TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Oct-2010, 5:02 AM   #1
degrizz

Antenna for Milwaukee and Chicago?

Hello great forum you have here.
I live in south eastern Wisconsin in between Milwaukee and Chicago, closer to Milwaukee. Looking to switch to OTA. the local electronics store and local installers are recommending I install two antennas. One facing Chicago and one facing Milwaukee They seem to like these antennas: Wineguard hd7697 facing Chicago and an Winegard 8bay bow-tie facing Milwaukee. One installer says pre-amp the other says amp probably not needed.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362fedc6cd1c1

what do you think?
degrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2010, 7:04 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

How many Tv's to connect? House , apt. , condo , motor home , mobile home? Where are the Tv's located? , any Trees ?

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Oct-2010 at 7:06 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2010, 2:58 PM   #3
Billiam

It appears as though you are only shooting for the stations in green and yellow in your TV Fool report. The antennas they have recommended are overkill for your location. Definitely will not need a pre amp.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2010, 4:32 PM   #4
degrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
How many Tv's to connect? House , apt. , condo , motor home , mobile home? Where are the Tv's located? , any Trees ?
one tv now right now two eventually one on each floor . I own my own small house with a 40' tv tower. No trees.

[QUOTE=It appears as though you are only shooting for the stations in green and yellow in your TV Fool report. The antennas they have recommended are overkill for your location. Definitely will not need a pre amp.[/QUOTE].

I would like to get as many channels as I can get. May be i am doing something wrong in tvfool.com because it seems it is showing more channels when I use "map it" as apposed to using "make radar plot". not sure.
Anyways what would you guys recommend? Thanks
Old 9-Oct-2010, 5:00 PM   #5
Billiam

Stations in red likely will require a pre amp and then you run the risk of overloading your gain for the stations in green and yellow. This could then backfire and leave you with substantially less local stations. Best to concentrate on obtaining a antenna to receive the stations in green and yellow and then if any stations in red come in, that is a bonus.

Since this is the case then the original recommendation by your local retailers might work out. You won't overload your tuner yet may have a shot at obtaining a signal or two in red.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2010, 5:39 PM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

I recommend the Winegard MS 1000 Non Amplified Omni Directional Antenna. Reasons: Lack of trees , tower height of 40 feet , uniform NM Noise Margins of channels all about same medium strength , distance to transmitters , Most channels in UHF with a few in the VHF Hi band. http://www.solidsignal.com . Please read and understand this http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Oct-2010 at 9:49 PM.
Old 11-Oct-2010, 3:16 AM   #7
degrizz

Winegard MS 1000 that's an interesting looking antenna. I like the price, probably easy install too, but I have not seen any like this in my town. How does it work?
I know you are the expert an all but I am hesitant to try something like this. I have never purchased an antenna before, Do stores generally take antennas back if you are not happy with them?
thanks.
Old 11-Oct-2010, 8:59 AM   #8
John Candle

Tv Reception

It is Ok to call solidsignal or send an e-mail and ask about returns. The only way to find out about if mashed potatoes and gravy taste good is to eat some. Read and understand this--> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , If the house is not wrapped with any type or kind of metal such as metal siding or stucko with stucko Wire or Etc. . I suggest this indoor NON AMPLIFIED antenna Philips SDV5119/27. . Do Not buy or use an amplified indoor antenna of any type or kind. Zip- zero and zilch. Turn the rods and loop of the antenna Broadside to the transmitters. Adjust rods of the antenna out horizontal or a Low Vee shape.

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Oct-2010 at 9:12 AM.