreplay web site , so I recommended the HDP-269. I see that the CPA-19 preamp is available at , http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper , ~~ Tech Depot and other web sites listed through canadapost / shopper.

Last edited by Electron; 19-Feb-2012 at 5:14 AM.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 5:16 AM   #12
Electron

No static at all . I will like to see the web site references about the HDP-269.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 5:27 AM   #13
No static at all

There are quite a few posts regarding issues with the HDP-269 on the Canadian Home website. Here is just one as an example.

Unfortunately, I also had one fail after just a few weeks of use.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
dann

Quote:
How many TV's will be connected and how far are they from the antenna?
Two, 25 and 35ft.
Old 19-Feb-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
dann

i sent an email to Steve, thank you so much for your fast response, i will keep you updated.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 1:44 AM   #16
dann

Steve's response about C2V and CPA-19
"It ought to do okay, depending on what stations you're trying to receive. For the Montreal stations, no amplifier would be needed."

about PBS, FOX and ABC(at 81 miles)
"If the propagation modeling at both TVFool and the FCC websites are accurate enough, you've got pretty good odds of it working out for you at least most of the time."

I just ordered the C2V(without amplifier for the moment)
Old 22-Feb-2012, 2:10 AM   #17
phone man

Please report back and give us an update. I'm curious about your 81 mile reception.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 2:15 AM   #18
dann

ok, i will keep you updated
Old 22-Mar-2012, 1:50 AM   #19
dann

Quote:
Please report back and give us an update. I'm curious about your 81 mile reception.
Everything is crystal clear except ABC(no reception)

PBS, FOX, NBC, CBS - perfect

Last edited by dann; 22-Mar-2012 at 1:55 AM.
Old 22-Mar-2012, 3:03 AM   #20
Dave Loudin

Note that the ABC station is the weakest VHF channel you are looking for. The "rabbit ears" part of the C2V is what is sensitive to that channel. Have you tried adjusting just that part of the antenna?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote