TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Dec-2013, 8:29 AM   #1
Damathon

Help with antenna (attic?) in North San Diego

Hi All,

I've been reading up on antenna info but I could use some advice on where to proceed. I'll start out with some info from the guidelines.

tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeed2ec9ff8a

Current equipment:
CM4228HD
Cable run 75-100ft with a couple connectors
CPA19 preamp
RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp (used to check if the CPA19 was working correctly)

I'm trying to hit all the major broadcasters (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW and PBS) with an attic antenna, if possible. With careful aiming of the 4228HD by itself, I can get the first 4 networks and a weak signal with no picture on CW and PBS. I thought using a preamp to offset the cable length might be enough to fix the dropouts but both preamps degrade quality by quite a bit so I suspect 8/10 are too strong. A rotator isn't an option because I'm looking to tune multiple at once.

Would a different antenna help? Or another antenna in combination with my 4228HD? Or is a roof install looking necessary?

Thanks for any info.
Damathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 8:49 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your report strongly suggests that you need to consider moving the antenna outside.

Though the CM-4228HD claims some H-VHF capability, I would expect the edge path conditions and wide separation between the main group of UHF only signals and the two H-VHF signals will force you to add a cut-for-band H-VHF antenna aimed at real CH-8 & CH-10. It's easy to combine the UHF antenna and H-VHF using the TVPRAMP1R.

Consider testing reception with just the 4228 outdoors, using this technique: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

If you can't find a compromise aim point that provides acceptable reception, get an Antennacraft Y10713 (A Y5713 may work. But the edge path conditions make me favor the larger antenna.) Rerun the test using only the H-VHF antenna, optimizing aim for CH-8 & CH-10. Then go back to the 4228 and fine tune aim for the UHF only signals grouped at 144°. When finished optimizing the individual antennas, I expect you'll be able to add the TVPRAMP1R into the system and have much improved reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 9:24 AM   #3
Damathon

Thanks for the quick reply! Adding another antenna is favorable to me compared with a roof install so I'm going to give it a try with the hi-vhf combo and see of I can get them all. If not, I'll start moving to the roof.

Your detailed post has been very helpful - I didn't even think about some obvious things like using magnetic direction instead of true.

On combining antennas using the TVPRAMP1R - would I expect to see my uhf signal improve if I set it to split and only plug the 4228 into uhf?
Damathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 9:43 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
------
Test reception with the , CM4228 , above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , East , South East , South .

Test reception without and with the amplifiers.

Aim the CM4228 antenna at about 162 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflecting signals bouncing all around.

The Best Pratice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

-----

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear the tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 7-Dec-2013 at 3:38 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Dec-2013, 3:11 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damathon View Post
...On combining antennas using the TVPRAMP1R - would I expect to see my uhf signal improve if I set it to split and only plug the 4228 into uhf?
If your only problem is excessive loss due to cable length and splitter(s), a preamplifier can be expected to help. If you have poor signal quality at the antenna (there is more to signal quality than just strength), an amplifier will simply drive a stronger version of the low quality signal at the tuner.

If you have only only one antenna connected to the TVPRAMP1R, set the UHF/VHF switch to the "COMMON" position. Also, set the FM trap to "ON".
http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/com...PRAMP1R_OM.pdf

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Dec-2013 at 3:17 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote