TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Dec-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
somebodynew

Reception Help, Jersey City NJ

Former Philly area resident looking to get as many Philadelphia, PA TV stations as possible.

I estimated my antenna height so it may not be exactly correct. I can not go up any higher with my antenna, it will be atop a 3 story building.

My TV Fool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aef37cccccfe

Any chance?
somebodynew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

This would be a true case of 'extreme measures'. The powerful local signals from across the river are going to make reception from 70+ miles very difficult (I'm trying to be optimistic).

It looks like every signal from Philly will be facing both co-channel and adjacent-channel interference.

You would very likely need to build a custom antenna for each channel received. Each antenna would be required to have very high gain in the desired direction while also having deep nulls in the direction of stations on the same frequency.

Of course, you can try a big antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P or Antennacraft HBU-55. (If it fails to give the desired results, there's ebay & craigs list).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2013, 1:52 AM   #3
somebodynew

Looks like Channels 6 is probably out of the question so perhaps I should go UHF only?

A couple more questions:

1) I see the warning for co-channel interference on KYW (26) and WCAU (34) but it doesn't say what those co-channel stations would be or what direction they come from.

2) The noise margins being -1 to -5dB made me optimistic but is that still too little?

3) Would something like a AntennasDirect 91XG with a powerful preamp work?
somebodynew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2013, 2:32 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Looks like Channels 6 is probably out of the question so perhaps I should go UHF only?

A couple more questions:

1) I see the warning for co-channel interference on KYW (26) and WCAU (34) but it doesn't say what those co-channel stations would be or what direction they come from.

2) The noise margins being -1 to -5dB made me optimistic but is that still too little?

3) Would something like a AntennasDirect 91XG with a powerful preamp work?
1) See the data here: http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...de=&longitude=

2) If there were no sources of interference to contend with, single digit negative NM predictions would not be too discouraging. However, you have so much power in the air from local signals. That's going to be nearly impossible to overcome with a consumer grade antenna.

3) Currently, the 91XG is one of the best off the shelf UHF-only options. But back to point '2', Your are fighting the local power levels over 60 dB (one million times the lower power level) more than the signals your are interested in. Any preamp you try is going to have to be able to deal with signal levels that will overload most if not all weak signal preamplifiers. Keep in mind, amplifiers do not add to the gain of the antenna. Amplifiers only 'push' signal through loss on the output side of the amp. (Losses are typically due to cable and splitters though a low noise amplifier may help overcome some of the noise generated inside the tuner.) Successful reception starts with the antenna and it's placement. If the antenna can not intercept a quality signal, no amplifier will solve the problem (hence my signature).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2013, 4:34 AM   #5
teleview

+=>
-------
A , www.slingbox.com , and a tuner and a antenna , can be set up in the Philly area , and stream the Tv stations via the Internet to your computer / smart Tv .

---------

Can also check out , www.aereo.com .

--------

Some Tv stations , can stream the Tv station to your computer / smart Tv.