TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Mar-2011, 9:22 PM   #1
Sarge

Christiana TN antenna recommendation

I've been bouncing around various sites for a few days when I cam upon TV Fool. I've also talked to a few vendors but still unsure what antenna to buy as are they.

This is the link from my inquiry earlier today if it helps.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d174f29acef28

I live in a pretty rural area and had good luck with a Lava (yea, I know) when using an amplifier the whole 4 months it worked until the control box quit working. It picked up about 10-15 channels. I will also be installing this in an attic (second story). Because of the high winds we have numerous times a year, an outside installation probably wouldn't last very long.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks for yor time.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2011, 9:36 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your experience with poor reliability is a fairly common report for the Lava antenna and the other names it's sold under. Sorry to hear you only got 4 months out of it.

Can you fit a very large all channel antenna in your attic, and rotate it?

The Winegard HD8200U, Antennacraft HD1850 or Channel Master CM-3020 all come to mind. If you must attic mount, you are going to need all the performance you can get. The signal loss of wet roofing materials is enough to put all but the top two stations on your report below the level needed for reliable reception.

An alternative may be to roof mount an 8-bay panel antenna and try a VHF antenna such as the Winegard HD5030 in the attic. That would present far less wind load to the weather, and it would offer far greater chance of reliable reception of UHF signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Mar-2011 at 9:52 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Sarge

Thanks for the quick reply. Fitting any of those would be a bit tight and not sure if I could rotate them. I was thinking of something like the HD Stacker which is a bit smaller and I could easily rotate (if it comes with one). However, no idea if that's a reliable antenna. Also, when I checked the HD Stacker, it only received channels 7-51 whereas some of those you mentioned are 2-69.

Last edited by Sarge; 28-Mar-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 29-Mar-2011, 1:44 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I've tossed the 2 - 69 type antennas into the conversation because WTVF is broadcast on channel 5. It is in the strongest group of signals to the NW.

Though there are receivable signals south of you, an attic mounted antenna would be unreliable, particularly in wet weather.

If I were next door, you would likely see an Antennas Direct XG91 on my roof, aimed at 341° compass. You would also see a Winegard HD5030 up there aimed in almost the same direction, just a bit west a few degrees.. That would likely give access to all the stations to the NW. If I was a sports fan and wanted to see games from different markets, the XG91 would be on a rotator.

I realize that you want to keep things smaller, so, what stations would be on your must have list?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Mar-2011 at 1:50 AM.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 1:46 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The Tv antenna scam is full on here in the USA . It is interesting that most people go right for the scam antennas. Flashy ad's and fantastic claims. So that you know , Here are the Real outdoor Tv antennas , Winegard , Channelmaster , Antennacraft , Antennasdirect. I recommend the Winegard HD7084P antenna and a Winegard AP8700 preamp pointed at about 345 magnetic compass. The Winegard HD line of Tv antennas are Heavy Duty Tv antennas and will withstand rough weather for a long time. I recommend Strong and Sturdy Tv mounts such as , tripod roof mount , chimney mounts , Peak Of The Roof Eave mount. . Here are places to buy Real Tv antennas , http://www.3starinc.com , http://solidsignal.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com

Last edited by John Candle; 29-Mar-2011 at 2:00 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2011, 1:49 AM   #6
John Candle

Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . . Here is information about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Old 29-Mar-2011, 2:21 AM   #7
John Candle

The Tv transmissions at your location are to weak for a simple indoor Tv antenna , however so you will know , here is information about simple Non amplified indoor antennas and reasons why a simple indoor antenna will not have a amplifier. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . Here is something you can find interesting , Free Satellite Tv , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265

Last edited by John Candle; 29-Mar-2011 at 5:52 AM.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Sarge

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty skeptical of some of the antenna claims out there. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
My priority is receiving local channels, although it's nice to pick up other areas during football season, but again, not a priority.
I did check out the Winegard 8200, but I think it's too large, so I was thinking of the Winegard 7697P with a rotator and an amplifier. I figure if that (left a lot to be desired) Lava could pick up 10-15 channels from my attic, that the Winegard should do just as well.
We've had two tornados in this area the past three years which is why I want it in the attic. I've seen a few of my neigbors lying in their yard in pieces on more than one occasion.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 4:13 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

JC's recommendation of the HD7084P would have virtually the same turning radius as the HD7697P but would give you a far better chance of receiving the CBS affiliate, WTVF.

The HD769X series antennas are not designed to receive channels 2 through 6.

