TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Dec-2010, 2:03 AM   #1
Buzzard

NW Atlanta (Acworth) Attic Install

First - great site, and great support on the boards!

I've ditched cable (except for high speed); HULU and Netflix are great, but I'd like to see local news and improve signal quality. I hope to lean on your expertise; I'm a newbie at this...

I will be installing in the attic of our 2 story home. Primarily interested in Network stations (ABC, CBS, FOX, & NBC). Will go to two TVs (main and computer).

There's a hill on the south side of house - while the hill is below the height of second story windows, a few trees stretch well above our roof from it.

TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da3255f901c7a7

I'd rather error on the high-side when choosing the antenna, instead of having to upgrade later. Unless recommended otherwise, I will be reusing the coax from Satellite - which is ran from the attic to a "junction box" in our MBR closet. If it's best to split closer to the antenna, I believe there are actually two coax from satellite. Though, I'll need to then connect the two lines at the "junction box".

Advice on Antenna and associate hardware ("splitter", booster, amplifier or etc) would be appreciated. Also, if I need help with the install - what skillsets should I look for (general handyman - once I spec the HW; assuming using existing Coax?)

Many thanks in advance!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 2:20 AM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Boy, I don't like the prospect of an attic installation for you! 2 edge defraction and trees up past the roof...Hmmm.. may I ask why you insist on an attic installation?
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 2:37 AM   #3
Buzzard

I'm within 30 miles of Atlanta - was "hoping" an attic install would work, simply to avoid a massive antenna outside - purely for aesthetics. Though, I was also slightly concerns with potential risk of the "lightening rod" on the roof??

While I'm not totally against an external antenna, I would rather it NOT be massive in size. Was guessing a much larger antenna in attic would have better reception than a smaller external one ? Thoughts? Also, I can install the one in attic, but will need to hire-out the roof work.

Do I have any reliable options for an attic install?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 2:56 AM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Attic installations are a box of chocolates: you never know what you are gonna get...LOL TVFool.com assumes that your antenna is mounted outside: whatever they predict for reception can't predict attic losses due to roofing, HVAC ducting, foil-backed insulation, etc. Frankly, your TVFool.report isn't that strong, and I forsee trouble with FOX, ABC and CW. You really need a fringe area antenna mounted on the roof if you want reliable reception from the Atlanta stations. Unfortunately, using a larger antenna in the attic isn't a replacement for a roof mounting.

If I was doing this installation, I would use a Winegard HD-7696P mounted on the roof aimed at 130 degrees, as measured by your compass. I would also use a preamplifier like an AntennaCraft 10G201, which combines high gain along with high input capability.

Try this in the attic if you like, but you will only be really happy with it if you mount it on the roof. Good Luck.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote