TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jul-2015, 2:59 AM   #1
larrick29

Need guidance with my setup

Hey all - complete noob to the site here, but i do like what i read. everyone is very knowledgeable with their craft, and I admire that! im hoping your expert knowledge can help me in getting my signal to be stronger than what it is.

Here is my current setup:

Antennas Direct DB8 Extreme Range Multi-Directional 'Bowtie' UHF DTV Antenna
Winegard ANWI8700 Winegard AP Signal Amplifier

Mounted on my Roof in place of the DirecTV dish. About 15-25' from ground. I have it facing about 344 degrees north (based off the compass on my phone)

"Home run" RG6 cable ran from the antenna to the Winegard power (aprox 55'-65'). Winegard is mounted on the mast with the antenna (about 6" away if that much) From there, I have a small (6") cable jumping from the Winegard power block to a 3-way Time Warner splitter that i had laying around. From there, the -3.5db connection goes to my main TV (LG 55" LA6200). The second and third connections (both -7db) go to the bedroom TV (Sharp 42" LN50) and the third to the TV in the basement (Samsung DLP 50".) The second and third TV's i dont care too much about the signal that comes to them as the Samsung is only used when im on the treadmill, and the bedroom TV is only used to watch late night TV before falling asleep or other random times.

Here's my main complaint. As im very new to this, I wasnt sure if i needed the pre-amp or not, but it was part of a package deal on Amazon that seemed like a good deal to me. What I have noticed is that during the warmer months here in Akron, OH, that the pre-amp almost seems to hurt my signal strength. I notice that it kills my CBS 19 and Fox 8 channels. During the winter, however, it definitely helps to keep those channels clear. I'm almost wondering if i bought the wrong pre-amp or if i need one at all, and thats why im here. I would like to be able to get as many channels as i can, with the right setup. Im not opposed to buying the correct stuff, but i dont want to go crazy with the money.

Sorry for such the long post, but i tried to give as much info as I could.

Also here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e038cf85e4091

Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone for reading and let me know if i left anything out, or any other questions. (also if pics are needed of anything, im happy to oblige)
larrick29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

1. You should not need nor use a pre-amp. Eliminate it completely as it is far more likely to create new issues than to solve any unless there are undisclosed or undiscovered (yet) issues. Your signals are forecast to be "very strong" and the AP8700 is ill-suited for that environment.

2. WOIO operates two transmitters, one on VHF 10 and a low power channel 19 Akron translator. Do you know which signal you are getting?

3. The DB8 is a UHF-only design and does not receive the VHF channels well, especially as they drop in operating frequency. Both WOIO and WJW are VHF channels. The most reliable and predictable way to receive a VHF frequency is to use a VHF antenna. Using a UHF antenna to try and receive then produces results that are best described as "highly variable" (odd angles, low gain, etc).

4. What does the signal path look like? Is the antenna aimed point blank into your roof, your neighbor's house, a big tree, a forest, or a relatively clear area?

My recommendation is that the amp and its power inserter be completely eliminated and that you retest reception.

There are a significant number of FM stations in your general area, so the addition of an FM filter is suggested if reception problems with 8 & 10 (real channels) persist with the amp out of the circuit.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2015, 1:37 PM   #3
larrick29

Thanks for the reply!

1. Currently, the preamp is disconnected.
2. Right now, i'm actually receiving both of WOIO (10 fluctuates between 43-48% signal strength and 24 fluctuates between 58-62% strength. Both show Signal Quality of 100%) Those numbers are grabbed from the TV's menu itself (Manual Tuning option).
3. To make sure i'm getting the best signal for VHF and UHF, should i get a different antenna? IF so, is there one you could recommend?
4. Unfortunately, my neighbors have a HUGE Ash tree (maybe, not sure) that is about 40-50' tall, and about 40-50 feet away from where my antenna is. The antenna (i think at least) faces right into the two huge branches that come from the tree, but the other side of the yard is open. (My House faces East, so the antenna "could" ave a clear shot north if those branches wer to happen to give way. ) but the other half is completely open.

I just took a pic with my phone of the antenna from my Deck. (Sorry i dont have an extension ladder to get behind or a better picture of the angle of the antenna.) If i should move the antenna higher, i can, i have plenty of cable to run whole new line if needed. (i like the idea of no splices with any lines, so i have a 1000' roll of RG6 that i've used maybe 300' of running new lines in my house where i can.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1334(1).JPG (126.6 KB, 496 views)
larrick29 is offline   Reply With Quote