TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
mdphilps

Help with WHYY and WPSG in philly

I've recently moved over to the land of free TV. Love it!!

I'm having a problem accessing 2 stations in my area though, and I was wondering if someone can help me out.

Here is my current setup:

Terk HDTVO Amplified HDTV Antenna
50ft of RG6 cable to a PCT VB-8P amplified splitter (only using 1 port right now, plan on using 7 ports once I make the total switchover)
20ft of RG6 to a Tivo Premiere connected to my HDTV

The antenna is located about 25ft AGL on the rear southern corner of my house.

Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c77affcc747579

I am only interested in the channels in Philly (151 degrees ~27 mile).

I get every channel I want except for WHYY 12.1 PBS and WPSG 57.1 CW

When I do a channel scan on the Tivo I get "No Digital Signal" on both 12.1 and 57.1

I tried bypassing the Tivo and went directly to the TV and I still get absolutely no signal on either 12.1 or 57.1

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
mdphilps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2011, 5:33 AM   #2
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

I suggest a Winegard HD7084P all channel Tv antenna connected to the distribution amplifier , no preamp at the antenna. Pointed at 163 magnetic compass , Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.antenna/pointing/pointing.html . . . Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 The advantage of using a large antenna is large antennas gather more signal and are more directional , the more directional the antenna the better the antenna rejects interference to digital tv channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Feb-2011 at 5:16 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2011, 9:28 AM   #3
mdphilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
I suggest a Winegard HD7084P all channel Tv antenna. Pointed at 163 magnetic compass , Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.antenna/pointing/pointing.html . . . Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I did read both of your links (had to google the second one) but I'm still not sure what I need to do to get either of those channels.

In Philly, there is pretty much one spot in Roxborough where all of the TV antennas are. My antenna is pointed directly at that area. I receive every channel from that area except these 2. WPVI, WCAU, WTXF, KYW, WPHL are all fine (55%-95% signal strength). For some reason WHYY and WPSG come up with no signal.....not even 5%-10%.

I just wondering if I doing something wrong or if there is something special about those channels.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 26-Feb-2011, 1:04 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdphilps View Post
Terk HDTVO Amplified HDTV Antenna
50ft of RG6 cable to a PCT VB-8P amplified splitter
Two amplifiers is often problematic. Have you tried eliminating the amplified splitter?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2011, 7:17 PM   #5
mdphilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Two amplifiers is often problematic. Have you tried eliminating the amplified splitter?
Sorry, I should have specified that. I do NOT have the amp that came with the antenna hooked up. It is just that antenna hooked directly to the amplified splitter with a 50ft RG6.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 26-Feb-2011, 7:44 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Sorry, I should have specified that. I do NOT have the amp that came with the antenna hooked up. It is just that antenna hooked directly to the amplified splitter with a 50ft RG6.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
The amp that comes with the antenna is internal to the antenna. The external device is the power inserter. What happens when the internal amplifier is unpowered is unpredictable.

Connect the power inserter to the feedline to the HDTVo, delete the PCT VB-8P and use a passive splitter.
Old 26-Feb-2011, 9:13 PM   #7
mdphilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
The amp that comes with the antenna is internal to the antenna. The external device is the power inserter. What happens when the internal amplifier is unpowered is unpredictable.

Connect the power inserter to the feedline to the HDTVo, delete the PCT VB-8P and use a passive splitter.
Oh...I didn't know that. Thanks!!

Is it OK if I add the power inserter after the 50ft RG6 run?

So now it will be:
Terk HDTVo
50ft RG6
Power Inserter
passive splitter
20ft RG6
tivo premiere
TV

I have to run to work now (I work the night shift).....so I'll try that tomorrow and report back the results.
Old 27-Feb-2011, 5:07 AM   #8
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Yes you can add the power inserter after the 50 foot run of coax. Like this , Antenna-> Coax-> Power inserter. If only one Tv is connected then you do not need a splitter. If 2 Tv's are connected then use a 2 way splitter , If 3 Tv's are connected the use a 3 way splitter , If 4 Tv's are connected then use a 4 way splitter , And so forth . Each time a split takes place the signal strength is reduced. Do not use a 8 way splitter for 1 or 2 Tv's.

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Feb-2011 at 2:24 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Oh...I didn't know that. Thanks!!

Is it OK if I add the power inserter after the 50ft RG6 run?
Yes, the power inserter can be anywhere before the splitter.
Old 28-Feb-2011, 7:55 PM   #10
mdphilps

Thanks John & TG!!

Removing the amplified splitter and adding the power inserter back in did the trick. I now receive both WHYY and WPSG. Not only that, but my signal strength on ALL of my channels went up greatly!! I'm in the 80s and 90s on most channels, and even hit 100% on one channel.

Thanks alot for all of your help!

Now the only question is what to do with the amplified splitter? ebay?
Old 28-Feb-2011, 8:37 PM   #11
Tower Guy

Quote:
Now the only question is what to do with the amplified splitter? ebay?
Craig's List?

Door stop?