TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Sep-2012, 7:15 PM   #21
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if you've proven one tuner to be less capable than the other.

The cost of a matching transformer is quite a bit less than a new TV... I agree with teleview, it's too easy and inexpensive to not try.

The loss of all digital signals with the CPA-19 installed makes me question if there is a splitter in the system that blocks power to the preamp, or is there a problem with the preamp (out-of-box failure... Antennas Direct support has a very good reputation). Also, the preamp should be mounted close to the antenna, a foot or two as the coax runs. If the balun has not been changed because it's too high to reach, were did you mount the preamp?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2012, 7:19 PM   #22
slowboy

I mounted the preamp right where the cable goes in the house. I would say 60ft down from the antenna. You know you may be right on the cable now I think about it. I was undoing a splitter in the attic and the cable was RG6 I believe and outside the cable is RG59. I need to go back and verify. I have though tried running the cable through the window with not much improvement before but not with the amp installed.
slowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2012, 7:56 PM   #23
GroundUrMast

Any loss between the antenna and preamp is loss that the preamp can not overcome. The preamp belongs close to the antenna. The power supply for the preamp needs to be protected from the elements and there should not be any splitters between the power supply and the preamp (unless the splitter is designed to pass power).

While you're installing the preamp correctly, give the antenna a thorough inspection and consider trying a new balun.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2012, 2:32 AM   #24
slowboy

Update*. I went and installed the preamp again today but, I ran rg6 cable through window to eliminate the rg59 in attic. Preamp still installed 60ft from antenna. Had pretty god results this time around. Got everything except NBC and CBS. Those 2 stations I have not been able to get for some reason. I went ahead and lowered antenna for now and plan on replacing matching transformer next and start raising antenna back up. I plan to start at 30ft and hope to be able to get everything. Also I will mount preamp next to antenna now that it is lowered and I am positive it works now. Don't know why NBC and CBS is so hard to get. NBC is just a little lower in power than fox is and I was pulling it in with 87 signal strength.
slowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2012, 3:19 AM   #25
teleview

Replaces existing coax with new coax. Replace the matching transformer with a new outdoor/outside type matching transformer.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Sep-2012 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Deleting spam style content