Old 29-Mar-2011, 4:45 PM   #10
John Candle

Here are the Tv channel bands , VHF Low 2 thru 6 , Vhf High 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/TVfrequencies.html , , You see that the Tv channel bands are separated by Wide Gaps , 88 to 174 , 216 to 470 , The VHF Low channels of 2 thru 6 , 54 Mhz to 88 Mhz use long metal receiving elements. The VHF High channels 7 thru 13 use shorter metal receiving elements , And UHF Channels 14 thru 69 use even shorter metal receiving elements. Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 4-Apr-2011 at 7:47 AM.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 5:20 PM   #11
Sarge

My only concern with going to a 7-69 antenna, if I'm reading things correctly, would be the loss of WTVF which is a low power VHF with a Real channel of 5 and Virtual # of 5.1. That is one of our local stations that comes in quite well, even with a cheap antenna.

I spoke with Winegard who said the HD7697P is 2-69. Not sure if they were correct or not.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 5:54 PM   #12
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
My only concern with going to a 7-69 antenna, if I'm reading things correctly, would be the loss of WTVF which is a low power VHF with a Real channel of 5 and Virtual # of 5.1. That is one of our local stations that comes in quite well, even with a cheap antenna.
WTVF appears to be moving to UHF 25 eventually. No idea of their schedule although they have the construction permit issued by the FCC. If WTVF comes in with a "cheap antenna", you can always keep that antenna for as long as needed and use it for VHF-low only by diplexing it in with an HLSJ.

Quote:
I spoke with Winegard who said the HD7697P is 2-69. Not sure if they were correct or not.
Double YIKES!!!!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2011, 7:08 PM   #13
Sarge

Thanks again. I'm certainly learning a bit more than I anticipated including, different websites have different descriptions of the same product.

The 7084P looks like a good choice and Winegard.com lists the following:
HD7084P (VHF, UHF)
28 VHF Elements, 40 UHF Elements
Mileage: 0 - 60 Miles*
Channels: Low & High VHF, UHF (2 - 69)

So it looks to pick up all the way down to channel 2 which would save the channel 5 that I currently receive.

In my efforts to try and pin dwon the best choice, I also looked at the Channel Master CM 3020 which had the following info:

The Channel Master CM 3020 is an outdoor TV antenna which will allow you to receive UHF, VHF, FM and HD signals. This antenna has a signal range of 100 miles and will pick up available local channels 2 thru 69.
• Reception Range: Channels 2 thru 69 up to 100 miles
• Picks up UHF, VHF, FM and HD
• Antenna Size: 152 x 95 x 22 in
• Superior signal strength in weak signal locations

They're fairly close in size and I could fit either one. Does anyone have any thoughts between the Winegard 7084 and the Channel Master CM3020?
Old 29-Mar-2011, 8:29 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Winegard and Antennacraft are good about publishing technical performance specifications in a format that can be checked with calibrated test equipment in an independent environment. Antennas Direct also offers some similar information though not quite as much detail. Channel Master is the most tight lipped of trusted manufactures and simply offers 'advertising department' grade information.

Example of what I prefer to see: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7084P.pdf

Mileage claims are not a standard / repeatable measurement system. They are sometimes helpful but purposely vague as marketing speak can so often be.

Old 29-Mar-2011, 8:37 PM   #15
John Candle

The Winegard HD7084P is a Heavy Duty antenna with thicker stronger metal receiving elements and thicker stronger plastic parts. And the Winegard has a built in removable/replaceable matching transformer in a weather protected housing. The Channel Master antenna has thinner less strong metal receiving elements and thinner less strong plastic parts. The Channel Master does not have a built in matching transformer in a weather protected housing. The Channel Master matching transformer is connected to the antenna as a separate piece and is exposed to the weather. . Mileage ratings of Tv antennas are a rough estamate and are more of marketing tool then actual hard numbers. The gain of a antenna is more important then mileage.

Last edited by John Candle; 29-Mar-2011 at 8:41 PM.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 8:49 PM   #16
John Candle

http://www.antennasdirect.com , has a Remote Control antenna rotator. Or you can also use a Channel Master CM9521A rotator.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Mar-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 29-Mar-2011, 9:15 PM   #17
Sarge

Thanks for the replies and you have definitely helped. Looks like I'll go with the 7084. Thre is certainly a lot of bad and misleading information out there and having a forum like this along with contributors that know what they're talking about really helps.

Thanks again.