TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jun-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
tiredofpayingfortv

rural va antenna choices

I'm new here but after read some of the posts it sounds like some of you know more about my situation than I could ever learn so I'm looking for advice!

I have an old antenna mounted on my chimney 20-25 ft up and a booster of some sort with one part on the antenna and one part at the tv, all second hand so I don't know what it is but the antenna is pretty large and resembles the CM3671 or cm3679 and probably running about 35-45 ft of coax. On a good day I receive many more channels than antenna web says I could get and all the major networks some from as far as 85 miles away according to TVFOOL map and one from the other side of a 3000 ft mountain that is 5 miles away.
Everything I have read about digital signal indicates that I shouldn't be getting the reception I am getting, though I'm not complaining.
Here is my problem; Elements on the old antenna fold up every time the wind blows from the right direction so I need to replace it. My first thought would be to replace everything with new stuff and go with the strongest antenna possible but since I live on top of hill that's known for very strong winds for our area it seems like I should use an antenna or two that would take the least beating from the wind. Don't want to give up any channels either!
Sorry this got a little long!
Thanks,

76 Patton Farm Road
Stuarts Draft, Va. 24477
tiredofpayingfortv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Mount a Winegard HD7698P antenna and a Winegard AP 8700 amplifier on the roof. Pick a spot with as clear a view toward the stations as possible.

Use a Channel Master 9521A rotor to receive the maximum amount of stations.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

Here is your tvfool report based on the given address.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349099846b761.

Last edited by Electron; 20-Jun-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Electron

These Networks can be received 106 degree magnetic compass.
NBC , CW+ , ABC , CBS , PBS .
Are all UHF channels , Install a Winegard HD9095P UHF antenna with a Winegard AP8275 preamp aimed at about 106 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

To receive FOX and MyNetwork and more of , NBC , CW , ABC , PBS at 307 degree magnetic compass install a Winegard HD7696P antenna with no amplifier aimed at about 307 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

This is 2 Separate antenna systems and the 2 systems are not connected to geather on to one coax.

The 2 separate antenna system caoxes go to the location of the Tv where the 2 separate coaxes will be are connected to a remote control A/B antenna switch , http://www.radioshack.com , # 15-1968. or http://www.mcmelectronics.com , # 32-4425.
And the A/B switch is connected to the Tv.
Old 21-Jun-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
tiredofpayingfortv

Thanks for the replies! I forgot to tell you during the first post that I am using a rotor on my old antenna. Electron, would you still make the same suggestions? I played with the signal strength meter on my TV tonight and found that the signal strength for one channel can be inproved by moving the antenna a few degrees one way or the other but another channel in the same physical direction may need to move the other direction a few degrees which would suggest that you almost need the rotor for adjusting to channel that are in the same listed direction.

tiredofpayingfortv
tiredofpayingfortv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Electron

Being that you have the rotor , Yes use it.

If the rotor is required at all it will most likely be for one antenna.

You do understand that I have recomended a 2 antenna system that is channel surfing friendly.

A one antenna system with a rotor is IS Not channel surfing friendly , must wait for antenna to rotate.

Last edited by Electron; 21-Jun-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 21-Jun-2012, 8:33 PM   #7
signals unlimited

You have noticed something that others experts refuse to admit. Not sure why.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2012, 8:28 PM   #8
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast Tv reception and MORE.

If I were to post exact same words as signals unlimited , " You have noticed something that the other experts refuse to admit. Not sure why."

I would receive a warning or negative points or a possible ban and the statement would be removed by moderator GUM.

GUM would say that the word - experts - is a refference to the other advisors here at tvfool.

And the statement is needlesly rude.